Lake of the clouds to crawford

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
Has anyone done a hike up to lake of the clouds and over to crawford notch? I am looking to finish off some presidential peaks i have not gotten to yet, and i am looking at distances, vertical, best routes to hike, where to spot cars, etc. I am looking to do all the presidentials on the ridgeline over to the notch. thanks for the help

An itininary that I did is: up Crawford path, tag Pierce, over Eisenhower, take the (very short) side trip to Franklin, up and over the Monroes (stay on the trail here--rare plants) and down to Lakes of the Clouds. To return, you can go down Ammo Ravine, or follow Crawford path back to Edmands path (which is what I did--recommended), or follow Crawford path all the way back to the car.

Descent via Ammo Ravine or Edmands requires a road walk. Or maybe you can bum a ride.

Doug

Southern Presies

I was just there last sunday. I love the view back from Pierce.
From Lakes south is pretty much down hill (albeit slightly) all the way with the occasional summit spur path. I think Eisenhower is the biggest elevation gain but its only like 350'.

Its about 7 miles to Pierce and If you go all the way out to Jackson its an additional 2 -2 1/2. Both Webster and Crawford Path dump you out at the Highland Center which should be busy with fellow hikers. If car spotting is a problem, a ride could be found there. Enjoy!

I went up the Ammo trail then to Washington and down the Crawford to Jackson and down Webster cliff. You could easily follow the Crawford trail instead of Webster Cliff. In fact it would be easier. I had a friend drive me from the notch to the Ammo trail but I think the AMC Shuttle serves both trailheads.

Here are some trip reports:

Fall trip
Nicer day
South to North
Pierce and Ike
It's easier to go up Ammo to Lakes and then south so you don't have the difficult Ammo descent at the end of the day.

There's not much choice of route, Ammo to Lakes, then take the Crawford Path to Crawford Notch. You can go over Pierce to Mizpah and then down from there, but there's no real point unless you want to visit the hut.

One advantage of going South to North is that it's pretty easy to hitch or grab a ride from the Ammo lot to Crawford, as nearly everyone is headed out that way at the end of the day. Just talk to people on your way down Ammo and you'll have a ride in no time.

-dave-