Learning to Coexist with Bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear hunting

I'm not a hunter so forgive these questions if they're rather elementary. What are the details on bear hunting season? Can anyone get a license to hunt bear? Is it one bear per season? Are there certain areas that hunting is restricted to? I'm sure that a mother bear with cubs couldn't be taken, correct?

Bob

Just a random thought.

If we don't want to bears coming to our yards and feeding from our bird feeders and trash maybe we should not be gorging on blueberries when we are in the woods?

:)

Bob

ps - I know, the forests are a lot bigger than just the trails :)

Bear Harvesting

In NY, A bear tag comes with a big game license. I think it is the same in VT. NH requres an additional bear tag for $5.00 when you buy a big game license. Maine Requires a $28.00 tag outside of the regular big game season; during the big game season, with a big game license, you may harvest one bear.

In the Catskills, a bear may not be taken among a number of bears. I don't think there are any other regulations beyond that in NY. I don't know about VT, NH and ME. I would like to think that bears are potentially self-sufficient by bear harvesting season; but I don't know, and I should. I would also like to think that cubs are not hunted, and mothers are not taken when among cubs, but I don't think this is addressed in the rules. Certainly a law deciding this issue would be difficult to enforce, and could be easily broken by accident.

Harvestermike

Last edited:
rondak46 said:
I would like to think that bears are potentially self-sufficient by bear harvesting season; Harvestermike

Interesting...Cubs stay with mama for TWO summers. They go to den with mama for their first winter, and stay with her until some time late in the next year(don't know exactly when). I saw a mama and didn't know she had new cubs, only months old, until she looked up the tree and drew my attention to them, about 40 feet up into the canopy.

Anyway, thanks for the link, Waumbek. It's a great story. I'm going to check into such an ordinance for the Conway area towns, lots of restaurant dumsters around here.

forestnome said:
I'm going to check into such an ordinance for the Conway area towns, lots of restaurant dumsters around here.

Good idea, fn. I remember the days when people used to have an evening's recreation watching the bears feed at the Dairy Queen dumpster at the 302-16 intersection. Fortunately, those days are long gone.

dentonfabrics said:
I'm not a hunter so forgive these questions if they're rather elementary. What are the details on bear hunting season? Can anyone get a license to hunt bear? Is it one bear per season? Are there certain areas that hunting is restricted to? I'm sure that a mother bear with cubs couldn't be taken, correct?

Bob

Bear hunting seasons, if they exist at all, vary from state to state and are very limited, maybe 2 to 3 weeks a year. Farmers can sometimes obtain Crop Damage Permits for destructive animals that can run year round. This is from MA;

"The bear population has grown from about 100 in the early 1970s to about 2000 in 2002, in response to increased legal protection, changes in forest structure and composition, and increased availability of supplemental fall foods. Massachusetts hunters can now enjoy a challenging big game hunt for which they once needed to travel to the remote country of northern New England.

Massachusetts bear hunters need a $5.00 bear hunting permit in addition to their basic hunting or sporting license. Non-resident hunters need a non-resident “big game” license. The season is open in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, and Worcester counties. However, the majority of the harvest comes from the area west of the Connecticut River. The season is split into 2 segments, including 17 days in September and 6 days in November. The September segment is timed to coincide with agricultural damage (particularly corn) whereas the November season is a traditional time for hunters who choose to hunt hardwoods and remote ridge tops. Most bears are taken in the September segment; however, some good-sized males have been taken in November. Check the “Abstracts” of the Fisheries and Wildlife laws for the exact season dates and regulations."

Chip said:
Bear hunting seasons, if they exist at all, vary from state to state and are very limited, maybe 2 to 3 weeks a year.]

Bear Harvesting Seasons are actually more extensive than deer, for the most part.

Adirondack

Early 9-17 to 10-14
Regular 10-22 to 12-4
Muzzleloading 10-15 to 10-21
Archery 9-27 to 10-21

Allegheny
Regular 11-26 to dec 11
muzzleloading 12-12 to 12-20
Archery 10-15 to 11-18
12-12 to 12-20

Catskil
Regular 12-21 to 12-11
muzzleloading 12-12 to 12-20
Archery 10-15 to 11-18
12-12 to 12-20

Vermont
Sept 1 to nov 16

New Hampshire
Sept 1 to nov 8

Maine
August 29 to nov 26

Mike

Last edited:
YES!!!
Those bear dogs do wonderful work.
Also, I think that anyone who has an encounter with a bear as a direct result of their irresponsible behavior should be fined.We have so much media available to us, why not educate people on what they should and should not do when they live or recreate in areas that they share with bears.
Note the article written about the laws in NH. It states something to the effect that "when the word got out that people were being fined, they became more conscious of what they had to do to coexist with their big furry friends." (not a direct quote) There is nothing like having to dig deep in those pockets to help improve the memory. You pay enough speeding fines and most will remember to lighten up on the accelerator.
Why should bears have to lose their lives over and over again because of our derelict behaviours?
When we saw the bear last year having dinner in the Cog parking lot trash barrel I could not comprehend why they do not have bear proof trash recepticles there. Something this simple and a nice poster educating visitors could go a long way in helping to protect the bears. The only thing missing was his plaid table cloth on the picnic table. What kind of message does this send to the clueless and who pays the price?:(
In the Smokes you get a $5000 fine if you are caught feeding bears.
They have great warning signs and it's up to you to pay attention. They can't catch everyone who breaks the law but at least it's a start. I caught a woman out there feeding a cub and I started yelling at her. You never saw anyone that big run that fast to get away. I think she thought I was a ranger because of my bright red gortex jacket, my pack, and the tone of my voice. The other were all looking at me saying "I didn't do it...it wasn't me".
The money collected in fines could be used to further protect wildlife and educate people, perhaps even to get some Karelian bear dogs.

Prevent Car Breaks: Remove Your Oatmeal

In a column on hiking Maidson via the Howks in this week's Mountain Ear, Steve Smith wrote that he stopped at Lowe's Store and heard from the proprietor that a bear had broken into a car that a hiker had parked there overnight. He went over, saw the smashed window, and also saw "a mess of oatmeal strewn all over the back seat."

After a hike over there today, I stopped at Lowe's for a cold drink and asked the prop. about it. She said that bears had broken through the windows of cars parked there twice now. I asked how a bear could smash a car window. She said that she thinks one window was very slightly open and the bear put claws through the gasket and into the slot and just yanked the whole window out.

This happened several weeks ago. Things have now calmed down at Lowe's, however. They've put a lock on the dumpster and, for hikers who park there overnight, they'll store coolers and food in a closet inside the store. (It doesn't do to put food in the trunk; if a bear can smell it, it will do a real job on the car's paint.) Also, the berry crop is in now and reportedly good.

Another smashed-window car-break by a bear, as reported in this week's Coos County Democrat. The parking lot was not identified.

[start quote] Bears are drawn to the scent of food, and last week, for instance, a car owned by an AMC Madison Hut crewmember, that contained a bag of chocolate-and-raisin trail mix, was broken into, its passenger-side window smashed to smithereens. [end quote]

Waumbek said:
Another smashed-window car-break by a bear, as reported in this week's Coos County Democrat. The parking lot was not identified.

[start quote] Bears are drawn to the scent of food, and last week, for instance, a car owned by an AMC Madison Hut crewmember, that contained a bag of chocolate-and-raisin trail mix, was broken into, its passenger-side window smashed to smithereens. [end quote]

Evidently some bears in this area now have learned to "see" automobiles as potential chow containers. That is not good news.

Note that in Yosemite National Park vehicle break-ins by bears have been fairly commonplace for some years. Here's what the park's web site says about the matter (somewhat dated, but still applies if you read the park's weekly "bear reports"):

In 1997, over 900 cars were damaged by bears in the park and most of these incidents were caused by improper food storage. If your car will be parked in Yosemite after dark, it must not contain any food or related items (see storage instructions in following sections).

• Bears have damaged cars for as little as a stick of gum or an empty soda can, so thoroughly search you car and remove all potential bear attractants. Bears can clearly smell any food in a car, even when it's stored in the vehicle's trunk!

• Bears recognize ice chests, grocery bags, and other food-related supplies. Such items, even when empty, have residual odors. Remove them from vehicles and store them securely. Also remove drinks, garbage, and scented articles such as soap, sunscreen, and toothpaste from vehicles. Don't forget to check the glove compartment!

• Clear your car's interior of clutter. This will reduce the chances of a bear mistaking an article for food, and increase the chances that you will find any stray french fries or other overlooked food. Child car seats should be removed from vehicles since they often have residual food smells.

• Remove all trash and place it in animal-resistant trash cans or dumpsters
G.

Waumbek,

if it was a Mad Hut crew members car, it was probably at the small lot in front of the AMC pack house which sits right behind one of the DOC cabins I frequent. It's about a 1/4 mile west of Appalachia on the other side of the road.

spencer

So considering the dropped french fries, shopping bags, chocolate milk, oatmeal raisin cookies, apple pies, soda cans, baby powder spills and assorted other attractants I shouldn't worry too much about my vanilla 'post hike odor control system' air freshener then???

Think a 'barking dog' machine on a motion sensor might scare them off?

Bob