Lessons Learned

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
We are approaching the end of one the best winter hiking seasons ever. What are some lessons learned, tips, or "I'll never do that again" that you could share with others.

For me:
1.) I now teather gear that I use frequently (camera, GPS, skiband), so that I don't drop it in the snow or lose it.
2.) I put unopened heat packs in my mitten shells so they are ready for use.
3.) I carry a foam pad to sit on, even though I don't use it much.

- I now carry two headlamps - extra batteries are certainly useful, but changing them in the cold dark isn't much fun!

I learned that getting rid of the 'base layer' of insulation, also known as FAT, makes for much more comfortable hiking. ;)

I saw several folks learn why I carry high volume snowshoes. A lot of the small easy to carry shoes just dont do well in powder.

What I've learned...

1.) No matter how many times I've done a hike, I will reread the trail description in the AMC Guide. As you've probably read, I fell through ice on a brook crossing I could easily have avoided. The fifth line of the trail description warned about the crossing and how easy it was to get around.

2.) We almost always hike in just our group of my wife, dog and I. I have pushed my wife on a couple of times when I probably shouldn't have. When conditions aren't ideal, or if one of us is having trouble, we should all turn back. We have turned back because of conditions twice and because of my "swim" once. This rule probably won't apply to many other groups, but it will to ours from now on. The mountains will still be there the next time.

3.) I lost a water bottle, someone returned it by mailing it and wanted no remuneration. My wife lost a camera, people behind us on the trail found it and returned it in the parking lot. I found a water bottle and returned it in the mail, so I was able to pass on the kindness. Today my wife found a camera and it turned out to be someone in our group who didn't know he had lost it. Make sure everything is stowed away properly! If you do find something, post it on a hiking forum. It's possible you can find the owner, I did. You never know when you might lose something and your kindness may be returned.

4.) Enjoy the hike. Take in the beautiful surroundings, the sky, the snow covered trees, the brooks. Enjoy the hike for what it is. Don't be so hell-bent on reaching the summit that the trip isn't enjoyable. Sure, most of us have lists we want to complete, but is that why we're out there?

OK, I'll stop. I'm sure I learned more, but you've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know!

KDT

Jason Berard said:
I learned a wet rib is a good thing to have. ...
I just got a "Wet Rib" a month or so ago when I saw one on Early Bird. I really like it. I found that the Nalgene pocket provided no insulation, so I lined the pocket with "Sill Seal". which is expanded polyethylene foam used in the building trades. It has a 3/8" thickness which is the perfect dimension for the pocket. If you know a buiding contractor he will have rolls of the stuff lying around.

I looked at the "wet rib" on line, and still can't tell what it is... something to do with a water bottle.

Its a small zippered bag with a water bottle holder attached. Its a good thing to keep stuff you may want immediately accessible in, like snacks, first aid kit, headlamp....whatever you want. Some people keep a Kraft grated Parmesan container filled with trail mix in the water holder ( right, Rols? :cool: ), but I like Paradox' idea of making it insulated as well. I used to keep all that stuff in my jacket/pants pockets, but when you layer up/down, that can be a PITA......

ALGonquin Bob said:
I looked at the "wet rib" on line, and still can't tell what it is... something to do with a water bottle.
I used to carry a "fanny pack" which I would wear as a "belly pack". It was convenient to carry maps, food, etc., however when I wanted to get to the contents of my pack, I would have to take off the fanny pack (which buckles behind my back, ie. tough to do w/ gloves on), then take off my pack. Then afterwards, getting all of it back on was more of a hassle.

The "Wet Rib" attaches to the shoulder straps of your pack in front on one side and has a quick release to the other side. All of this is in front and can be done with gloves on. Furthermore, the "Wet Rib" is worn on the hip so that your legs have more freedom to move forward than with the traditional fanny pack worn in front.

Last edited:
winter lessons...2008

What a great winter..so many days of good hiking...

Things i would share

I love my Katoolah 10 point crampons..excellent on hard packed snow or light ice..especially on descent....very light in weight..make stablicers virtually obsolete

Cliff gel blocks in small thermos with hot water a great lunch time boost

Plastic boots are not always the warmest...Scarpa charmoux did great

Always carry or wear your snowshoes..at least until June this year...

Paradox said:
We are approaching the end of one the best winter hiking seasons ever. What are some lessons learned, tips, or "I'll never do that again" that you could share with others.

For me:
1.) I now teather gear that I use frequently (camera, GPS, skiband), so that I don't drop it in the snow or lose it.
2.) I put unopened heat packs in my mitten shells so they are ready for use.
3.) I carry a foam pad to sit on, even though I don't use it much.

I've learned #1 and 3 also. I've heard about #2, but haven't "learned" it yet
:eek: Good suggestion. I do carry them, though.

I've also learned:
The warmth and taste of good soup in a thermos for lunch is a huge pick-me-up.
Bring an extra headlamp.
Be prepared to spend an overnight.
Go over (and through) gear before a hike, even if you just did one.

I have NOT YET learned (though I contemplate):
how not to let hiking lists rule my hiking goals.
how to properly juggle hiking and non-hiking interests.

Paradox said:
I just got a "Wet Rib" a month or so ago when I saw one on Early Bird. I really like it. I found that the Nalgene pocket provided no insulation, so I lined the pocket with "Sill Seal". which is expanded polyethylene foam used in the building trades. It has a 3/8" thickness which is the perfect dimension for the pocket. If you know a buiding contractor he will have rolls of the stuff lying around.
A bit of old yoga mat works well, also. It's a bit sturdier than sill seal, too.

1. All I need under a soft shell is a wicking Tee--in addition to the "base layer" Carole mentioned! :D Zip turtleneck is overheating overkill in most winter conditions.
  2. Insulated Camelbak tubes will ALWAYS freeze in winter, unless you tuck then inside your jacket or suck on them constantly.
  3. Not learned yet: how to get that winter pack weight DOWN. :eek:

Winter's not over ! Although it's been a long one, with winter conditions from Nov through...? I need to get out more yet.

I finally got on the Softshell band wagon, which has been a good move. 2 pair of wool gloves, 1 pair wool mittens and a waterproof shell replaced all fleece gloves for me. Lighter is better but it is difficult to get that winter pack weight down if you want to be safe and comfortable.

Way too many lessons to list here and still learning but......you are all doing a great job! :)
OOPS! The most important one is bring a dog :cool:
A GPS with a fur coat!

Last edited:
I use the hydration bags and never have freeze-ups even down well below zero. I have an insulated camelback with a valve at the end of the hose. I learned early on to blow the line clear after each drink and tuck the mouth piece in side my shirt close to my chest. This keeps residual in the valve from freezing and pulls the hose close to my neck where it stays warm. Then the only time you have to worry about freeze-ups is if your pack sits on the ground for awhile and is not getting body heat. This way I can drink on the run and stay hydrated something that is more critical to me in the winter. I also carry a cozy with an energy drink. Lessons learned: too many to list, every day out in the woods comes with new knowledge and experience. Cheers to a wonderful and long winter! ;)