Lessons Learned

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from a 3 1/2 day snow camping trip at Yosemite. A few observations-
1. Get an early start-setting up in the dark is no fun, especially alone when it is snowing.
2. Take blue pads of various sizes-I have 3-one longer one for a "chair", one shorter one for putting my stove on and a short one for standing or kneeling on.
3. Use a compass to place your tent in an East facing place, so the sun will hit it first thing in the morning-take into account tall trees.
4. Dig out your vestibule so you can sit in your tent door and put on your boots, cook, etc.
5. Make a kitchen like the one in Allen & Mike's Backcountry Ski Book. I made mine right in front of my tent and it worked great.
6. Always put little stuff into or on something bigger or you will lose it.
7. Don't take anything apart without doing it either in the tent or over a container to catch any parts you drop.
8. Plan on almost everything taking at least half again as long as you think it will.
9. Put cameras, batteries, socks, liner gloves, etc. in your bag at night. If you plan on using climbing skins, do the same. Cold skins are almost impossible to separate.
10. Take a spare canister stove as a backup. I use mine on dayhikes, too.
11. Take a headlamp-makes reading at night much better.
12. Don't sleep in the same socks you wear in the daytime. I have the heavy Capilene expedition socks, plus down booties (some people frown on down booties, but mine worked fine).
13. If you are taking a lot of gear, consider towing a sled-this is the only way I can winter camp-I have too much stuff to carry alone.
camp.jpg

kitchen.jpg

Last edited: