Let's Talk About Disgusting Back Sores

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
OK - this one may not be for the squeamish :eek: - but seeing that has happened on my last four hikes, it is very uncomfortable at first, and than downright painful for a day or two after, I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced my latest personal hell as well...

About 4-5 miles into a hike, of any degree of intensity I seem to have begun to chafe along my lower and upper back, where my pack makes contact with my skin (I do wear coolmax shirts)...I have long been a user of Body Glide on my inner thighs and crotch (I know - way too much information) and have never had the need to use it anywhere else - now I am thinking I may need to use it on my back as well - but for some reason it just seems wrong. Has anyone else chafed 1/2 of their back??? :confused:

I have been fortunate so far as I have not got any infections, but that could happen I suppose. The feeling this creates when the soapy, salty shampoo runs down my back on the post shower hike is rather intolerable - I screamed one time....the only connection to anything different in my hiking that I can come up with is that this started at about the same time 6-7 weeks ago that I started to get serious about what I eat - I have been losing a lot of weight by watching my intake and diet - not sure if this could have any connection - I have lost about a pound per week (after the initial big loss) - so I think I am going about this sensibly - eating well, and balanced and certainly not starving myself. Any thoughts and or ideas are appreciated!

If I have not made all of you ill yet - here is a photo of my chafed Italian background... :)

PICTURE
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CauGbVozaKIdI&notag=1

I wish I hadn't looked at that photo!

I've found two things to help with the lower back - 1) tuck in shirt so that it doesn't move around and 2) chapstick (believe it or not)

Eeee-eeewwww!

sapblatt said:
this started at about the same time 6-7 weeks ago that I started to get serious about what I eat - I have been losing a lot of weight by watching my intake and diet - not sure if this could have any connection - I have lost about a pound per week (after the initial big loss)

Have you cut way back on fats? You might look into a vitamin E supplement for skin health.

Also, you might considering changing shirts a couple times in the course of a hike. Back when I flirted with death by wearing cotton T's I would usually change on the trail.

I was going to suggest that maybe your backpack isn't fitting properly or you could benefit from a different style of pack that doesn't make as much contact, but then I clicked on the photo... I don't know of any pack that won't make contact in those areas. Do make sure your pack still fits now that your torso is a bit smaller - if it slides around unnecessarily, that's not good.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but my guess is these sores are caused less by friction than by pressure and lack of air - like bedsores, not like rug burns. Try taking a break at short intervals (half an hour or less) and letting your back dry off and air out for a few minutes. Carry a couple of clean dry shirts, and switch as often as you can.

It's also possible that an allergic reaction is a factor. Some folks with sensitive skin say they get results by switching laundry detergents - might be worth a shot.

Edit: Wish I'd thought of Barbarossa's theory of a fat-soluble vitamin deficiency.

Last edited:
JEZUZ!! You poor man! Congrats on the weight loss (been struggling in that area meself, but that's really irrelivant), but YIKES!

I have absolutely nothing to add, except that I get a weird rash around my ankles (which do not carry extra weight unlike my middle) every time I hike. One wonders if this is the same issue?

Alas, I have no answers. The place on my ankles is small enough that I can deal. But I have always wondered about allergies.

The lower part of your back looks like friction from your pack being too loose (I have had the same problem in the past).

The upper part of your back looks like the words "WILLY". I'd see a priest for that one... :eek:

Overall, it looks like your pack is moving too much when you hike. I suggest trying to adjust it and if you still have a problem, look for a different pack...

I got a rash on my chest the one time I carried a camera bag on the sternum strap. I suspect it was a combination of lack of air flow and movement. The pack straps don't cause a rash, however, so I am perplexed... The camera bag was the only thing different about that trip.

Tim

It does look like "Willy".

I'd try a "liner" shirt and a different laundry detergent. My son had an allergic reaction to a detergent that showed where his Lacrosse gear rubbed.

I guess I have a couple of questions. First, I would love to know what pack are you using? A picture of it on you from the front and side the way you wear it would be very useful. Second it sure looks like it is sliding all around because its not cinched down enough. Could that be part of the problem? It looks like abrasions, not a rash to me but with just one picture over the internet it is really hard to tell. :confused:

Another couple of questions. How much does your pack weigh and what are you packing next to your body?

Keith

Last edited:
Bag Balm is great for rashes and abrasions like that. I know it is made for cow utters but it works well on humans too.

SAR-EMT40 said:
I guess I have a couple of questions. First, I would love to know what pack are you using? A picture of it on you from the front and side the way you wear it would be very useful. Second it sure looks like it is sliding all around because its not cinched down enough. Could that be part of the problem? It looks like abrasions, not a rash to me but with just one picture over the internet it is really hard to tell. :confused:

Another couple of questions. How much does your pack weigh and what are you packing next to your body?

Keith

Thank you all for your insights...I will be trying out many of them!

More information - no more pictures! :D

I have been wearing this pack (Kelty Moraine) for over a year, and these problems have arisen recently. It is cinched pretty tight around by hips as is the sternum strap. The shoulder straps are pulled down too...it must be swaying, but it does not seem to be. I carry about 20 pounds on a normal hike (Including food and water. The closest item to my back is my Camelback (i have the 3L insulated version)...after that most of my stuff is stuffed into ultrasil waterproof bags and those are inside a contractor bag...the area of the pack that is nearest my body is very well padded on this model...the only hard thing in my pack (when I carry it) is my water filter - and that is not against my back at all...I do not find this pack to feel heavy, or to be uncomfortable in anyway - I really like it.

The sores are pretty much at the contact points where the pack hits my back...

I do tuck my shirts in...

I will try some sort of balm/lubricant on these areas next time...

Vitamin E I get - I will try fish oil...

sapblatt said:
Vitamin E I get - I will try fish oil...
An easy way to get vitamin E oil for topical use is to extract it from capsules. It is a thick gooey oil...

(The docs tell you to do this to put it on scars...)

Re the pack rubbing:
Rubbing happens when something is "medium" cinched down. If it is tight, it cannot move and will not rub. (You might have problems due to the pressure.) And if it is very light, then there won't be enough pressure to cause any problems.

You mentioned that you have the pack cinched down fairly well at your hips, shoulders, and the sternum strap. However, your spine flexes and this could be causing the problem. (Have you changed how you adjust the pack recently?) You could try adjusting the pack differently, for instance, try carrying it primarily from the shoulders with a loose waistbelt. (Waistbelts don't work well on me--this is how I always carry a pack.)

You might also try a different type of shirt--it might alter the friction or there might be something in the material that you are reacting to.

Also your loss of weight could be a factor simply because it changes your body shape. Perhaps another reason to try refitting the pack or fitting it differently.

Doug

Last edited:
nartreb said:
I was going to suggest that maybe your backpack isn't fitting properly or you could benefit from a different style of pack that doesn't make as much contact, but then I clicked on the photo... .
I did get the same lower back rash one time when using a pack that did not have adequate control on the bottle to keep it from swaying left/right. It was small and did have a hip belp but it moved too much. Plus it had an uncountoured back so the contact point was where the lower edge hit my back.

Surprisingly it worked okay except on hot days when I got chaffing to the point of creating a sore.

I would definitely look at the performance of other packs.

DougPaul said:
An easy way to get vitamin E oil for topical use is to extract it from capsules. It is a thick gooey oil...

(The docs tell you to do this to put it on scars...)

To extract, pierce the capsule with a needle or pin then squeeze the oil out, rub on affected area.

I imagine the fish oil was suggested due to the omega-3's. From what I've read, there's not much evidence that it aids skin problems. On the other hand, there no evidence to the contrary either. For those who wish to avoid a fish-based supplement, there are several plant-based options (see borage, evening primrose, flax seed, among others). As always, one should check for precautions, contraindications, and drug interactions prior to beginning a supplement.

Aloe applied topically can aid in healing skin. I see the plants in most grocery stores these days. Simply break open a leaf and rub it on the affected area.

Do you know if this is a heat/moisture based rash (like a bed sore) or abrasion (from rubbing)? If it is the former, an application of hot moist tea bags (black tea, no flavorings, something like Lipton Suntea) to the affected area for 20 minutes several times daily can be a big help to dry it up.

More questions (sorry if I've missed any answers supplied previously)
Are you allowing the affected area to heal completely between hikes? If not, you could have a single injury that has since been aggrevated.

Have you tried wearing different shirts? Different materials?

Have you tried carrying different packs?

Sorry to read and (see) about your back.
Many of the suggestions sound good, but I have read in some recent medical reviews that might want to be little careful about using vitamin E unless you are certain you have vitamin E deficiency. While a friend had suggested to me to use vitamin E for help in scar healing, my doctor (and recent medical literature) indicate that it does not provide any help.

Here's a link with some info about vitamin:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-e/NS_patient-vitamin-e

I think you're getting some good advice - between your change in body shape (congrats on the weight loss), and possible friction of synthetics on your skin plus a possible allergy to dishwashing soap there's several things to check out.

On vitamin E - have had great luck with the stuff over the years. As Dugan says, use a pin on a capsule. The best version of it is "delta tocopherol". Have found it to hasten healing, reduce scarring, and keep skin from drying out and cracking (which is very painful and prolongs the healing process). It is oily and sticky though, so sometimes a loose bandage works best.

To tie this into the thread about "Which knife to carry" - I use the little sissors on my Leatherman Micra to snip the end of a Vitamin E capsule if necessary if on the trail. The oil also lubricates the sissor.

Topical Vitamin E oil works wonders on wounds / scars. I once had dual road rash from a bike crash and tried it on one of the patches -- it is very hard to spot the affected area whereas the untreated spot is much rougher.

You can buy it in CVS / any drugstore, in a bottle. Get the highest IU you can -- it's thicker and sticks better.

Tim