Let's Talk About Disgusting Back Sores

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chipc said:
While a friend had suggested to me to use vitamin E for help in scar healing, my doctor (and recent medical literature) indicate that it does not provide any help.
FWIW, several orthopedic docs have recommended its (topical) use on my operation scars. I have no idea if it actually helps--if it does, the effect (on me, at least) is very slow. Other than being a mild annoyance to apply, it doesn't seem to have hurt anything, either.

As far as getting the oil out of a gel-capsule, any sharp object will do to poke a hole in the capsule. I happen to use a knife point. I'd also think twice about using the oil to lubricate anything--some edible oils congeal after a while.

Doug

Any comment I could add has already been stated so along with hoping you find relief and a solution I will add congrats on the weight loss. Lightening the load is a wonderful thing. :D

carole said:
Any comment I could add has already been stated so along with hoping you find relief and a solution I will add congrats on the weight loss. Lightening the load is a wonderful thing. :D

Yeah - you know, for all the ounce trimming I have done with the gear, it is nothing compared to the pound trimming around the waist - it makes a big difference - long way to go, but feeling postive about it and I am not feeling deprived...

Answering some other folks...

I think it is abrasion based - the pack and shirt have been mainstays for over a year...we have always used a low chemical detergent (arm and hammer)...I am really learning towards the readjusting of the pack idea...i feel the pain when I am moving with the pack, so my guess is the pack is moving for a few miles and causing the friction to cause the sores, then after the sores start, it further aggravates it...

I tend to hike every 7-14 days - It has been healed on every hike at the start - so it is recurring, but not a reagravation of the prior weeks sores...

First of all, congrats on finally getting started on losing the "baby weight", Mike. (Usually the mother does this, but I can see how some fathers can pack on a few extra pounds during and after a pregnancy.) ;)

I have been getting a similar irritation on my lower back, but that is because I keep getting spruce needles down the back of my neck while bushwhacking, and they get ground into my skin near my waistband and under the base of my pack. Not much I can do about that but pray for cooler weather so I can keep my collar "popped".

I would recommend two things for your "back issues":

1) The bodyglide can't hurt. If you are chafing in a certain area, applying a lubricant can never hurt. Think about it... if it works on your thighs, why wouldn't it work on your back? You'll need to find a good friend to get some of those hard-to-reach areas, though. (On your back, I mean - get your mind out of the gutter! :eek: )

2) Cotton won't kill you. The Coolmax is great for wicking sweaty moisture away and evaporating it, but it leaves behind a salty residue. I've always felt that rubbing salty synthetic fabrics against my skin causes the worst chafing. I have found that a soft, comfortable cotton t-shirt feels better against my skin sometimes because the sweaty area stays moist and the salt-to-moisture ratio doesn't increase as much as it would with a poly-pro shirt. Your safest bet would be to bring a dry poly-pro shirt in your pack in case you get stuck in some inclement weather, but wear a cotton t-shirt while you are hiking. You'll still sweat, but the softer material shouldn't cause as much irritation. Throw the Coolmax shirt on for the second half, or bring a spare dry cotton t-shirt to change into if your body temperature is stable and it is working for you. Some people even recommend wearing a fleece base-layer.

It goes without saying that making sure your pack is well-adjusted and all is a good idea. If that pack has worked for you this long, you shouldn't need a new one now.

Anyway, watch out if you're gonna tell everyone you're losing weight - we might start calling you VFTT's Biggest Loser! :D

I can't add anything...all the good ideas have already been covered. Just wanted to thank you for perhaps the best thread title I've ever seen on this site :) .

DougPaul said:
I'd also think twice about using the oil to lubricate anything--some edible oils congeal after a while.

Doug

Lest you misinterpret my post - when using the tiny scissors of a Micra on a capsule, invariably a small amount will remain on the blades. Have found that it's an 'accidental' lubricant and works well for that purpose.

As for edible oils - somewhat off topic, but ... for 20 years we had used a coal stove in the basement family room, and loved it. But, coal ash & dust is corrosive and in a moist environment (like a basement) a stove will rust rapidly during the warm months. Each year after carefully cleaning it, I'd rub motor oil over the outside surfaces. It worked fine, but we had to deal with the smokey residue when it was first fired in the fall. After a couple of years I started using olive oil. Worked just as well in terms of rust prevention, and the first firing was easier to deal with.

Kevin Rooney said:
After a couple of years I started using olive oil. Worked just as well in terms of rust prevention, and the first firing was easier to deal with.

Plus it smells like your making a pizza. :D

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Plus it smells like your making a pizza. :D

Keith
Exactly! And since firing up the stove coincided with an increased desire for comfort food that cold weather often brings, it was a good combo.

Now that I've managed to hijack this thread ... I wonder how many people will have pizza tonight? Not you, sapblatt - sounds like you're doing too well on your diet to fall off the wagon now. (Notice how I cleverly bring the thread back on track?)

Barbarossa said:
Have you cut way back on fats? You might look into a vitamin E supplement for skin health.

Also, you might considering changing shirts a couple times in the course of a hike. Back when I flirted with death by wearing cotton T's I would usually change on the trail.

PS, a cheap source of vitamin E is sunflower seeds (unsalted).

Also, I have bad chaffing on my nipples (go ahead, laugh ;-) ) when I use coarser grained sports t-shirts (a la coolmax type polyester shirts). I know the feeling of screaming in the shower because of the pain of shampoo coming into contact with the chaffed area. It's horrible.

Also, I'm not sure exactly how you're doing in your weight lost program so far, but if you've lost a lot of weight, your pack might not fit probably anymore: Can you say "excuse to go on another shopping spree"?!

Fish

SteveHiker said:
sorry to do this to you Mike, but this is all I can think of after seeing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwoZjsHs86A
LOL - It has been about 40 years since I did look good naked!
:)

FYI - everyone who suffered thru that horrible pic I posted in this thread - a combination of BodyGlide and wearing an undershirt have seen my problems go away - no issues at all on by recent three day trip - other than smelling like a grubby hiker caked in BodyGlide - nothing 3-4 showers could not clean up!