Little effort, great reward hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
I would like to know what are some good hikes that require little effort and have great reward (views, swimming holes, etc.) My wife does not do much hiking and I figure I may be able to bait her for more trips if I take her and the family on some of these.

Welch-Dicky in the Whites I felt would be on the list. We really enjoyed it.

Gap Mt. in the Monadnock area is another (see avatar)

Thanks, Brian

Mt Pemigewassett (Indian Head), Mt Major are two that I am sure of. I believe that Mt Stinson has great views, it was socked in the clouds when we were there. Cardigan from the west is a lot easier than from the AMC Lodge.

Hedgehog and Potash also, S. Moat is (I believe) a bit harder.

Mt. Martha is my all time favorite for views. I only did it in winter, so I don't know how hard it is in summer.

I also think a stroll into Zealand Notch is nice and easy - something I would take my mom into.

Pawtuckaway

If you visit the southern part of NH, Pawtuckaway State Park has three peaks (best views from North Peak.) The boulder trail in the north entrance (Deerfield rd) is very interesting with the path winding through (and under) huge boulders, past a cave called the Devils Den and a beautiful old growth hemlock forest to a somewhat open summit. The south entrance has a beach for swimming and mountain bike trails. The park is in Raymond.

Ripley Falls off US 302 in Crawford Notch State Park is a relatively easy, short, and mostly level hike. There are directions here and a lot more New England Falls here.

So Moat- this time of year you can access of the Kangamangus at covered bridge- follow past a small park on the Swift River- on a clear days views of Chocorua and Washington, some nice open ledges 4.6 rt. Mt. Crawford, a little steeper, views of the Presidentials. Willard is truly the best view for effort going.

Bald Mountain-Artist's Bluff Path is a short walk that will give you nice views. It only takes about 1 hour for the round trip.
The Mt. Morgan to Mt. Percival loop is also an easy hike but may be a little more challenging.

You can drive to the top of Whiteface, the 5th highest peak (I think) in the adirondacks :D.

Also heard you can drive to the top of Mt Washington...

The section of the Metacomet-Monadnock trail that goes south from Greenwoods Road to Royalston Falls is very beautiful. It skirts the shores of several very active beaver ponds (you may meet the residents if you're patient), follows carved ledges on Falls Brook, goes past the falls, and you can keep walking as far as you wish before returning. Masses of mountain laurel bloom in June. The only thing to watch for is that the trail (white blazes) turns right just before the falls: walking straight, you'll be on the Tully Trail, which also has some very attractive sections, especially near Spirit Falls, Doane's Falls, and Tully Lake.

A map is at

http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/37_tully_trail.cfm

Bald Knob and the Flume on the Mt Kinsman trail off Rt 116.

The other Rattlesnake Mt off Rt 25 near Rumney.

Lonesome Lake, well worth the view of Franconia Ridge.

10th Mountain Division view on the Al Merrill loop at Moosilauke.

-dave-

Mt Jo out of the ADK Loj.
Noonmark.
Round Mt.
Hurricane
Pilot Knob
Indian Head / Fish Hawk Cliffs
Gill Brook Trail
Tenderfoot Pool on Johns Brook
Monument Mountain

If you're willing to travel to the Adirondack High Peaks, I suggest Baxter Mtn, off NY 9N, between Keene & Keene Valley, and Owl's Head Mtn off NY 73 between Keene and Cascade Lakes. Each a brisk 25 minutes to summit. A little steeper and farther: as far as you care to go up the three Brothers from the Garden, Keene Valley.