Little effort, great reward hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dacks

I know your looking at NH, but if you come to the Dacks, Giant Mt has an awesome overlook about 1/2 hour into the hike. IF you're up to it, keep going, the view only gets better. When your done, there's nothing like a dip in cool Chapel Pond.

In Western Maine's Rangeley Lakes area, there are four easy hikes that I like. Bald Mountain in Oquossoc has great views from a tower and nearby summit ledges. The Cascades in Sandy Plantation/Rangeley has great waterfalls and gorges, plus interesting terrain. Bemis Mountain Peaks 1 and 2 from the Bemis Track or Route 17 is short but quite challenging, with excellent views (see my recent post in Trail Conditions). Angel Falls from the Bemis Track, is the tallest falls in Maine, requiring multiple stream crossings. I can provide information on each of these hikes upon request.

Bals Mountain/Artist's Bluff at the head of Franconia Notch. You can almost see the Old Man ... whoops:(

I'll also agree on Bald Mountin in Oquossic, ME. First time up (Thanks GO!) this weekend. One of the nicest views I've seen in a long while. Don't forget to stop at the Gingerbread House on the trip!

Hey SK!

SK,
Did you get my note about an access route in your old back yard? It is an issue of less effort, great (NH AT) reward.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Rondaxe Mountain (AKA Bald) by Old forge in the Western 'Daks.

For Those intersted in the Western ADK's near Old Forge NY, there is Rondaxe Mountain (AKA Bald) with a Firetower on it.
Just north of Old forge, off Rte 28, (The turn is between 3rd and 4th lakes, but you turn East, away from the lakes)

An easy 20-30 minute hike (about 7/8 mile) with a total elevation gain of 450'. The first part on a wide well worn trail and the rest on open bare rock slabs, with views galore. At the summit 2,362, there is a great old firetower that you can climb most of the way up.

Rondaxe Mountain near Old forge

Peaked Mt. in the Green Hills Preserve in N. Conway. A relatively easy hike with beautiful views. Good in any season.

After the hike is over, lunch at the Muddy Moose. :cool:

Steve

Tramper,
Haven't been home since Wednesday, so didn't see your note. I suspect you are referring to one of the paths that leave either Blais, Trudel or Enham Hill Rd, leading to Trident col. If so, I know them well. Last time up there, it wasn't as easy as it used to be. When I was growing up, the Trident trail from Blais Street was one of my favorite places to explore (and my first "real" hike).

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if that is what Al was referring to, it wouldn't fit the description of an easy/enjoyable hike at this point (you now pass dump:( )

Table Rock in Grafton Notch, ME.

Always thought Arethusa Falls was an easy walk with great reward, but my wife disagreed rather strenuously about the "easy" part!

In the 'Dacks:
-Azure Mt.- near St. Regis Falls and Santa Clara... An elevation gain of 700 ft. over about 1.5 miles yields rewards of a fire tower and wonderful views to the south and west over the northern Adirondacks and High Peaks.
-Black Bear Mt./Rocky Mt.- Both outside of the village of Inlet, these easy little peaks offer more solitude than the often crowded Bald (Rondaxe). Black Bear Mt. is much longer, as there is a lengthy, level approach to its base. Rocky is an easy woods climb of barely one mile. Both offer great views (in opposite directions) of the central lakes region.
-Cascade- 2.2 miles one way, 1900 ft. gain... The biggest reward for the effort of any of the High Peaks

In the Catskills:
-Overlook Mt.- Multiple tremendous views of the Hudson River Valley, the ruins of a never-completed grand hotel, and a fire tower...And the hike is even easy as it follows a gently graded old woods road. My only problem with Overlook is all of the other "junk" at or near the summit...
-Roaring Kill Trail, Pecoy Notch Trail, and Devil's Path to Twin Mt.- This climb is gentle until Pecoy Notch and features the delightful Dibble's Quarry less than a mile from the car. The Devil's Path section is steep but fun with some short scrambles and a nice lemon squeezer. 2.5 miles one way and approx. 1700 ft. gain...Great views from the areas around both summits on Twin..

Vermont:
-Mt. Equinox- A drive-up...and a fun one at that!

-C.

Climb:
The route up Katterskill High Peak from Pallenville in the Catskills. Start by climbing the Hudson side of the Catkill escarpment following old logging roads, check out Poets Ledge, 3 50' waterfalls, views of Katerskill Clove, 2 nice lookouts on the peak, one overlooking the Devils Path, the other of Katterskill Clove a plane wreck I've yet to find all in about 4 hours round trip. Savor this one in fall.

No climb:
Pharaoh Lake in the Adirondacks from the Beaver Pond approach. 1.5 hours of fire road walk and then you're at the lake, head to Watch Point. Lounge, loop the lake. Make plans to climb Pharaoh, swim to an island on the lake, bushwack Treadway or just to Devils Washbin.