Lodging for Marcy attempt?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend and I are planning a leisurely attempt on Mt. Marcy: drive up somewhere on Friday night, hike on Saturday (Van Hoevenburg Trail) and return to lodging, drive home on Sunday. My plan had been to stay at the Loj, but my companion wants a motel :( :(

Suggestions, please! No fleas, but cheaper is better than more expensive.

Thanks!!!

Over the years, we've stayed at Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn, the Alpine Air Motel, the Ramada, the Best Western, the Maple Leaf, and a few others that I can't remember the name. All were clean and quiet. Most were very inexpensive, others were higher mainly because we wanted a deluxe room (got engaged in Lake Placid last year :) ).

Only problem may be the late notice. You can try this site for starters. Also, if you want, send me a PM and I will send you a Word document that I created years ago with a list of motels in Lake Placid.

Rob

I second jackrabbit. They have a hostel, for $20 a night, its not bad. I stayed there on my last attempt at Marcy. We hiked out from Bushnell falls after a night of -30 degree temperatures. It was nice to stay somewhere warm.

-percious

Art Devlins

Art Devlins Olympic Motor Inn, has some of the best views going. It doesn't sound like you will be spending a lot of time in the room, but they have balconies with terrific views, a great pool, and they take dogs. Also, the rooms are very nicely appointed. I have never been disappointed there.

For something more rustic, but still cheap, try the Wilderness Inn in Wilmington. They have nice 1 and 2 room cabins with woodstoves/fireplaces. They also have a good restaurant and it is close to the Hungry Trout. Mmmm, Hungry Trout...

RVT

Mohamed,

My brothers and I have stayed at the Econo Lodge on Cascade Rd. just south of intersection of Rt. 73 and Rt. 86. (518-523-2817). Very clean, pretty inexpensive. Even has an indoor pool. It's about 25-30 minutes drive to the Loj. Very convenient for yummy post-hike dinners in Lake Placid.

For something more rustic, there are a set of cabins for rent on Rt. 73 in the village of Keene (not Keene Valley). I can't remember the name, but they are right across from a service station/convenience store on Rt. 73. Hot showers and TV, but nothing very fancy.

We have also splurged and stayed at the Keene Valley Lodge in Keene Valley. A very, very nice B&B.

Have fun!

In Lake Placid, I've stayed at the Hotel St. Moritz. Don't let the outside appearance (or the wierd lobby setup) fool you, rooms are clean and comfortable. This is definitely only a place to sleep - no frills - but cheap and right in Lake Placid. You can walk to the Brew Pub - a big plus for me.
The Woodruff Motel in Keene is also very cheap. Again, just a clean room and bed.

Town House Lodge, Lake Placid. I have stayed there 4 or 5 times. Ask for Iris (the Owner). Nice lady, comfortable clean affordable rooms with mini-fridge, coffee pot, close to village.

Mo, Jackrabbit - either way, room or hostel. Very close to where you want to hike.

Keene and Keene Valley are too far from your trailhead, and any "chain" hotel in LP is hardly inexpensive... If things get tight for rooms, I'd second the St. Moritz.

Enjoy Tahawus, and be good to the knees. It can be a bit of a long, pounding down on the way out.

Last edited:
Keene and Keene Valley are too far from your trailhead, and any "chain" hotel in LP is hardly inexpensive... If things get tight for rooms, I'd second the St. Moritz.
Keene Valley is about 12 miles farther from the Loj road, but probably on the way if Mo is coming from home. TripAdvisor.com reports room rates as:

Jackrabbit Inn
General price range: US$ 68 - 160

Econo Lodge
General price range: US$ 39 - 149

I think we paid about $70 for a room at EL last time. Hardly expensive. I'll have to check out Jackrabbit next time I'm up there for future reference.

DanaG said:
How tough is the hike up Marcy? Planning on doing it in July for the first time.

Dana - It's not a hard hike, just long. The trail is well worn with a lot of rocks so it's pretty hard on the way out, as mentioned it keeps on going and going. You'll enjoy the break offered at Indian Falls - to many, a favorite place amoung the high peaks.

Mark - the $$ are all relative. I think Mo was looking for a place to crash, and from my perspective, $70 is an expensive crash pad. Nobody is right or wrong, just passing on information. My experience has been that the EL has always been up there with the best of them in town, and more apt to adjust rates to what's happening in town. The Jackrabbit is an older "strip" motel. Decent, not fancy with a more consistent rate structure.

And an extra pillow for my dog

I'll add another endorsement for both the Town House and Art Devlin's -- and also mention that Edge of the Lake, almost next to the Town House, has reasonable rates and, like Devlin's, allows dogs.
Happy trails --
Uncle Butch

lodging

My all time favorite spot is the Cobble Mt. Lodge. I first stopped there as they had a giant sign with 35$ on it. Its now 45$. It's the most Adirondacky place I've ever come across.

Anybody remember the name of the campground we held Gathering 5.0 at? They had a few cabins that were more than adequate for two people and, from what I saw, clean and pleasant. That was very close to the access road to the Loj.

I ended up staying at the Adirondack Ark, on Rt 9N just north of the Keene/Jay border. Clean, basic, TV but no A/C or telephone, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and fridge. Price was right, $39 for single, $45 for double, plus tax. Great place for short notice trips, there were vacancies on the weekend! Phone 518-946-2276, no email or web.