Looking for a GPS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

I did a search here and found a few hits for Garmin 60 CSX. Looks awesome, but unfortunately I can't lay down that much coin for a GPS. Any suggestions for a GPS for hiking for less than $200.

I briefly had an eTrex Legend and found the 8MB of mapping memory to be very limiting. I returned it and upgraded to the eTrex Vista with 24MB of mapping memory. Combined with Garmin US Topo (1:100K maps), I can load maps for reasonable areas into the GPS. I also like the barometric altimeter. (I virtually never use the internal magnetic compass.)

The current SRP is US$241.41, so you should be able to get one for under 200. EMS also has a 20% off sale on right now. I didn't see the Vista on their website, but IIRC it looked like they had it in the Burlington MA store. 781-229-9797

Froogle lists refurbished units starting at US$158 and new starting at US$174.

Doug

I just got my Christmas present (I can't open it unitl then, but I did sneak out the owners manual to read) - a Garmin GPS - 60C. Its the same model as the 60Cx, except it doesn't have the removeable memory card. It has 56 meg of memory. Its been discontinued by Garmin, TigerGPS has it for $239.

Brian

VTskier said:
I can't open it unitl then, but I did sneak out the owners manual to read
You don't even have to sneak around--the Garmin manuals are downloadable from their website. The online copy may even be more recent than your paper copy.

Doug

Doug,

I've been thinking about asking Mrs. Santa for one, but she wouldn't go for a $500+ color unit. She might go for $200.

I see that Topo has the Garmin eTrex Vista on its list of supported machines. Anyone using these together? How do you like them?

Also, about the maps -- Do I have to purchase additional map(s) to get the WMNF map(s) into the GPS?

[EDIT: I see http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_product.jsp?sku=010-00243-00 that they are extra]

What about battery life? 12 hours is pretty lame for 2xAA... I'd hate to rely on that for a long traverse :(

Two primary uses of this device will be while boating on Lake Sunapee (handy if foggy) and hiking in the WMNF.

Thx,
Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
I've been thinking about asking Mrs. Santa for one, but she wouldn't go for a $500+ color unit. She might go for $200.
The EMS sale brings the fancy 60CSx down to $400. (Maybe she will let you contribute...) I have one and like it--its poor-signal capabilities are impressive. (Added a 2GB data card so I can store lots of maps onboard.)

I see that Topo has the Garmin eTrex Vista on its list of supported machines. Anyone using these together? How do you like them?
Which topo? NG TOPO! or Garmin TOPO US? (I have both.) If you want to load maps into a Garmin GPS, you will have to buy the maps from Garmin (ie Garmin TOPO US). NG TOPO! has prettier maps. Either will do waypoints, tracks, and routes.

Also, about the maps -- Do I have to purchase additional map(s) to get the WMNF map(s) into the GPS?
Yes, but you can buy them later.

[EDIT: I see http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_product.jsp?sku=010-00243-00 that they are extra]

What about battery life? 12 hours is pretty lame for 2xAA... I'd hate to rely on that for a long traverse :(
The 60CSx is more like 16 hrs... :) GPSes eat batteries. Either only turn it on when you need a fix or carry spares. NiMH rechargables are very practical.

Two primary uses of this device will be while boating on Lake Sunapee (handy if foggy) and hiking in the WMNF.
Good for both. And you may find it handy for navigating in the car too (even with only the topo maps).

BTW, you can preview the maps on the Garmin website.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
The EMS sale brings the fancy 60CSx down to $400. (Maybe she will let you contribute...) I have one and like it--its poor-signal capabilities are impressive. (Added a 2GB data card so I can store lots of maps onboard.)

Meaning it tracks better under the canopy of the trees? I.e., Black Pond bwk to Owl's head?

DougPaul said:
Which topo? NG TOPO! or Garmin TOPO US? (I have both.) If you want to load maps into a Garmin GPS, you will have to buy the maps from Garmin (ie Garmin TOPO US). NG TOPO! has prettier maps. Either will do waypoints, tracks, and routes.
I have the NG Topo 4.2.2 software. Pretty good, except the mouse does not track as well as I would like. It would be GREATLY improved if it "knew" how to follow printed trails.

I notice that Amazon has the eTrex Vista for $187.85 (click to display -- too low to "advertise").

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Meaning it tracks better under the canopy of the trees? I.e., Black Pond bwk to Owl's head?
Yes. It did on our GPS bakeoff and has on a bunch of private tests (which I'll post one of these days...).

I have the NG Topo 4.2.2 software. Pretty good, except the mouse does not track as well as I would like. It would be GREATLY improved if it "knew" how to follow printed trails.
AFAIK, NG TOPO! doesn't understand what is on the map. It is just an image of the paper map.

I notice that Amazon has the eTrex Vista for $187.85 (click to display -- too low to "advertise").
Sounds like a decent price.

The eTrex Vista has a fairly good basemap (as basemaps go). You can program in routes and waypoints before going out using NG TOPO!. Then when you can afford it, you can get Garmin Topo US and load maps into the GPS. (Once you start using a mapping GPS, you will never go back...)

Doug

Is the Vista "usable" or "useless"? My mother-in-law's husband is a forester, former forest service, and his complaint was he never got reception in the woods. I don't know what model he used.

I am pretty sure I'm not ready to shell out the bigger bucks, at least not this year.

NG Topo has no clue what's under the cursor. I'm just saying it would be really nice if it did. Even cooler would be to follow roads and connect points via roads and/or trails - so I could plan bike routes as well (and get profiles.)

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Is the Vista "usable" or "useless"? My mother-in-law's husband is a forester, former forest service, and his complaint was he never got reception in the woods. I don't know what model he used.
I used an eTrex Vista for several years. Usually I got adequate reception, sometimes not. I was generally able to get a fix when I wanted one. There are also a number of techniques that can help--a number are listed in previous threads on GPSes. It is a good GPS (top of the line about 2 generations back), but some of the more recent models are better--the 60CSx is Garmin's current top of the line.

Some users also do things that cripple the GPS--such as holding a finger over the antenna, orienting it badly, or carrying it in a bad place.

When signals are very good (eg well away from shore of a large lake or from an airplane) any half-way modern GPS will work well. When signals are essentially nonexistent (eg in an underground cave), no GPS will work. When the signals are weak and/or some satellites are blocked (eg under heavy tree cover and/or in a narrow valley), some GPSes will work better than others.

FWIW, I used the Vista on my Mar 2005 bushwack to Isolation (posted in trip reports). I was able to get fixes when I needed them.

NG Topo has no clue what's under the cursor. I'm just saying it would be really nice if it did. Even cooler would be to follow roads and connect points via roads and/or trails - so I could plan bike routes as well (and get profiles.)
Garmin Topo 24K is trail routable.

Doug

Last edited:
FYI....Garmin is currently offering a $50 rebate on the 60csx model.

Rebate

If you were to pick one up at EMS for $400 as Doug had suggested, the rebate would bring it down to $350.

You could also order it online. I found it for as low as $370, so with the rebate you're looking at $320!

Online Cheap

I have this unit myself and highly recommend it. The new SiRF chipset technology is highly sensitive. I'm able to receive a signal from anywhere within my house, including the basement! I had an eTrex Vista which I gave to my father. It would consistenly lose signal while hiking through the woods. With the 60csx, I'm quite certain you could put the unit in your pocket and it wouldn't miss a beat. I've yet to to see it lose a signal on any of my hikes, and I've been using it for about 10 months now. (I carry it attached to my shoulder belt)

Good luck with your decision.

- Bill

Thanks for the opinions.

If my BikeHikeSkiFish budget were unlimited, I'd go for the best I could get. Unfortunately, it's not. I could put the $400 ($320) unit on my Christmas wish-list and probably not get anything, or I can put the $187 one on the list and it may appear under my tree this December...

(I've already spent a chunk of money getting re-started hiking this year...)

Tim

I think it's good that my GPS loses signal. It keeps me on my toes!

I just got home from a round trip flight to Florida. I have always enjoyed taking my GPS along, so I can follow the route. But my eTrex Vista and eTrex needed to be held against the window in order to get and retain a signal and sometimes it would be five minutes or more before it would lock on enough satellites. This is the first plane flight I have taken with the Garmin 60CSx and I found that once it got a signal I could set it on my knee, hide it with a Sudoku puzzle book, and could keep an eye on it for the whole flight. (I once had a flight attendant tell me to put it away as it was against FAA regulations!?) The 60CSx stays on the whole flight (gate to gate), no one knows I have it, and I don't have to hold it against the window. Bliss.

I have an eTrex Vista model. I do lose satellite lock at times when in the woods but that is not what I bought it for. I can get satellite reception in the woods if I look for a bit of a clear spot and hold it slightly away from my body so I don't block the signal. If I was bushwacking or lost in the woods it would help me find my way (along with my map and compass). I bought it for navigation above treeline in low visability conditions. With major waypoints preloaded from the TOPO mapping software I feel comfortable I would not get to lost. (I also bring spare batteries.) I do bring it on most of my hikes. It is a neat gadget to play with as well. I like the altimeter funtions. The Vista has both a barometric and an gps altimeter. Battery life has not been much of a problem. If I plan to keep it on continously during a hike I make sure I put in fresh batteries. I generally do not keep it on for an entire hike unless I want to use the tracklog for some reason.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
I just got home from a round trip flight to Florida. I have always enjoyed taking my GPS along, so I can follow the route.
A common form of entertainment among GPS owning fliers...

But my eTrex Vista and eTrex needed to be held against the window in order to get and retain a signal and sometimes it would be five minutes or more before it would lock on enough satellites. This is the first plane flight I have taken with the Garmin 60CSx and I found that once it got a signal I could set it on my knee, hide it with a Sudoku puzzle book, and could keep an eye on it for the whole flight.
An advantage of the newer, fancier, (and pricer) toy...

(I once had a flight attendant tell me to put it away as it was against FAA regulations!?) The 60CSx stays on the whole flight (gate to gate), no one knows I have it, and I don't have to hold it against the window. Bliss.
Using the GPS is ok with the FCC and ok with the FAA above 10K ft (ie when other electronic toys (eg laptops) are allowed), but not with all airlines--some allow it some don't. (See http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm for a list.) The captain's word is law and you can get in trouble for using the GPS below 10K ft or if prohibited. (The captains usually follow the company policy.)

All GPSes emit weak radio signals which could potentially interfere with some of the onboard electronics. A malfuntioning GPS has a chance of emitting stronger signals on even more frequencies.

For the airlines, it is basically a risk vs passenger satisfaction issue and only a small percentage of passengers carry GPSes.

Doug

Last edited: