Looking for NJ hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so many, I dont know where to start. Google the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, (Mount Tammany Red-dot trail), Worthington State Forest, Stokes State Forest, and High Point State Park. In addition, check out Norvin Green State Park, Wawayanda State Park, Abram Hewitt (sp?) State Park, Ringwood State Park, and Ramapo Mountain ........ to name a few. That should get ya started.

I'll send you a PM later with my phone # ...... would be happy to give you more details when I have more time .......

Rob

Ok, great start!

Now, tell me your FAVORITE hikes in NJ!

State parks, web references and maps are great for putting stuff on my web page, but I need to know what you liked and WHY! Great views, saw a lot of wildlife, far from the crowds, what was the hook? Views And Brews tries to find hikes that people will enjoy as much as the beer they drink after the hike! :D

daxs said:
If you hike in the Delaware Water gap area, drive across the bridge into PA to Tannersville area. There is a nice brew pub there called Barley Creek

http://www.barleycreek.com/
Whoa now, one state at a time! :D We'll get to PA eventually...

I appreciate the reference, but I'm trying to keep every state separate for now.

The only hike I ever did in NJ was at Alpine scout camp (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...73.912239&spn=0.021706,0.030899&t=p&z=15&om=0)
There's a pretty cool hike down and up the palisades over there, but that's about all the info I can give you. I have the NYNJTC map of that area if you're interested.

The views were pretty neat in that area (although obviously quite urban). The dramatic elevation change made the hike fun as well. If I recall correctly (this was a long time ago) we went down one trail, hiked along the Hudson, then up a different one.

bignslow said:
The only hike I ever did in NJ was at Alpine scout camp (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...73.912239&spn=0.021706,0.030899&t=p&z=15&om=0)
There's a pretty cool hike down and up the palisades over there, but that's about all the info I can give you. I have the NYNJTC map of that area if you're interested.

The views were pretty neat in that area (although obviously quite urban). The dramatic elevation change made the hike fun as well. If I recall correctly (this was a long time ago) we went down one trail, hiked along the Hudson, then up a different one.
Good idea, I've always wanted to hike along there!

Tom,
I am incresing my activity in NJ and just picked up a couple of books on NJ trails (getting tired of the AT :D )...

One is from Bruce Scofield called something like "Circuit trails in Northern NJ". (I think Bruce wrote or edited some of the ADK guides or trail series).
The other is from what I refer to as the "50 best Thwaite series" (from author Tom Thwaite) of 50 hikes in NJ.

I haven't started in on it, but I will let you know if I see or do any great hikes.

Bearfort Ridge loop on the west side of Greenwood Lake in Abram S Hewitt State Forest.

Point Mountain, in a Hunterdon County park near Washington, NJ.

Mount Tammany in the Delaware Water Gap itself. Frequently crowded but well worth it. Longer version follows fire road along the ridge to Sunfish Pond.

Jenny Jump State Forest, in Hope, NJ, has a nice ridge walk loop and views.

Sourland Mountain -- another Hunterdon/Somerset County Park that is not too far from a brewpub in Lambertville, NJ.

Apple Pie Hill, in the Pine Barrens. Views from all 210 feet above sea level. (Has a fire tower, too.)

Forked River Mountain, also in the Pine Barrens. This one offers a good navigation challenge, and more good views.

Why these? Well, they all offer great views, some measure of solitude at the right moments, and are much more "wild" than one would expect of New Jersey. And these are the obvious ones! I'm not divulging the really wild spots...

How's that? :cool:

Last edited:
Many great hikes posted so far, but I'm suprised none had mentioned this one. Wildcat Ridge in Rockaway, NJ is by far my favorite in the state. I grew up in the area, and enjoyed Tourne Park in Boonton as well, but Wildcat Ridge really takes it. Since I've last visited, I've heard that they put up an ugly aluminum summit structure, but it would be hard to ruin the view...

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/WCR_5602.asp

My favorite hike was to go up from Stony Lake on the Stony Brook Trail, and then hit the AT. You head south on the AT to the Culver fire tower. From there, return to the Stony Brook trail on the Tower trail (think thats the name) and out. I have seen tons of Willdilfe- bears, deer, great views from the At in to the valley, a very cool open stone shelter- and a firetower... lots of places to hang out and enjoy

Last edited:
Tom, that was only only brew pub I knew of in that area of DWG.

Tuco can prob second this, but do not send anyone into the Penn National Forest as past of a pine barren hike in south central NJ. Truly a bad experience.

Mt Tammany via the red dot trail following down to sunfish pond it a nice hike. The sounds of Rt 80 can be a bit distracting. And of course, Sunfish pond is one of the 7 wonders of NJ. I thought it was pretty hiking along DUnnfield creek at the end of the hike. Hiking here with Jay H and another friund a few areas ago, we came across a very large bear in the trail. The bear was more afraid us and took off quite quickly.

If you can wait untill 2009, you can buy my friend Paul's book .

Probably not... ;)

daxs said:
Tuco can prob second this, but do not send anyone into the Penn National Forest as past of a pine barren hike in south central NJ. Truly a bad experience.

I happen to like Penn State Forest. It is an easy way to see the Pine Plains. And there is Bear Hill or something, the other high hill in the Pine Barrens.

Pine Barrens hiking has a totally different feel than New England, or even northern New Jersey.

I was thinking the same thing as Carol. Had a nice hike along the Batona- the one time in the pine barrens it was like walking on a sandy road among small trees. Very hot- and a couple of cars drove by. But heck, it was better than sitting at home.