Looking for NJ hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, been in Maine over the weekend. Northern NJ is my backyard..

Firetowers:

Culver Mt in the Kittatinies (by the AT).. I think that is Stokes state forest and it's on the AT too I think. (culver's gap)

Bearfort Ridge has a nice firetower and a very short hike. Parking lot can be tricky to find and it's a dirt road at least for the short access, lots of nicer longer ways to get in there from Clinton road or from greenwood lake turnpike.

Sterling Forest firetower (in NY state) can be reached from NJ via a long hike using the highlands trail from say long pond ironworks.

There are numerous other "lookout towers" and old ruins of old mansions all over the place. ramapo forest, Ramapo reservation. Ringwood State Park to name a few.

Lots of iron mines to speak of in Norvin Green, Ringwood State forest.

Bears to check out in Wawayanda (at least I almost always see one there).

Fantastic shorter places like Norvin Green State forest, Pyramid Mtn reservation..

Jay

Jay H said:
Sorry, been in Maine over the weekend. Northern NJ is my backyard..

Firetowers:

Culver Mt in the Kittatinies (by the AT).. I think that is Stokes state forest and it's on the AT too I think. (culver's gap)

Bearfort Ridge has a nice firetower and a very short hike. Parking lot can be tricky to find and it's a dirt road at least for the short access, lots of nicer longer ways to get in there from Clinton road or from greenwood lake turnpike.

Sterling Forest firetower (in NY state) can be reached from NJ via a long hike using the highlands trail from say long pond ironworks.

There are numerous other "lookout towers" and old ruins of old mansions all over the place. ramapo forest, Ramapo reservation. Ringwood State Park to name a few.

Lots of iron mines to speak of in Norvin Green, Ringwood State forest.

Bears to check out in Wawayanda (at least I almost always see one there).

Fantastic shorter places like Norvin Green State forest, Pyramid Mtn reservation..

Jay
Are any of these in the middle of the state? Most of the hikes I have so far are at the top and the middle/South. (See Google Map above).

For Basil T's in Red Bank, you could include a hike on Sandy Hook. Not very long, but great views of the bay and New York City.

The Watchung Ridge is another good central NJ spot somewhat close to New Brunswick.

You might combine the Milford brewery with either the Delaware and Raritan Canal Towpath, or Musconetcong Mountain/The Highlands Trail.

There really isn't much in the way of hiking through the very middle of the state, unfortunately.

Also... UNO??????? :eek:

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
Are any of these in the middle of the state? Most of the hikes I have so far are at the top and the middle/South. (See Google Map above).

Ohh, not really.. mostly northern...

Middle of the state...

Alaire State park (i've only biked there (exit 98 GSP))
Cheesequake State park (exit 120 GSP).

Hartshorne Woods
Huber Woods

the above two have some nice trails that lead to the sandy hook bay. They are by Sandy Hook..

Although I've never really hiked the central NJ trails, I've mostly Mtn biked them.

Jockey Hollow/Lewis Morris is in morristown, somewhat centrallish...

Wharton State forest has trails but then you get into the pineys and as daxs and tuco mentions, seems easy to get lost.

Jay

i live 2 miles from the mohican outdoor center on the appalachian trail. (blairstown). the catfish fire tower is very close. tom, i am sorry for not contacting you ...... my mom is dying, i think. she is doing very bad over past few days (had heart surgery a few week ago). when things settle down i promise to get ahold of you and help you with this project ...... i live in northwestern nj (very rural) and close to lots of hiking.

Hobbes said:
i live 2 miles from the mohican outdoor center on the appalachian trail. (blairstown). the catfish fire tower is very close. tom, i am sorry for not contacting you ...... my mom is dying, i think. she is doing very bad over past few days (had heart surgery a few week ago). when things settle down i promise to get ahold of you and help you with this project ...... i live in northwestern nj (very rural) and close to lots of hiking.
Hobbes, our prayers for your mother and your family. No rush...

cushetunk said:
Also... UNO???????
Believe it or not, they claim to have a brewery there! Any confirmation? FWIW, the nearest Uno's serves a pretty good variety of commercial beers.

Tom, there is a High Point Brewery in Butler, NJ, right next door to me, they make the Ramstein ale or whatever (don't ask me, I don't drink):

http://www.ramsteinbeer.com/

However, AFAIK, they don't serve there at their brewery so I think Dawn told me that wont make the VnB list. Butler would be in northern NJ, morris county anyway.

Hobbes, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, let me know if I can help out and I will be thinking of you, Carla and your family.

Jay