looking for store with large boot selection near nyc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Where can i go to try on different mountaineering boots? Ems in long island only carries 3 types and they don't fit well. Any big places in nyc? How about campmor? Do they have large selections? I was told to check out some type of fair new New Paltz where many companies advertise... thx 4 help.. David

Campmor has a small section of plastic mountaineering boots on display... Might want to give them a call before you make the trip. There is an EMS next door too but I'm not sure what they carry.

Jay

Shop both

I've typically gone to Campmor and then to EMS and then picked the best of the two. I've ocasionally told the Campmor guy after being fitted with several boots (somewhat apologetically) that I was going over to EMS to check what they have and he said "don't worry about it. Everyone does it." Last time I bought a pair of Lowas from EMS that Campmor didn't have.

Pb

Best selection in NYC is at Tents & Trails and it's year round. They don't have everything but you'll see the Koflachs, some scarpas and the Vasque plastic non double boots. Their staff tends to be good. They stock sorels as well.

Last season paragon had a single model of plastic boot I don't know if they'll have them yet, their staff tends to be pretty poor.

Today at EMS they told they will be stocking plastics but didn't have any in yet. This will be new for the NYC EMS.

So I'd say Tents & Trails, but if you do make it out to Campmor, check Ramseys Outdoor just down the road they may have a better selection.

And don't dismiss the Columbia and Vasque insulated hiking boots rated in the low negatives. There were a fair amount of them at last years winter Gathering and no one was complaining.

Tents and Trails is definitely the place to go in NYC. It's at 21 Park Place near City Hall/Financial District. The store is a bit cramped, but it has a great selection and a very knowledgeable staff.

alpinista said:
Tents and Trails is definitely the place to go in NYC. It's at 21 Park Place near City Hall/Financial District. The store is a bit cramped, but it has a great selection and a very knowledgeable staff.

Actually for those who haven't been there in a while, Heather has been working hard on uncluttering the store with success. There's still gear hanging from the rafters in places but it's much less cramped and more organized than it's ever been.

Thanks for the update, Warren! It's been a few years since I lived in that neighborhood. That's great to hear because Tents and Trails was one of my favorite shopping spots when I lived in the city. I'll have to make a pilgrammage some day soon.

thx

wow, quick response... the city is my first stop and then jersey.. how about this "winter fair" thing i heard about near new paltz?

if your in new paltz check out rock and snow on rt 299 in the middle of town
they rent gear as well.
im sure they have the winter fair info you need www.rocksnow.com
theres also shop in the ems climbing school connected to the deli where 299 meets 44/55 (the base of the cliffs)
you might have some luck
peace, charlo

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the exact boots your looking for, but Gander Mountain in Middle Town has a great assortment. Middletown is about a hour north of the city.

Middletown is probably closer to 2 hours from the city. I live in Northwest NJ and it is a half hour away from me and NYC is 2 hours from me. What size are you. I have a pair I want to get rid of. I used them once on Mt Washington and hated plastic boots, I had much better luck with a heavier/insolated leather boot. Send me an e-mail.

I'm getting so confused... if i hit lotto this weekend i can buy everything, and still be confused.. i can't even type what i'm thinking because i keep deleting my own ideas... sorry for bothering everyone, i'll have to make my own choices now,, mom said i'm a big boy now! By the way.. i want a boot that i can snowshoe in and are crampoon compatable.. told the strap on's are a pain.. to many opinions..

I got my boots at Kenco which is on rt 28 in Kingston.....several hours from NYC, but not a big deal if you are driving north anyhow to hike in the Catskills since it's on the way. I just have insulated waterproof leather boots and with wool socks they were fine all last winter for snowshoes and crampons. They had a good selection of womans boots and I am pretty sure that there were lots more mens boots.
You might want to ask some more questions regarding leather boots vs. plastic boots or search past threads. I am pretty small and pretty much always cold and my feet were warm in those boots all winter. :) My feeling (and I'm not an expert) is that the plastic boots might be overkill in most situations, plus the leather boots can be worn all year.