Loon Lake Mountain - 7/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Special equipment: Boots/clothing recommended

A really fine day to hike to the fire tower on Loon Lake Mountain. Even though it has now been "open" to the public for about two years, there still really isn't any sort of official trail designation and the tower is still in disrepair. Hike started about 4/10 of a mile beyond the DEC pull-off for Grass Pond and the only indication you are in the right place is a red/white DEC sign that advises "Do not block gate." Route starts along an old logging road and after about 20 minutes of hiking with 300' elevation gain, there is a cairn with a survey stick to show where to turn left off the logging road. This is obviously an old trail from this point ... a bit overgrown at first and then quite eroded as things steepen. Orange survey tape periodically let you know you were going the right way. Flagging was fairly infrequent at first but quite obnoxious towards the end of the route. Fine outlook from the summit although I stayed off the rickety old tower. Bottom set of stairs had been knocked off and the rest of it looked questionable at best.

About 3 miles from gate to summit with around 1600' elevation gain. Better hike than I was anticipating.

My bad new avatar is from today. Wife and daughter say I look really mean. :mad: :D

Last edited: