Lost dog - Sunday 12/13 - Twin Mt(Catskills)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is in the area, here is a report of a lost dog on hiking trip to Twin Mt in the Catskills. Lots of deep snow in the Catskills.

Urgent - Hiker's lost dog - Black Lab
Hi everyone,
I'm sorry to clutter your mailbox but I'm desperate. I was hiking near Sugarloaf on Saturday evening at 7:00pm when I lost my dog Rebel. I spent several hours looking for him but I had to give up as I was miserably
cold. I spent Sunday driving around to various trailheads but no luck.

I'm reaching out to you all for any help/suggestions you may have in finding Rebel. He is a black lab and a great hiker. I have been hiking with him for the last 5 years. I think the snow was just too deep for him this Saturday...

Thanks,
Sudha

Reward

Last seen Dec 12th 7pm Twin Mountain
4yr year old 60 pound freindly black lab
Green collar with Marlborough NJ Dog License Tag
732-586-5649
732-881-1083
[email protected]

This is terrible. I met Sudha and Rebel at the Gunks - he is a big friendly dog who snores in his sleep. I do hope someone finds him safe.

One of the worst feelings in the world, as I know from experience. Our Genie came back to the trailhead about 10 hours after she disappeared. I assume that territory's been covered. We were advised to leave her blanket there and she stayed on it when she returned.
Praying for a good outcome.

--Audrey

Just woke up to the good news this morning. Thanks for posting Dick.

For others that might lose a dog, Audrey's advice is spot on. We once had a cardiac situation in the winter woods. Had to get a member of our party out in an emergency. One of the dogs had wandered off and the owner left his shirt on the snow.
The pooch was curled up on the shirt the following morning after he'd left the hospital to go back and look.

For the benefit of those dog owners who might not have seen the original advice referred to above, here it is:

Try to stay put if you can. The dog can cover ground a lot faster than you, and you're unlikely to follow it successfully very far in the NE woods. The dog may tire of chasing that deer and eventually try to find its way back to you by air scenting you. If you're moving, it gets much harder for the dog to locate you (been there, done that.) Stay put as long as you can. If you're in a low spot, consider moving to nearby higher ground where the air currents will carry your scent farther.

If you have to leave, hang some clothing that you've worn on a high branch at the place you lost the dog and check back as often as possible. Do the same at the trailhead if you have to drive away. It might persuade the dog to hang around once it finds the clothing, and someone might notice it. Put up photo flyers at the trailhead and at the place you lost the dog. Don't assume anyone will recognize your dog from a written description; use pictures. Be sure to include your dog's call name on the flyer.

Glad this had a happy ending, I simply can not imagine losing Geneva...

I had a Siberian Husky for 14 wonderful years. She was a Houdini in spirit, and would take off on me on occasion.

Leaving an article of your clothing works even better than leaving them their own bed. She would always be found curled up in my coat, rather than on her bed when these things occasionally occured.