Lydia finishes the 4K list - 4 years old editted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an old news story, published in 2022. She has gone on to do her Winter 48, finishing this past season.

She also just finished her Spring 48 this week. There's a post on her account, which says she's now seven years old:
https://www.instagram.com/little_foot_hiking_adventures/

She's out there hiking all the time it seems, participating in the recent Alzheimer's fundraiser, and helping with trail maintenance.

Last edited:
This is exactly the problem, all these darn kids tramping all over the 4Ks!
Need to install one of those ruler signs at all the trailheads like you see at carnivals: "You must be this tall to hike this trail". :p

Unpopular opinion, but I'm never in fan of any "youngest" or "oldest" records. The eventually of all of them is they will end up in a tragedy. I started hiking young, doing my first peaks only a little older than her when she completed. It's an incredible accomplishment for her, not trying to take anything away from it. I couldn't imagine doing some of them that I did later on when I was so young.

However, at what point does someone try as a 3-year old? 2? As soon as they are walking? Are they really walking? Same with aging out....Being the oldest to do something just means the bar is set for someone else to try, and at some point they will fail. And, the "well they died doing what they loved" can be a selfish take.

Just me...

Unpopular opinion, but I'm never in fan of any "youngest" or "oldest" records. The eventually of all of them is they will end up in a tragedy. I started hiking young, doing my first peaks only a little older than her when she completed. It's an incredible accomplishment for her, not trying to take anything away from it. I couldn't imagine doing some of them that I did later on when I was so young.

However, at what point does someone try as a 3-year old? 2? As soon as they are walking? Are they really walking? Same with aging out....Being the oldest to do something just means the bar is set for someone else to try, and at some point they will fail. And, the "well they died doing what they loved" can be a selfish take.

Just me...
I agree. I also question how much of the goal is the parents' versus the child's. Getting kids outside is essential, but is turning them into peakbaggers before kindergarten a healthy way to do so?

I agree. I also question how much of the goal is the parents' versus the child's. Getting kids outside is essential, but is turning them into peakbaggers before kindergarten a healthy way to do so
I think you nailed it when you ask if it is the goal of the child or the parent. I think it is definitely the parent's goal, using the opportunity to brag on social media in the age of "look at me". Let's face it. The kid is probably getting carried a lot, doesn't carry gear, etc. So exactly what kind of accomplishment is it really? I think it's kind of ridiculous actually, maybe even irresponsible.

I'm sure there has been no study of any kind done but I wonder how many of these kids who are dragged all over creation stay with hiking or burn out. All the driving, the walking, bugs, rain, hot sun, sweating, etc, etc. I could see most kids getting sick of this pretty fast with the kind of volume they are exposed to.

I think you nailed it when you ask if it is the goal of the child or the parent. I think it is definitely the parent's goal, using the opportunity to brag on social media in the age of "look at me". Let's face it. The kid is probably getting carried a lot, doesn't carry gear, etc. So exactly what kind of accomplishment is it really? I think it's kind of ridiculous actually, maybe even irresponsible.

I'm sure there has been no study of any kind done but I wonder how many of these kids who are dragged all over creation stay with hiking or burn out. All the driving, the walking, bugs, rain, hot sun, sweating, etc, etc. I could see most kids getting sick of this pretty fast with the kind of volume they are exposed to.
I'm the parent of a competitive athlete in college currently and I've seen that type of attitude often over the years. Kids who were pushed really young more often than not faded out earlier. At some point kids need to do what they want to do and no amount of pushing can make that happen. The difference is there is a possibility of a carrot at the end of the journey through financial relief in college, so too many chased that through any means possible. They forgot the #1 rule: have fun.

Not a fan of real little legs making it up ALL 48 and there’s no way a small child is doing it because they want to complete the list. Little kids don’t make those decisions. I typically don’t share my views on this - don’t want the pushback.

.... The difference is there is a possibility of a carrot at the end of the journey through financial relief in college, so too many chased that through any means possible. They forgot the #1 rule: have fun.
Sadly many kid athletes will not get a bite of that carrot because they are merely good, not great.