Madison and Adams via Osgood, Star Lake, Gulfside, Buttress, and Great Gulf trails - July 4-6 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ear Drum

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Having hiked in the Whites for just over ten years, I finally got a chance to visit the Great Gulf Wilderness, long a bucket list item for me. As well, I got to sleep in my tent for two nights, always a pleasure. And I summited two peaks I've been up before, but by different routes. On the way up I almost got stuck behind the 4th of July parade in Gorham, and but made it through before the road was closed. All the emergency trucks were lined up, with small crowds along the road.

The hike up to Osgood Tentsite wasn't too bad, but the bugs and humidity really made me long for winter. I had the first platform to myself, and set up my stuff including some luxury items: a one-pound chair, a can of wine that I chilled in the stream, and a good book. Unfortunately there is cell service there; I prefer to feel cut off when camping, and not have all the distractions. (I do carry a Garmin for emergencies).

Up early, I ascended Osgood Tr, meeting a half-dozen AT thru-hikers coming down. They'd camped just below treeline, and I wished them well. I hope to hike Katahdin in August, and this hike was a warm-up for that. I'm closing in on my 2nd round of the 48, summiting Madison for my second time (with Hale and Zealand to go). This was a hard climb, with great views of the Wildcats-Carters-Moriah, and of Washington and Northern Presis. Also very good views off to the northeast into Maine. Met many folks up top, one gent just below the summit said to me, "Where else would you rather be?" when I said it was a hard climb. The last time I was on Madison was in 2015 with B the Hiker, back when I didn't keep a list of what I'd hiked.

The Hut cruu had some delicious sweet bread with blueberries for the 4th, and tomato soup. Made use of the facilities and their guides/maps, as well as picking the brain of the person at the desk about descending into the Great Gulf. She knew every trail and offered some helpful beta. I set out for Adams via Star Lake Trail - another tough climb. There was a swarm of some wasp-like bug at the top, and just at the top. Spectacular views. I knew Jefferson was off the table, as I was too tired with a long ways to go. I have yet to hike between Thunderstorm Junction and the summit of Jefferson, but it will have to wait for another time. I descended to the junction as it would be the easiest way back to the hut, and to the Gulf, though a bit longer. And it was great to have a peek into King Ravine and see the Subway from above.

After a second water fill-up I was off to Buttress Trail. Within seconds of starting on the trail by the lake, I had to step in unavoidable water and soaked my trail shoes. I took it as a bad omen of what was to come. Indeed this was a very challenging route, with very grown over brush in the krummholz / treeline section. Legs got scratched and couldn't see the trail. The rocks under often had voids between them so you really needed to step with care. There were a couple of drop-offs that I very deliberately slid down - it would be super un-cool to need to call for a rescue back here.

The last open stretch of talus field, just before the junction with the abandoned Adams Slide Trail, afforded some of the more spectacular and unique views of the day. I could see a piece of the auto road by Chandler Brook Tr, the Great Gulf headwall, and the big prominence with the Six Husbands Trail going up to Jefferson. The sound of the West Branch of the Peabody River below, the various bird calls, the smells of the trees and earth, just taking it all in.

I was happy to finally reach the Great Gulf Trail junction, and loved this section, with the water flowing by. Just after Clam Rock, ran into two women I'd met on Adams and again at the hut who were camped there. Definitely a spot I would return to on a backpack. Night set in and I had to click on my headlamp for the last hour or so. I was very unhappy to climb up again, along Osgood Cutoff, but knew my dehydrated meal in a bag of mac and cheese awaited me. 9.75 miles with 4650 feet of climbing for the day. I found an AT thru hiker on my platform, we chatted through their tent but never saw each other.

Up early the next day, and back to the car. I took a shower at Pinkham - best buck I spent on this trip. I'd forgotten soap and a towel, but had what I call a "dog towel" in the car, clean but only used to dry the dogs after swimming. Made me chuckle to use it. Filled my belly with their buffet then hit the road. Another excellent trip, can't wait to return.

great gulf from buttress.jpg
Great Gulf from the talus field on Buttress Tr

Madison and Star Lakle.jpg
Madison and Star Lake

King Ravine and Subway.jpg
King Ravine

Thunderstorm jct cairn.jpg
Thunderstorm Junction

Washington from Adams.jpg
Washington from Adams

Last edited:
Glad you had fun and had a chance to do the Butress Trail. Logistically it is not easy to dayhike and therefore doesnt get a lot of use despite it going through some great terrain with interesting views of the Great Gulf.

Great pics! That's definitely a route I'd like to try one day. Congrats on a fun trip.
Thanks! There are so many variations on the route. If I were to go again, I'd camp further along the Great Gulf Tr, and try ascending one of the routes not recommended to descend (basically all of the others, Great Gulf, Sphinx, Six Husbands, Madison Gulf trails).

To add to my story, on my drive south from Pinkham Notch, I saw a juvenile bear attempt to run across the road in front of my car. This was about halfway between the Rocky Branch trailhead and Jackson; it was probably just south of the Hutmens trailhead.

The bear started running out from the woods on my left, from the east side. I braked and tooted my horn; it turned and ran back into the woods.

This was my first bear sighting in WMNF. Sorry, no pics!

Very nice photos especially that shot of Madison and Star Lake.
I love that perspective of Madison from there. It's like a volcano looming over the landscape of some far away place.

Great Gulf is magical. The walk in from the trail head up to the split for Wamsutta/Six Husbands is just stunning. All the deep pools, the waterfalls, the moss. It gets a little sketchier to follow from there up the headwall but it is still quite stunning. Makes me want to get in the car seeing your pictures.....but I still have a job so....:(

I've done all kinds of loops in and out of there. If you're up for the effort just about any trail out of there is well worth the effort. Wamsutta is a personal favorite. Haven't done Buttress in awhile but recall really enjoying it.

It's so overgrown now, in the scrub area. I mean, I enjoyed it, but it was probably better a while ago.
I LOVE when the trails are overgrown. Pushing through scrub and or hobblebush encroaching onto the trail I find quite enjoyable. Feels like you are really out there exploring. One of my favorite parts of wilderness areas is that lack of maintenance.

One of my favorite sections of the Midstate Trail near my house (Douglas, MA):
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/5a22f0920/nv7eahpx-vv957pga-ifazh3pt-n42tkx48

I LOVE when the trails are overgrown. Pushing through scrub and or hobblebush encroaching onto the trail I find quite enjoyable. Feels like you are really out there exploring. One of my favorite parts of wilderness areas is that lack of maintenance.

One of my favorite sections of the Midstate Trail near my house (Douglas, MA):
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/5a22f0920/nv7eahpx-vv957pga-ifazh3pt-n42tkx48
for sure, it can be fun. thanks for the video. That's close to bushwhacking.

I would suspect that you may want to bring a salt shaker with you to assist with the removal of leeches that tend to reside in many north country ponds. Then again I suspect it used to freeze the bottom in winter so that might limit the population.

Anyone ever swim in Spaulding Lake? Something I'd love to do!
Once met a NOBO AT thru hiker around Pierce, chatted a bit about what was ahead. He expressed a desire to swim in the lakes at Lakes of the Clouds. He probably needed it, as it was a hot summer day. I discouraged him, saying it's a fragile environment.

But is swimming or otherwise entering the alpine lakes something that is specifically not allowed? I don't recall seeing a USFS rule about it.

Spaulding is one thing, as it's relatively quite remote with few visitors. I don't think that Star Lake, or Upper and Lower Lake of the Clouds, would be good places for a dip. Can you imagine the trash, left behind diapers, sunscreen in the water, poses for Insta-worthy photos etc.

I have never seen any rules against it. AMC had to switch from surface sources of water to ground water about 25 years ago to avoid the testing required to meet the surface water requirements so that should not be an issue with respect to the upper and lower lakes.

AMC's contractor had to fly in a modular artesian well rig with helicopter to most of the huts to drill the wells. I had some helicopter rigging going on in Gorham around that time and Joe Brigham, the AMC helicopter contractor was telling me how he really got to know the exact weight limits of his helicopter in various weather conditions. Lots of very early morning picks just after sunrise.

Last edited: