Magalloway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[This thread should be move to the "New England Backcountry/Hiking Forum"]

Yes, there's only one trailhead. It's a nice, fun, relatively easy hike, ~2 miles round trip. The Bobcat Trail is more interesting that the Coot Trail, although descending the Coot might be slightly harder on the knees. The Coot trail is the old fire warden trail, so it's straight up the fall line, more eroded, and has loose rock. We went up the Bobcat and down the Coot and I would recommend that.

Definitely go up the tower and take the path down along the cliff edge. There are a couple of breathtaking viewpoints, where you can go right to the edge if you choose. (Take care with children.)

The road up is slightly rough in a place or two, but as of last summer, a Honda Accord had no trouble making it up.

Magalloway is great but short. Some of the adventure is driving Tower Rd. to the trailhead. High clearance is your friend here but I've done it three times in a regular car with slow and careful driving. The road conditions vary each year so travel it at your own risk.

Yes, there's only one trailhead. It's a nice, fun, relatively easy hike, ~2 miles round trip. The Bobcat Trail is more interesting that the Coot Trail, although descending the Coot might be slightly harder on the knees. The Coot trail is the old fire warden trail, so it's straight up the fall line, more eroded, and has loose rock. We went up the Bobcat and down the Coot and I would recommend that.

Definitely go up the tower and take the path down along the cliff edge. There are a couple of breathtaking viewpoints, where you can go right to the edge if you choose. (Take care with children.)

The road up is slightly rough in a place or two, but as of last summer, a Honda Accord had no trouble making it up.
Much appreciated

Thank
Magalloway is great but short. Some of the adventure is driving Tower Rd. to the trailhead. High clearance is your friend here but I've done it three times in a regular car with slow and careful driving. The road conditions vary each year so travel it at your own risk.
Thank you and my regular car thanks you as well

The back road conditions in the entire Pittsburg area are probably going to be degrading. The grand bargain struck when the state "protected" the area from development and preserved long term forestry included that the state of NH took over road maintenance. It would be funded by a fee on all timber being hauled on the roads. With the recent surprise that the new owner of the land is converting it to sell carbon credits, the amount of timber to be cut in the future will plummet and therefore the amount of timber being hauled on the roads. Unless the state decides to fund the road work out of general funds, highly unlikely, I expect the roads will degrade and major repairs will just not happen.

This is still in flux as the state is challenging the new owners plans as the easement that they bought along with the land specifically requires that the land be kept as a working timberland.

The back road conditions in the entire Pittsburg area are probably going to be degrading.
Let's hope that regardless of the outcome, that the state sees the value of keeping the roads open. If not for logging, for tourism. (OTH, too much tourism could rob the Connecticut Lakes Headwaters Working Forest and the rest of the Great North Woods of its special character.)

As of last summer, most of the major haul roads east of Rt. 3 were in great shape. East Inlet Rd. & Boundary Pond Rd. were regraded two summers ago. Magalloway Rd., Smith Brook Rd., Buckhorn-Cedar Stream loop, Magalloway Mtn. Rd., Stub Hill, Waterfall Brook Rd., Pisgah Mtn. Trail, Crystal Brook Rd. were all in good shape.

Since last summer there have been washouts on East Inlet Rd. (as reported here), Pisgah Mtn. Tr., and the Scott Bog put-in spur off of Scott Brook Rd. (It's 0.1 miles from the washout to the Scott Bog put-in.) Replacing the bridge over East Inlet on East Inlet Rd. will be a major fix, but the NHF&G is working with the timberland owners to get a temporary bridge put in place. As of two summers ago there as active logging off of Pisgah Mtn. Tr. If it is still active, then I expect the washout will get fixed.

Updated gate status as of 6/11/24 for the Ct. Lakes Headwaters Working Forest.

Let's hope that regardless of the outcome, that the state sees the value of keeping the roads open. If not for logging, for tourism. (OTH, too much tourism could rob the Connecticut Lakes Headwaters Working Forest and the rest of the Great North Woods of its special character.)

As of last summer, most of the major haul roads east of Rt. 3 were in great shape. East Inlet Rd. & Boundary Pond Rd. were regraded two summers ago. Magalloway Rd., Smith Brook Rd., Buckhorn-Cedar Stream loop, Magalloway Mtn. Rd., Stub Hill, Waterfall Brook Rd., Pisgah Mtn. Trail, Crystal Brook Rd. were all in good shape.

Since last summer there have been washouts on East Inlet Rd. (as reported here), Pisgah Mtn. Tr., and the Scott Bog put-in spur off of Scott Brook Rd. (It's 0.1 miles from the washout to the Scott Bog put-in.) Replacing the bridge over East Inlet on East Inlet Rd. will be a major fix, but the NHF&G is working with the timberland owners to get a temporary bridge put in place. As of two summers ago there as active logging off of Pisgah Mtn. Tr. If it is still active, then I expect the washout will get fixed.

Updated gate status as of 6/11/24 for the Ct. Lakes Headwaters Working Forest.
Good info. Thanks!

It’s a great little hike for excellent views. We met one of the tower wardens when we hiked it years ago. All great info provided above. You can also connect all the way to Maine if you want to drive east (to Parmachenee Rd).

Reactions: TEO
I feel a great amount of guilt that people are making that massive drive for that tiny hike. How much carbon are we putting in the air for something that short.

It's a nice hike, but tiny. I wish they would take it off the list and replace it with something to the south.

I feel a great amount of guilt that people are making that massive drive for that tiny hike. How much carbon are we putting in the air for something that short.

It's a nice hike, but tiny. I wish they would take it off the list and replace it with something to the south.
I'll just "carbon offset".....

Magalloway gets climbed by others that are not listing. Yes it’s a short hike but not everyone is into big peaks. If we are going to green wash let’s shut down the Coos Trail, stop snowmobiling, discontinue fishing, close down the campgrounds and all OHRV use in the area too. Every time I have been to Magallowy I usually stay in the area for a night or two and combine it with other activities. I also meet other folks doing the same thing. Maybe if your there for just the day to climb Magalloway you should be only allowed to approach it with an EV for the peak to count. Although not sure about the charging station availability there. Guess you could always bring a portable gas operated generator and portable charger so you could make it the whole way there and back.

Last edited:

I assume you're referring to 52 With A View. It's a New Hampshire list. The North Country is part of New Hampshire. Magalloway is one of the most beautiful vistas around.

If you think the list should only be southern New Hampshire peaks, then perhaps someone should make a southern New Hampshire list? And if that happens, then what about the drive that hikers from the North Country and north of the border would be making? And why 52 peaks? Perhaps we could reduce the amount of carbon by cutting the list down to 5 peaks.

Dismissing the hike as "tiny" is subjective. If one includes the spring and the spectacular view spur, it's not dissimilar to Mt. Major. People drive hours to hike Mt. Major all the time. And who says the only reason to travel to Magalloway is to do the hike? There's so much else to experience up there beyond hiking. Thankfully we can still freely travel to beautiful places whenever we want without having the carbon police after us.

"Massive" drive and "tiny" hike are so subjective. Massive drive in from the state Hwy? The combination of those two adjectives immediately suggests using a bike for that part of the approach. I just mapped it on Plot-a-Route. From a turnout off of Rte. 3 right near its intersection with the Magalloway Rd. it's 8.4 mi. with 1,306 ft. of elevation gain to the marked parking area at the trailhead, with 11% max. grade in multiple places. You could turn a "tiny," insignificant hike into a legitimately decent challenging workout that way if the hike alone was seemingly too easy to justify a long travel from home.

Your instincts for saving the planet are admirable but please don't assume any guilt on my behalf. It's presumptuous and unnecessary. I hope to make that trek this summer and do a couple of waterfalls in addition to the Big M. I've never been that far north in NH so just seeing the Connecticut Lakes will be cool too.

I assume you're referring to 52 With A View. It's a New Hampshire list. The North Country is part of New Hampshire. Magalloway is one of the most beautiful vistas around.

If you think the list should only be southern New Hampshire peaks, then perhaps someone should make a southern New Hampshire list? And if that happens, then what about the drive that hikers from the North Country and north of the border would be making? And why 52 peaks? Perhaps we could reduce the amount of carbon by cutting the list down to 5 peaks.

Dismissing the hike as "tiny" is subjective. If one includes the spring and the spectacular view spur, it's not dissimilar to Mt. Major. People drive hours to hike Mt. Major all the time. And who says the only reason to travel to Magalloway is to do the hike? There's so much else to experience up there beyond hiking. Thankfully we can still freely travel to beautiful places whenever we want without having the carbon police after us.

The post you quoted displays a lot of the elitist attitude that seems to be becoming more vocal, if not more common. You’ll often hear it mentioned in conjunction with packed trailhead lots leading to people parking on the roadside (like at Falling Waters/Old Bridle Path, which I’m guilty of), with the suggestion to hike somewhere else or mid-week usually being made. So you go to another trail and that one is full, too. Then what? Drive from trail to trail until you either find a spot or it’s too late to start? What about all the carbon you’re emitting with the extra driving? And for most people who work full-time hiking mid-week isn’t an option without them (and their partners) taking a vacation day or using personal time/PTO, and possibly pulling kids out of school. I’ve even heard suggestions to limit traffic on heavily-traveled trails to minimize the impact on wildlife. Of course, the people making those suggestions don’t mean THEIR use should be limited.

At first, I thought this was a joke. I have 50k on my 2023 Crosstrek and will climb Maggaloway for the third time, later this summer. I love the drive up and I enjoy the hike and town of Pittsburgh as well. I think some climate activist over estimate the potential they have to "save" the planet. Hike on.

At first, I thought this was a joke. I have 50k on my 2023 Crosstrek and will climb Maggaloway for the third time, later this summer. I love the drive up and I enjoy the hike and town of Pittsburgh as well. I think some climate activist over estimate the potential they have to "save" the planet. Hike on.
I'm new here so if I am not posting on the correct category feel free to let me know.
I almost didn't do Magalloway because there was so much negativity about the hike. I'm finishing my 52 WAV and obviously need this one.
The dreaded Tower Rd. was not what the reviews said it was. I had no issues in my Outback. There were no massive holes I had to navigate around. It was a 20 mph ride to a trailhead. Even on New England Trail Report the comments regarding this road to get to got me not wanting to do it at all. I hope the 2 other cars that were there today will post positively.
TRAIL REPORT
I took Coot up and Bobcat down. Either way is fine. Look, this trail is all about the summit. It's a good quad burn once you pass the cabin at the start on Coot. To experience the summit, drop the pack and head up the tower. Make sure you get to the Overlook to see the cliff. I was glad to make the drive for this 52 WAV. It was worth it!

If anyone wants Magalloway to be a longer hike, do it in winter when the roads are closed. 😉

In all seriousness, yes, the hike itself is short. But there are plenty of other places to explore in the area and other hikes to do like Fourth Connecticut Lake, Deer Mtn., and destinations along the Cohos Trail. No one has to drive up there for Magalloway only (unless you want to).

Status
Not open for further replies.