Marcy from the Loj

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping to do it next Saturday. What is the parking situation at the Loj on a busy summer weekend? How soon do I need to get there to guarantee a space?

Seems a pretty straightforward hike, 7+ miles each way with under 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Am I missing anything?

You should be fine if you arrive before 8:30 AM. You're about right on the distance, just a tad under 15 miles RT.

It's a cakewalk, its basically a horse trail, apart from the last (very short) summit push up the cone above treeline. Indian Falls (about halfway), is a beautiful spot. One of my favs (well, aside from all the people :().

Enjoy, it a fun hike.

I have details -HERE-

Last edited:
You can also park at South Meadow and take the access road into Marcy Dam. Marginally longer, but an easy walk and less crowded.

Mohammed, there is a parking area right near the start of the truck trail from South Meadow to Marcy Dam. Can't miss it if you just drive to the end of South Meadow Road.

G.

There are pull-offs all over near the gate (and sign). Also no $ for parking, especially if you're not an ADK member ... $3 vs. $9.

Easy walk in and out via the road. Great views of Colden and Avalanche from Marcy Dam, and take the 1 minute detour for the great views of the MacIntyres from Indian Falls (right at the sign). Once you break above treeline there are great views in all directions.

I know this is just a highpointing trip for you, but hopefully some of the great peaks you see like Colden, Haystack, Gothics, or the MacIntyres will tempt you back for more ... for as you love the Bonds, these other gems are what the Adirondacks are really all about.

Thanks to Oldsmores for the suggestion, and to Grumpy and Doc for the directions. Not only will this save me a few bucks, it will allow some originality in an otherwise very unimaginative trip.

I really and truly hope not to get re-infected with the peakbagging bug. In New England I just hope to finish the NH Fours in winter (amost done, just need to finish off) after which I have no more goal-oriented hiking plans. The various highpoints (state and county) are so low a priority for me that they cannot be called "goals", same for redlining. So now I hike for the pleasure of hiking!

With Franconia Ridge twenty minutes from home, the southern Presidentials 45 minutes away, and the northern Presidentials roughly an hour away, why drive five hours to bushwhack to a viewless peak? Knowing myself I very much fear that once I have bagged the dozen or so really worthwhile Adirondack peaks the bug will return, and I will drive long distances (which I HATE) just to satisfy an obsession.

I must say that, from an evening's reading, Algonquin, the Great Range and Colden certainly look interesting!

I can certainly relate to the proximity and driving factors. And though I've been bitten by the NH4s, the above factors (and gas prices!) have kept me closer to home this summer. Which prompted the every season 46er list (I'll do my "summer" 45 and 46 this weekend) the solo 46er list (now in the mid 30's) and of course the winter list (now at 39). Then there's the new route list, the slide list, the different approaches list, and the I just need to check it out again list.

Marcy is great because you are in the middle of everything and can see so many peaks, passes, and valleys. It may be the tourist peak, but it's still a great hike. Hope the weather works out for you.

As for the Bonds and the Pemi, I can't wait for my trip the week after labor Day. I'll be posting a questions list (whatever hasn't been answered by yours and David's site) soon, so feel free to chime in with ideas...

Mohamed Ellozy said:
...Knowing myself I very much fear that once I have bagged the dozen or so really worthwhile Adirondack peaks the bug will return, and I will drive long distances (which I HATE) just to satisfy an obsession.

I must say that, from an evening's reading, Algonquin, the Great Range and Colden certainly look interesting!

Mohamed, I fear for you. The views from Marcy are awe inspiring. You'd best add Skylight and Haystack to that short list. And I hear the Dixes are pretty sweet also! Giant and Rocky Peak get a lot of votes from those that have hiked them. There are LOTS of great views, and the best thing is that you won't recognize any of them!

You're in trouble. It only took me one trip to know I'd be spending a lot of time out there. And only 2 trips to get a speeding ticket (watch that speedometer!):)

Nice report. Snowy is a great peak worth coming back for. Gore is a nice trail but with so many ski/bike trails and summit buildings the best part of the hike is below the summit. Also, was it Black Mountain in Washington County? You wrote Gore but my guess is that it was Black.