marmot winter daypack or gregory z pack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Trying to ask this the right way, don't know if i can... trying now to save $...want a lightweight backpack to handle around 25-30lbs during spring- fall AND use it in the winter for daytrips. Is the fabric to thin to use in winter with gear? Do most people have a few different packs? I bought the marmot tonight and i like it but after reading some magazine reviews makes me think it all over again which i hate... thx.. ps i gave up eating cookies to get into shape,, very hard to do.

I don't like the light nylon (silnylon, I think) packs. I just think that someday I'll tear it to tiny pieces, especially navigating iced into U shaped tunnels of spruce in the winter.

The marmot eiger pack looks good in this area as do the Granite gear packs.

I use a Dana Sphinx and Osprey Aether rucksack as a winter day pack/ 3 season UL pack.

I have the Z pack. I also had the G-Pack and I returned it, mostly due to what Warren said. I think that after 10 hikes, the sewn attachment points would fail from stress. The Z pack, however, is a redesigned version of the G pack. The material seems much tougher. I have yet to trail test my Z pack, but it looks like it will hold up much better than the G. Good luck.

Also, if you are looking for light, tough and cheap but reliable, you might consider a kelty or Lowe alpine. Gregory makes awesome packs but they aren't cheap. Check out EMS this weekend - 20% off everything.

Jason

Last edited:
Thx.. I went to ems and bought the marmot eiger but now i'm second guessing myself... i think i rushed because of the discount. ps.. that's a tough picture of yours to look at..

Sorry about the pic :( A-FRAUD really let you guys down! I saw that the eiger was cheap, and remember that you can return it if you aren't satisfied. You won't get the 20% off though on a new pack...

why not? I'm spending more money.. Sometimes i jump to soon to buy.. i never seem to learn.

Coldfeet,

You can return your pack to EMS and get a refund, credit, etc. If you decide to get the Z-Pack instead, you will still get 20% off if you purchase by this Sunday (10/24).

I think that the Z-Pack is a fantastic pack and will work quite well as both a winter day pack and a warmer weather overnight pack. The fabric on the Z-Pack is much, much hardier than the G-Pack. There is no comparison. I really like the layout of the Z-Pack as well. The top lid can come off the Z-pack to save you another 6-8 ounces or so if you are concerned about weight. You will have to rig some comression straps though to carry your snowshoes on the G-Pack, but you would have to do that with the Eiger as well.

If you want to kill two birds with one stone, and have the money, I would return the Eiger and get the Z-Pack. Not that the Eiger is a bad pack, but rather that the Z-Pack is lighter, can carry more for overnights, and has a better pocket configuration.

John

I have the Marmot Eiger pack and love it. It has gotten me through evrything from snow and rain storms to bushwhacking in the Catskills. It is very comfortable especially over rough ground. It is very clean, no straps dangling all over. My snowshoes fit perfect on the side straps of the Eiger. Johnycakes The Eiger I have has side straps that can hold my snowshoes with no problems

Thx for help, snowshoe, I'm going back to ems tonight with my shoes and asking them to help me figure out the straps on the side that i'm not to sure about, they don't tighten but somehow adjust.. if $ is a problem do u like the idea of the z pack also for winter day trips and lighter summer backpack.. thx.. gotta go to soccer the girls are going to be cold.. lw 50's and windy in long island.

Silly me, i didn't pull the straps hard enough for them to slide, not thinking to well last 2 days..this "newbi" needs to think first before asking!

I have a Dakine Guide winter pack that has ski holders and a snowboard holder (that I use for snowshoes). I'm not sure you need those since you didn't mention it, but it's a nice pack, it's got so many little gadgets to hold things and stuff, it comes with a little manual of how to use different things.

My only gripe is the ski holder is a diagonal one and I kind of prefer doing the teepee with skis, (bind the tips and run the skis on the side). I wind up hitting my skis alot in thick forests when carrying them. But it's a nice winter daypack even if you don't need to carry snowshoes or skis.

Jay

i changed my mind

Returned the winter marmot and bought the Gregory z pack...now i have a lighter pack and i can use it for winter day trips.. maybe some day i can get a real winter day pack.. how many packs do u have?

Funny, I have the z pack and was considering getting the Marmot :rolleyes: Perhaps you should get both! The Marmot interested me because it seemed bulletproof. However, their suspension and waist belt seem cheesy. Be careful with snowshoes because the teeth will rip the Z pack to shreds! Good luck

I bought a Grgory Advent Pro this weekend at EMS. Mostly because I wanted something with a thinner profile for tighter spots, and a day pack that stays tight to my back, instead of ending up around my lower back, like my Jansport does. It too is made of the lighter nylon fabric. Do you guys think that is not a good material for tight places

By the way Jason, that avatar is sweet. And hey, it's right out of the Daily News. Did anyone notice that Thursday's New York Post had a back page article that was ripping Schilling for calling 'Nim'-Rod's play, "junior high"? The last two at-bats that A-Rod had in game 7, he got booed by the Yankee 'faithful'. The paper tries to protect him, and the "fans' rip him a new rectum. Nice!

SOX

Well I have three packs and they never seem to be enough
I always think I need one more What I ahve are the following:
Dana Designs Terraplane LTW for the big hauls and extended winter weekend
Mountainsmith Ghost for summer over nighters day hikes when I carry all the kids stuff and for day winter hikes.
Columbia day pack small and well organized

I have been thinking of a Black Diamond Shadow 55L for more extensive winter days and possibly winter overnights.
Does anyone have one?
Al

I have a few packs to my collection as well. I have my mormot eiger that I use for long day hikes in summer and winter. I have a Kelty Creel Lumbar pack that I use for summer hiking or short hikes. Then for backpacking I have a kelty slickrock. Last winter I bought the LL Bean Mt Madison Day Pack. I am going to use this for long winter hikes and summer overnight trips. The pack has some great features and seems to be a strong pack. Will see how it works this winter. I am not one for buying expensive packs mainly because I can not afford to. So far all my packs have held up very well and have not had any problems.

I have 3 (or 4 depending how you look at it):

Osprey Aether 90 (winter overnights/weeklong trips)
Arcteryx Bora 60 LT (general do it all pack, long trips, short winters, winter day hikes)
Dana Designs Sphinx (UL backpacking, dayhiking 4 season)
Osprey Aether (UL backpacking, summit pack, day hiking)

I got all of them on sale or marked down. The bora sees the most use, the Osprey sees the least. All of them are great packs with one major problem identical to each- lack of water bottle pockets on the sides.

I also bought a Gregory Advent Pro a couple months ago at EMS. One of my primary uses for this pack will be for winter day hikes so I asked about how this super light weight (thin) material will stand up in cold weather, they really couldn't give me a straight answer. It seems as thought the material will get stiff and brittle in cold temps. I figured I'd give it a try since I really liked the design of the pack and all the optional pockets and lashing options and that EMS has an unconditional return policy. If it falls apart this winter, it's going back and I’ll problem trade it for the Marmot Eiger which was my second option. I thought the eiger was very comfortable but just little to big for day hikes in warmer weather. I suppose I could have bought both, but I would have had some explaining to do to the wife, she just doesn't understand about having just the right pack for any occasion.

hardyb said:
I thought the eiger was very comfortable but just little to big for day hikes in warmer weather. I suppose I could have bought both, but I would have had some explaining to do to the wife, she just doesn't understand about having just the right pack for any occasion.

You can get the Eiger and then get a Lumbar pack for summer hikes. I bought a Kelty Creel on sale for 39 bucks. It is a great pack As for the wife wait until she buys something. Then go get what you wanted. She can not argue then. It works for me. :)