ME Mountain Works- Portland, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Yesterday I recieced a letter in the mail and it looks like Maine Mountain Works will be closing with in the next month or so. I have shopped there in the past and they have a pretty good selection of outdoor gear and now with everything on sale it might be a good idea to check it out.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case your in the mood for shopping! :D

-MEB

Maine Mt Works is only closing the store by 295--the store on Commercial St will remain open & sell mostly clothes & very little gear. Last Sat everything in the store was 20% off. They will be selling out the store till about the end of Sept w/steeper discounts as time goes by. They will still be able to order gear for people @ the other location.

Bummer...That is my favorite store. I wonder if EMS moving right next to Wild Oats down the road hurt. I try to support local stores. At least the Commercial Street one will be open.

Reactions: yam
Bummer x 2... I liked that store. :( The Commercial Street location doesn't have a lot of gear. I guess I'll have to stop and check out the deals though.

MEB said:
Maine Mountain Works will be closing

Sniff, sniff. :( A great store with great, knowledgeable people. The owners were in the store, as the saying goes, and they use their gear. My first Katahdin winter trip was in MMW rental boots and crampons pulling a MMW rental sled.

Yes, EMS's move from the mall to just down the street (in the Wild Oats building) did have a negative effect on MMW. It's awful hard for small, local stores to compete with big chains (and yes, EMS is one--not bad people, just a big chain). The same thing is happening to the locally owned natural foods store--Wild Oats moved in next door with bigger and cheaper.

Portland really is a small town and has a hard time supporting a lot of commerce.

you'd think the commercial street one would close (vs the 295 one)....i've never seen anyone in there when i'm shopping, they really don't have any selection at that location.

bummer. i found the staff helpful at the 295 MMW also.