Mendon or Breadloaf and Wilson - 11/28 or 11/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Either Sunday, 11/28, or possibly Monday, 11/29, I'd like to do either Mendon, or Breadloaf and Wilson.

The NEHH 'guide sheet' lists Breadloaf and Wilson together. It looks like you can start at Skylight Pond Trail (above Middlebury) and do both in about an 8-9 mile round trip. Can anyone confirm this?

As far as Mendon goes, I'd prefer to go with someone who has been there before, although there does seem to be quite a bit of information available on this hike.

If interested, post here, or PM me.

The Emily Proctor Trail could be a better approach for B&W. This trail ends at the Long Trail between the two peaks. On the Skylight Pond Trail you will have to go back over Breadloaf on your way out. Check the Green Mountain Club Long Trail Guide.

Emily Proctor is the way to go. It will take you a few minutes to find the true Wilson Summit. You could also make a nice loop continuing to Cooley Glen heading north, going over Mts Roosevelt and Cleveland on the way. Breadloaf Wilderness is a beautiful area. Coming from South Lincoln via FR 54 and 201 is usually a much easier drive.

Pig Pen said:
The Emily Proctor Trail could be a better approach for B&W. This trail ends at the Long Trail between the two peaks. On the Skylight Pond Trail you will have to go back over Breadloaf on your way out. Check the Green Mountain Club Long Trail Guide.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

SherpaKroto said:
Emily Proctor is the way to go. It will take you a few minutes to find the true Wilson Summit. You could also make a nice loop continuing to Cooley Glen heading north, going over Mts Roosevelt and Cleveland on the way. Breadloaf Wilderness is a beautiful area. Coming from South Lincoln via FR 54 and 201 is usually a much easier drive.

Thanks SherpaK!

From Mapquest, etc. I concur that South Lincoln is the best place to start.

Now, I just need 1 or 2 hiking partners. If I get there by 8:00 AM, I figure I'll have plenty of time to do the hike before sundown.

Wow, it looks like we'll have to start a pool on when you hit the 1,000th post! Is there another level for that? Platinum member ? Titanium member ?

:D

Tom,
I loved Mendon. Favorite peak this fall. If you follow the directions on Papa Bear's site you should have little trouble. A little map and compass might be useful for the area around the summit. Make sure you check out the views from the open rocks a short distance from the cannister.