Merrell Moab XCR cross-training shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobC

Reaction score
I was in REI today just looking to buy some shorts. Somehow I ended up looking at trail running/cross-training shoes, and made somewhat of an impulse buy. I bought some Merrell Moab XCR cross-training shoes. They felt good in the store and the tread pattern looked good, plus they are supposedly water-proof (though I don't expect that to mean much for this style of shoe). But now that I'm in front of the computer I am seeing all kinds of negative reviews on these, mostly talking about the poor durability. Perhaps buying shoes on impulse was not the smartest thing, but I haven't worn them yet so I could still return them.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

I just bought my second pair for everyday use. First is 3 years old still being used for grass cutting and yard duty but they're just too grungy to wear in public. The only things I ever wear are my Moabs or Tevas year round and and have had absolutely no issue with durability (for both).

I don't trail run but have used them for light hiking, pushing a lawn mower, shoveling and weelbarrowing a few tons of gravel and climbing a few trees. No problems with wear or traction at all but, as you say... don't expect waterproof (and you can get them at a lower price if you opt for the non-goretex model).

Last edited:
I got a pair this spring and have liked them so much I stopped hiking in my over-the-ankle leather Scarpas. I've done Bear Mountain and Breakneck Ridge loops in them--both wet, overgrown trails--and they were fine. I did Carter Dome up the Wildcat River Trail and down the Rainbow Trail (aka Moose Latrine Trail), and even with all the brook crossings I was very happy with them. Then the Pinnacle Ridge and Haystack in the ADKs and they were excellent, grippy on rock and light the rest of the time. Granted, a little less than 100 miles, but very wet, muddy, and rocky miles.

I am not using them for running and probably never will unless chased by bear etc. I am using them for stable, relatively low-cost, low-cut, lightweight hiking shoes. They are actually not very stable in civilized situations--wet sidewalks, for example. But on the trail I have been very pleased with them.

I did replace the insoles. And I would not use them as river shoes. I don't expect any shoes to keep my feet dry, but these did a pretty good job. And there was no break-in required.

Turns out I had another pair I bought about five years ago at Lahouts when I accidentally brought two left boots on a hiking trip. They've lasted pretty well although I only use them at the gym.

I should have mentioned that I only intend to use these for hiking - I'm no runner, that's for sure. Even though I love my LL Bean Cresta Hikers, I've found them to be too hot for the summer, and my feet swell a lot in them on long, hot days. So I was just looking for something a little lighter and more breathable for the rest of the summer. I'll probably switch back to the Cresta Hikers sometime in October, and will just use them for spring/fall hiking, and for backpacking trips.

Thanks for the responses.

I was in REI today just looking to buy some shorts. Somehow I ended up looking at trail running/cross-training shoes, and made somewhat of an impulse buy. I bought some Merrell Moab XCR cross-training shoes. They felt good in the store and the tread pattern looked good, plus they are supposedly water-proof (though I don't expect that to mean much for this style of shoe). But now that I'm in front of the computer I am seeing all kinds of negative reviews on these, mostly talking about the poor durability. Perhaps buying shoes on impulse was not the smartest thing, but I haven't worn them yet so I could still return them.

Has anyone had any experience with these?
I find that trail runners that are advertised as "waterproof" is somewhat of an oxymoron. The nice thing about a good pair of ventilated trail runners is that when you soak them, they drain out quick... and in a few minutes your feet feel comfortable. Also, they have a vibram sole it looks like which may make them heavy. I used to have a lot of Merrell shoes because they fit me well but I wasn't impressed at all when I tried one of their trail runners. Dunno about that particular pair too much though....

-Dr. Wu

I find that trail runners that are advertised as "waterproof" is somewhat of an oxymoron.

-Dr. Wu

So true, I have a pair of Goretex Vasque trail runners that I both trail run and hike in, fairly waterproof but utterly not breathable -- hot, sweaty and smelly! Also a clearance impulse buy at REI -- but they are otherwise amazing -- sometimes you just get lucky.

I have two pairs of Merrell's, neither are the Moab style -- I am very happy with one pair (winter pair, 400 g thinsulate) but the summer low cut pair are stiff and uncomfortable (overly stiff sole and toe jamming front bumper) feet killers even on short easy hikes, I use them for yard work.

Last edited:
Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should have just went with the first pair of Merrells I was eyeing, that weren't waterproof at all...since the waterproofing of the ones I did get probably won't work that well. The whole point in getting these is to get something more breathable so my feet won't be so hot.

Oh well, looks like a reason to take another trip back to REI! :D