Metacomet-Monadnock Sections 19-21 6/11/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
must be something about long trails that begin with "M"...

A few VFTT'ers have been talking about section hiking the Metacomet-Monadnock trail.
General overview: http://www.amcberkshire.org/mmtrail/
broken into sections: http://www.amcberkshire.org/mmtrail/guide

We're looking at hiking sections 19-21 southbound on 06/11/2005. It's 17 miles according to the website. The southern bit of 19 has a very pretty section that parallels a couple of beaver ponds and a stream with some interesting rock formations. If someone would like to commit for part of the hike, we could spot a car along the way.

Dogs are welcome.

I wanted to get this thread back up to the top where folks can see it!!! I am looking forward to this hike next weekend. Some of us may do another couple of sections the following weekend (6-18). We have six hikers at this time--4 humans and 2 dogs....
....Jade

Hi,

I'm shocked that there is so little interest in the fine Metacomet-Monadnock Trail. This section has two peaks over 1700 feet with nice views back to Monadnock, if I'm not mistaken. Plus you'll hike right through downtown Troy, NH.

Maybe people are just not in good enough shape to go the 17.5 miles? Or maybe they're just scared, that's it.

Now, further on south on the Metacomet-Monadnock, you'll run into a couple of killer river crossings, first the Connecticut and then the Westfield, right? While the Westfield can sometimes be forded safely, the Connecticut will definitely require a canoe shuttle of some kind. That might be fun to put together - I installed a middle seat in our tandem not too long ago.

Well, maybe I should join your Metacomet-Monadnock hike for Saturday, just to help get the ball rolling. OK, I'm in.

Last edited:
Dugan,

I did sections 19-22 (southbound) as two day hikes back in April. I believe I posted under "trail conditions" There is a long road walk, about 3 miles, through Troy. Also section 19 has a lot of dirt roads to walk on.

There is no parking along rt. 124 were the trail comes out. It is about a 1/4 mile up hill walk to the Old Toll Rd trailhead. down hill if you start here.

The trail between 124 and Gap Mt is very interesting. Gap itself has very nice views and in my opinion the best view of Monadnock. The "North Meadow" on Little Monadnock has good views also, the summit however is wooded. The trail itself was fairly well blazed. I only lost the trail once in a "swampy" area south of Little Monadnock after the ford of Tully Brook. The balzes on the dirt rds are really spaced apart.

In Troy itself, Gap Mt Bread has some good eats.

The trail along Falls Brook (sec 19) is one of my favorites in the area.

have fun

Last edited:
Brian W,

Thanks for the info! I had found your 19/20 report earlier, and sent it off to the group. We knew about the parking on Rt. 124, but I'm glad to hear we will at least be heading downhill to start the M & M section.

What time are you starting? I tend to hike Gap Saturday mornings and might be interested in joining along the trail for a bit.

Another thing I thought of, you might consider dropping the dogs/owners of at the trail head and then park the car. Rangers might not let you park if they see them

brianW said:
Rangers might not let you park if they see them
Do you really think there will actually be rangers (plural) at the bottom of the Old Toll Road Trail at 7:45a? I've had trouble finding one at the (way busier) state park entrance trailheads. How about if we get the dogs to park the cars?

Hey,

There must be something wrong with the refresh function on my web browser, because I'm not seeing any replies of interest in joining this hike, other than those of us who were signed up to begin with. Oh, and Brian's help, thanks. I think we are meeting at the take out at 0730, so probably we'll be up at the base of Monadnock to start maybe around quarter of or so.

Memorial Day weekend the Rangers (yes there were two) said they arrived at the Toll Rd at 7:45. I got one of those "please pay" notes.

The drive over from Roylston is about 30 minutes. I will probally see you on the trail. By the way it looks like it will be in the 80's during the day.

The current plan is to meet on Route 32 at Newton Cemetery. Per BrianW, this is 2.9 miles south of 32 x 119 in NH and 5.5 miles north of the Tully Lake parking area just north of Tully Dam. There is a green and white Trustees of Reservations sign, or there was last time I was there. We'll meet at 7:30.

With temps in the 80's, it'll be too hot for my dog to come along. Thanks for the reminder Arm - Yah, the Monadnock rangers got twitchy at the sight of an empty dog crate in my car last December. It was the wire kind, and therefore it was easily visible that it was empty, and yet they still took a long look at it. We will be sure to drop any dogs and handlers at 124 prior to parking at Monadnock.

Thru Hike

hi all,

just wanted to let you all know there is a smidge of love for the MM trail out there! im planning on thru hiking it. perhaps ill see some of yall out there. also i heard there are two new shelters out there this season. anyways, take care and enjoy your hikes!

chris

It kills me but even though this is in my back yard, I can't make it. I have this and the M&S Greenway on my list, but between kid's baseball, softball, and leaking water heaters, I have to say no. Just wanted you to know that there is a difference between interest and inability. :rolleyes:

Last edited: