meteor shower/Mars Hoax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
To continue a thread from Q&A...

It should be a great weekend for camping under the stars. The Perseid Meteor Shower is underway.

The Mars Hoax, which is all over the internet and apparrently in Backpacker and Outdoor magazines, claims that Mars will be as big and bright as the moon this month; not so. It will be big and bright orange, but not like the moon and not until fall (November 7th is the day Earth passes Mars). It's getting bright already.

Here's a picture I took in 2003, at the last opposition. It will look like this:Mars in Scorpius over Mt Passaconaway at Dawn

note: the caption is wrong; it doesn't always appear this bright.

Last edited:
forestnome said:
To continue a thread from Q&A...

It should be a great weekend for camping under the stars. The Perseid Meteor Shower is underway.

The Mars Hoax, which is all over the internet and apparrently in Backpacker and Outdoor magazines, claims that Mars will be as big and bright as the moon this month; not so. It will be big and bright orange, but not like the moon and not until fall (November 7th is the day Earth passes Mars). It's getting bright already.

Here's a picture I took in 2003, at the last opposition. It will look like this:Mars in Scorpius over Mt Passaconaway at Dawn

note: the caption is wrong; it doesn't always appear this bright.

Where did the information come from regarding Mars being a hoax? I did read the mini write up in I think it was backpacker mag. It said starting Aug 29th Mars will be closest to earth than it has EVER been. now I don't know if it will look as big as the moon, but apparently (according to article) it will "show" around dusk and by midnight wont be as visible..

Any info on the fact that its a hoax would be great...I can't see how a mag like backpacker could make that BIG a mistake...its not like its the inquirer...HA :)

M

Thanks!

BTW, the Orionid Meteor Shower is will happen around October 21st. This is my favorite. Mars will be big and bright, and October is so beautiful in the mountains, a great time for an overnighter on a peak. :)