modifying pack for hydration system

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I just bought a Gregory Forester backpack, which I love. However, it does not accommodate a hydration system. I was studying my daughter's backpack, which does accommodate a hydration system, and it seems that the two most important features are:

1. A properly placed hole (her's has a single large brass grommet with a velcro tab that covers it when not in use).

2. A loop to suspend the bladder from the back of the pack so it doesn't fall over.

I was thinking of asking my local boat canvas fabricator to put in the grommet and sew on the velcro tab, and then rig up a loop myself.

Has anyone else tried something like this?

I just set the bladder on the top of all my stuff, in the pack and run the hose through the hole thats left after cinching shut the mouth to the packbag. Cinch lid over as usual. Works for me and on top loaders I prefer it this way as I can adjust and run the hose anyway I want to.

Just to be weenie I should mention that if I was to modify the pack to run a hose out of it, I'd stitch the hole instead of grommeting it and save the 3-4 grams or so.

My kelty hydration compatible pack has all the things u mentioned, but it also has a sheet of fabric which separates the water pack from the main cargo area. Its water resistant stuff.

---Thread drift---

As far as winter hydration the best IMHO are the packs from Back Country Access They run the insulated hose down the shoulder pad to insulate it further.

---End Thread Drift---

I had to replace a Nalgene bladder this year after only a year of use. I replaced it with Camelback 100 oz. Omega. I like it a lot, very easy to fill and close with the large collar around the opening to grab onto.

Hydration Retro

crazymama,

I have used a CamelBak hydration bladder for several years in my 8-year old Gregory Chaos and have recently upgraded to a 100 oz. reservoir. I 'm able to position the bladder/hose without altering the pack. I'm not sure of the configuration of your new Gregory, but in my Chaos there is a space behind the breathable-mesh back panel that runs the length of the pack (from the shoulders to the hips) -- just under the haul loop and between the "Auto Cant" harness system. There is also an adjustable compression strap in the top center of the back under the floating top lid. I loosen this strap before inserting the bladder (upright, with the opening at the top) and tighten it to secure the bladder after it is in place. After inserting the full bladder into the top space, I reach up through the bottom space and "wiggle" it down into position (wedged in between the back of the pack and the foam backpanel). The hose is then positioned from that cavity over the shoulder to the outside of the right shoulder harness and down to a clip that attaches to the tube and the lower section of the harness. (CamelBak makes these tube clips.)

Sorry about the wordy description, but this system had been very reliable. I do carry an empty nalgene in the interior of the pack in case the bladder malfunctions or is punctured in any way. Incidentally, I also use this system in the winter with an insulating sleeve on the tube and the entire length of the tube tucked inside my clothing layers against my skin. After drinking in the winter, I simply "blow back" (sorry about that) the excess water left in the tube and have yet to have a frozen water supply.

In the summer, the cold water helps to cool off my back and in the winter the warmth of my back keeps my water supply fluid and ready to drink.

(BTW, my Gregory is the most comfortable, dependable, trusted pack I own. I won't leave home without it!) I hope this helps!

Pete

Last edited: