Montana info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
HI All, My brother...lucky him, will be spending approx 2 weeks kicking around Western Montana, esp Whitefish, Glacier Nat'l Park then maybe head south to Yellowstone area. My only days spent in Montana, were in my twenties when i hadn't discovered hiking yet, i was awed by the true Big Sky affect, but i was only hanging in the Missoula/Seeley Lake region.(and i probably can't remember alot from these particular days!!! although i did try Rocky Mountain Oysters!!) Any input, advice i can pass along to him is welcome. His first question to me was about bear bells and bear spray!! I assume he can get good general and specific advise from rangers et al, however, if there is specific outfitters, trails off the beaten tourist paths etc that you can recommend feel free. He will most likely stick to day hikes and while he occasionally hits the whites, his hips and knees aren't what they used to be...hope this helps gauge your answers. Also, i just got a GPS, no topo software yet...should he carry one? thanks, in advance...sue

Glacier info

I have a post going for Glacier info, and had some very informative posts sent. We are heading out to Montana on June 28 for 10 days, not sure when he's leaving. It seems like there are a lot of hikes that don't have too much elevation. I bought the National Geographic trail map and the Glacier-Waterton Int'l Peace Park hiking book, lots of great info. Make sure to get the trail map, it helps with the hike planning! The book has tons of great day hikes in it, with elevation gains, and difficulty ratings. Got lots of info on line also.

Will have lots of current info and pics when we get back July 9th. I can't wait, from what I hear it's beautifull!

ctsparrow said:
...Any input, advice i can pass along to him is welcome. His first question to me was about bear bells and bear spray!! I assume he can get good general and specific advise from rangers et al, however, if there is specific outfitters, trails off the beaten tourist paths etc that you can recommend feel free. He will most likely stick to day hikes and while he occasionally hits the whites, his hips and knees aren't what they used to be...

Quite the coincidence. I arrived in Yellowstone exactly one year ago today. First of all, bear pepper spray...YES. Bear bells...NO...the bells are NOT loud enough, especially if there is any wind (which there always is) or if you're near running water. Talk, sing, clap, or carry a can full of rocks, etc. It took me a while to get used to intentionally making noise, especially since I enjoy the peace and quiet when I hike, but if you're in a restricted view area, you HAVE to make noise to avoid surprising a bear. Secondly, if his hips and knees aren't what they used to be, then he's going to the right place. Last year I went to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Tetons, and Yellowstone...and I couldn't believe how easy it is to hike out there (assuming of course you're not doing a technical climb). Everything seems to be gradual switchbacks made for the horses. This is not off the beaten tourist path, but the views from Mt Washburn in Yellowstone are amazing. Go early in the day to beat the crowds. You can avoid so many tourist jams in Yellowstone by driving early in the morning and later in the evening (also prime wildlife viewing times). And while you're hiking during the day, 99.something percent of the people are in their cars or at a tourist spot.

Quite the coincidence. I arrived in Yellowstone exactly one year ago today. First of all, bear pepper spray...YES. Bear bells...NO...the bells are NOT loud enough, especially if there is any wind (which there always is) or if you're near running water.

A more specific question on bear spray...i advised him to buy it out there as it probably is frowned upon on the airlines. He wondered if he could pack it in his luggage. I know this stuff is pressurized...can it be stowed safely? thanks, ctsparrow

ctsparrow said:
A more specific question on bear spray...i advised him to buy it out there as it probably is frowned upon on the airlines. He wondered if he could pack it in his luggage. I know this stuff is pressurized...can it be stowed safely? thanks, ctsparrow
No.

Doug

ctsparrow said:

I would contact the manufacturer for accurate info about how an airplane flight (altitude, pressure) might affect the reliability of the pepper spray.

I would contact the airlines for accurate info about the legality of checking this in your luggage.

Online Montana Hiking Guide Link

I stumbled across this link awhile ago. I just checked it is still up. There is basic info for lots of trails all over the state offering driving directions, elevation gain distance etc.

Hiking

dvbl said:
I would contact the manufacturer for accurate info about how an airplane flight (altitude, pressure) might affect the reliability of the pepper spray.

I would contact the airlines for accurate info about the legality of checking this in your luggage.
See http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml.
Mace/Pepper Spray - One 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. For more information visit www.faa.gov, click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly.
[!]
Elsewhere, it is stated that aerosols are not allowed.

In either case, bear spray is an aerosol spray generally in a greater than 4 oz cannister.

The baggage compartment air mingles with the cabin air--a release of bear spray anywhere in the aircraft could incapacitate the pilots...

Also check out http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...23&parent_category_rn=4500520&vcat=REI_SEARCH bear spray cannot be air shipped.

Doug

Last edited:
bear spray

I was told while in Banff last year that bear spray was not allowed on planes???
It would stink to pay the price and not be able to take it. I do wonder what happens to all the cans that people buy while in bear country and can't take back on a plane???

I'm sure in the parks it will be $50 or more....... We are planning on buying a can while there hiking and it would be a shame to just toss it. Hopefully we will find some fellow hikers that could use it and keep it going around to someone, until a chance encounter forces it to be used!

Darl58 said:
I was told while in Banff last year that bear spray was not allowed on planes???
It would stink to pay the price and not be able to take it. I do wonder what happens to all the cans that people buy while in bear country and can't take back on a plane???

I'm sure in the parks it will be $50 or more....... We are planning on buying a can while there hiking and it would be a shame to just toss it. Hopefully we will find some fellow hikers that could use it and keep it going around to someone, until a chance encounter forces it to be used!

I took mine home on the plane. Oops...Oh well, now I know better. Good idea about passing it along to other hikers. Maybe offer it at half price? Mine cost $45 in Grand Teton. A ranger in Grand Teton told us he always has a can with him when he's on the trails. Also, the bottom of the can shows the expiration date (usually good for three years I think), and when the expiration date arrives he gives them away to his female friends to use against men. He wasn't kidding.

There is an amazing amount of pepper spray and white gas that accumulates in Denali park and other places that you have to fly to because you can't take them on the plane. A ranger I talked to in Denali told me he hadn't bought white gas in years because people just leave it behind...

GNP is an amazing place. The park probably comes up in conversation between my wife and I once a month, and it's been 2 years since we were there. Yet we still practically get choked up thinking about what a great time we had there. Your brother is lucky indeed. My only advice would be to avoid driving the full lenght of the Going To The Sun Road too many times. It's an amazingly beautiful drive, amazingly beautiful, but it gets tedious and gives you the skewed impression that the park is crowded, which it is not. Get out of the car, walk through jungles of cow parsnip, smell the lupine and asters, and jump in a glacially fed lake.

And oh yeah, the trails are like walking on pillows.