Morgan & Percival

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority of people on VFTT who have not done this hike and likely won't do it until next summer. It is most often described in a clockwise fashion hitting Morgan first and then descending from Percival. Is that just because the Morgan trailhead is the first one most people arrive at or is there a good reason to do so? Is there a compelling argument to be made for going counterclockwise? From the description, it sounds like a tossup to me. On loop hikes, I generally will ascend the steeper side. Regardless of direction, I'll be skipping the "chutes and ladders" alternate routes.

I think the ladders are why most people do it CW. The parking area is also much larger. I had the dog, so was skipping the ladders, and went CCW from the Morgan lot. It's a steeper ascent and I prefer to go against traffic.

Yeah, people usually go up the ladders and down through the caves. If you are skipping those alternate routes it really doesn't matter which way you go.