Moved to proper forum: How comfortable are you in the woods?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to you do in the woods?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
How do you hike/camp in the woods?

I thought that this might be an interesting survey. Please don’t tell me that I didn’t include things like weather or the season, I know. It is a simple survey to just get a feel for what the people on this board feel comfortable doing and are doing most of the time. Just a fun little survey not to be read too deeply into.

Already screwed up the caption on the survey and also wanted to break the first item into two different options. One camping in the remote areas solo and the other camping in remote areas with others. O-well.

Keith

Last edited:
Had to vote "day hike only but will solo into remote...." this is more on the simple fact that since we started our family I have not been able to backpack except every few years. Since my girls are gettin older I am planning for to intoduce them to backpacking.

Define "remote"?

Remote as in bushwacking or remote as in not as travelled areas with maintained trails?

I have no problem going at it alone since going solo was my main thing for a while, but I stick to established campgrounds if possible.

cbcbd said:
Define "remote"?
Remote as in bushwacking or remote as in not as travelled areas with maintained trails?

Good point, I voted "day hike only but will solo into remote...." assuming that remote would include a solo trip to Owl's Head or Isolation using marked trails or "well-established" bushwacks (sorry for the oxymoronic term!)

I voted for day-hike only, solo into remote, because I don't do backpacking much (kids +non-hiker bf). Plus I mostly hike for summits and views.

But the woods are my haven of peace. It is the place where I feel the most comfortable. I guess I should try backpacking more, it would be the ultimate serenity. One week, alone, miles away from a trail, on a lake side, with a mountain view. *sigh*

I answered "I dayhike only but will solo in remote areas for several hours" because that is the most coomon thing I do. I have also done a remote solo overnight and I would do it again without a problem. I would not say I was never scared when solo, but the feelings I get from the momentary challanges make me feel very alive, kind of an adrenaline rush.

I will solo backpack across an isolated ridge without worry, yet I do prefer to camp with others for the company and camaraderie at night.

cbcbd said:
Define "remote"?

Remote as in either bushwacking or going into areas that you know (or should know :D ) that you will probably not see someone for at least a day or two.

Keith

Having to camp near anyone else gets me cranky. I will do it only from necessity. It's one of the major reasons that solo backcountry winter camping is my favorite pasttime. The other two are the bugs and heat of summer.

And I get a kick out of hiking or snowshoeing alone in the woods at night.

I have not camped solo in the backcountry - not sure if I would.
I like soloing dayhikes or to huts, but my wife thinks soloing is dangerous (I do not agree in the least - other than driving up north I think it is very safe - often safer than being in a group. If the group is not on the same page there is no safety in numbers.)
With two little kids the overnights are a minimum and to keep the peace I am avoiding soloing...it is more important to me that I get out.

Voted Nbr. 1: camp/solo.

Getting people to go can sometimes be the issue;
Often only the date is certain, so I make do with whatever I've got;
Wanting to be away from EVERYone pops up;
Been doing it since my Daddy showed me way back then;
Don't get the heebies too often or too bad;
I know my general safety zone and have become capable of making rational decisions. Mostly.
As for the rest, Insh'Allah, as our Muslim friends say, it's up to Him.

I would be in the category left out, "camp with others in remote areas" as well as "solo in remote areas for several hours", but voted "camp with others only at established sites" because it seemed to fit the best.

I prefer, when camping, to have others with me, it's not that the night time forest scares me, it's just more fun to have company at my age (23). Maybe as I get older I'll be able to solo camp and be happy bringing a book or something of the sort to pass the time alone in the woods.

As for solo dayhiking, I love it!! Nothing like being in the woods and having complete solitude. I have no fear of being alone in the woods, what-so-ever. Sometimes I'd rather go solo because most people I know and hike with would look at me like I had two heads if I said we were gonna cover 15+ miles in a day. Plus depending on my mindset at the time, I'd rather be alone to iron out my thoughts.

sardog1 said:
Having to camp near anyone else gets me cranky. I will do it only from necessity. It's one of the major reasons that solo backcountry winter camping is my favorite pasttime. The other two are the bugs and heat of summer.

And I get a kick out of hiking or snowshoeing alone in the woods at night.

Definitely a man after my own heart but I usually only get cranky with them if they didn't come with me to start with. Of course I'm usually isolated enough that the few that do pass by don't spot me anyway. I do however see them. :eek: :D :p

And of course, you do have your dog buddy with you, right?

Keith

Last edited:
TDawg said:
Maybe as I get older I'll be able to solo camp and be happy bringing a book or something of the sort to pass the time alone in the woods.

It funny you say that. I notice that when I was younger I always camped solo and enjoyed it. I then started camping with my nephew and did that for several years. He then married so I had to start camping solo again. I realized I enjoyed the company more than I actually thought I would.

Keith

I'm very comfortable solo in remote places either on trail or off. A few years ago while on a solo backpacking trip it dawned on me that I hadn't seen another person in 3 full days... the next day I was dissapointed that my string was broken.

Onestep

I do not like to camp. I feel that there is a bear right outside my tent at all times. I am always listening for one. Even though I do not bring food into my tent. Also I have trouble sleeping on the ground, even with a pad. I solo hike all the time and do not have the fear of bears durng the day at all.

depends how we define remote areas -

I camp in the great gulf, etc.. stuff like that - typically use established sites. I don't mind that at all.

now, I haven't camped in say - remote alaska or sections of the rockies and probably would be a tad concerned about bears, etc.

I don't dig camping alone at all.

I go to the woods to get away from people. Therefore, my hikes are either with one person (once in a blue moon a third joins us)...or solo. One of my trips through the NH 4Ks was with just my dog. Camping is the same way. I have done a lot of solo camping, and have only stayed at an established campsite platform (i.e. Guyot) a couple of times. I have used the sites in Great Gulf a few times.

Like timmus, circumstances in my life at the moment generally have me dayhiking/b-whacking to remote (in some cases incredibly remote) areas, often times with others, but reading the title of the thread "Are you comfortable in the woods" and then seeing the choices, I'm not sure that that choice accurately reflect my overall "comfort level" while in the woods.

well timed thread though, just yesterday, I wrote a -Trip Report- that address, or at least describes my comfort. I'll quote it, so your don't get bored reading about a place you likely have no interest in. :D

There was the serene and embracing comfort I’ve come to expect in the woods, with just a touch of that unknowing “gloominess” that often comes with “naked” untrailed woodland travel. Hard to explain it, but if you've ventured far out into the deep untracked Adirondack wilderness, you know the feeling. It was glorious.

Solo is great

Plenty of time for thinking, re-evaluating and shaking off the tensions of work and city.
But I also like getting family members interesting in camping and hiking. That shortens the distance we go from the road.
I've noticed that I never see large game, bear, moose, deer, when I hike with others but frequently do see them when I'm alone.
As for remote camping, I've never had a problem other than I normally go to sleep much later than I would in a backwoods camping situation so it takes me awhile to get to sleep.