MSR HyperFlow Microfilter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the filter and for the two times I have used it it worked fine. The reviews are a bit manic...either great or sucks! Backpacker a year or so ago really liked it. I have never owned another so no real comparisons to offer. It worked very fast at filling the bottles.

I've been using the Katadyn Pocket for a few years. It's been the most reliable workhorse filter I've ever used and I highly recommend it.

I just bought the MSR Miniworks and the water pumps out so slowly [versus my previous Katahdyn Hiker Pro] that I'm thinking of going back to it.

I use the Miniworks and love it. Easy to use and maintain. I haven't done the research on the Katahdyn Hiker Pro, but my suspicion would be that if it's flowing faster, it's filtering less. If you've used the Miniworks in dirty water, you need to unscrew the core and scotchbrite and rinse it to improve flow again. You can do this mid-stream, as it were, if needed.

I have the Hyperflow, used it on a three week trip and then on a weekend trip. Love it. I find it faster, lighter, more compact, and easier to prevent contamination than any others I've used. It did leak. Trouble shooting led me to a crack in the filter, and EMS replaced it. I read the mixed reviews, but only have good things to report.

Picked up the Hyperflow Microfilter early this year and love it - quick to assemple for usage, easy to pump into a camelbak, very quick to pump water.

I've seen the Hyperflow in action and really liked how small it was. He had just bought it so I was unsure about it after reading the reviews. Thanks for the input. I'll probably return the MiniWorks and get the Hyperflow.

It seems people are having problems with the backflushing when using the Hyperflow. Are there any 'secrets' I should know about?

Thanks for your input :)

What have they done to make this quicker, smaller and lighter? Is there some new technology? It really seems to good to be true.

The core "Hollow Fiber" design looks very similar to the guts of the DE filter for my pool, which obviously is a "high flow" application, and also requires occasional back-flushing. Here's another review. The back-flush needs to be done with clean water, which might require some planning and they don't recommend this filter for winter use, although I don't think the MiniWorks is recommended for winter use either and I've never had a problem with it.

HyperFlow_Microfilter_Cartridge_Replacement.jpg

The core "Hollow Fiber" design looks very similar to the guts of the DE filter for my pool, which obviously is a "high flow" application, and also requires occasional back-flushing. Here's another review. The back-flush needs to be done with clean water, which might require some planning and they don't recommend this filter for winter use, although I don't think the MiniWorks is recommended for winter use either and I've never had a problem with it.

HyperFlow_Microfilter_Cartridge_Replacement.jpg

Thanks You stirred (not shaken) my curiousity and found this

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev... Hyperflow Filter/Test Report by Rick Dreher/

It a little long but a lot of good info.

This review talks about the back-flushing and compares it to his previous Katahdin Hiker.

Silly reviewer! One of the things I like about this pump is how easy it pump. No excessive upper arm strength expended from my spaghetti string arms. I do agree Backflushing is confusing and so I've never done it. Yet mine works great. I stopped reading when I got to the "sorry ladies" comment.

I've used the Hyperflow this entire past summer with no problems. I generally only backflush when it seems to slow down during normal filtering, and that has happened twice in the 4 months that I've owned it. The backflush procedure is easy and takes about two minutes to complete.

On the subject of speed, this past weekend in the Flat Tops, my friend Eric and I had a Filter Face Off, just to see which filter was faster, stroke for stroke. The Hyperflow tied his Katadyn Hiker, both filling standard Nalgene bottles at the same rate of filtration. I have yet to find a drawback with this filter.

On a barely-related note, photos of the trip are here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=549709&id=433526195272

:)