MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
Now these are sweet! Broke in my new pair (early Christmas present to myself) today on Mansfield . Great traction up, down or sideways. Easy to use, great footing. I am a happy camper (even though I missed the summit by a little bit! this is how close I got: Near the Chin )

I was sporting the 25s, which are rated to 225 lbs. I am sure I was right at the redline on the weight rating.

Company link for more info

Happy Holidays everybody!

Last edited:
Thanx for the testimonial ! I was thinking about getting a pair of these. My only concern was that they'd have TOO MUCH traction, and ball-up with snow/ice. Also, going downhill, can you "ski" or did the traction hold you to the slope?

I'm curious... why didn't you push onto the summit?

Just the right amount of traction

I don't like skiing on my snowshoes very much. I find that it happens more often when I don't want it to than when I do. These float a little, but not too much, and if you want to hold and step down, they hold. And I was on cold dry snow, so I can't speak to the balling up issues that might arise.

I turned back from the summit b/c I had hit my turnaround time. It was a strict one since I had to pick up my daughter en route home from college. Even still I would probably have skipped this as a solo effort; between the drifts and the ice on the summit, it was just a little more of a challenge than I was looking for.