MSR Whisperlite stove tips

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is, I've been too unimaginative to figure it out over seven years. The instructions simply suggest the common sense measures to control the spray - hold the bottle upright and keep it away from anything that could ignite the fuel and anything else you don't want the spray to touch.

The only thing I do, beyond this to reduce the possibility of spray is to try to finish cooking without excess pressure in the bottle.

Last edited:
agreed. i have always hated the spray from the bottle. the less pressure left in the bottle the better. a bit of spray may be inevitable. for short trips a canister stove cannot be beat in my book.

bryan

Bobby,
Do you mean when you get home from a trip, or are you releasing pressure each time before putting in your backpack or outer pocket?

My comments are anecdotal (of course) and I am known to do foolish things sometimes :D but I never do the latter. I always keep my bottle pressurized on every trip and only let the pressure out when I get home unless I am refueling from a bump box, gas station or refilling from multiple spares on winter trips. 17 or 18 years of use and I have never had any problems. I have also left them pressurized for a few months in my basement with no issues.

The Mfgr probably recommends de-pressurizing and removing the pump assembly before putting it in the pack, but I simply have never done it.

In any case, when I do remove the pump assembly, I always wrap my bandanna or a rag around the entire pump assembly and let it cover the upper most part of the bottle. When I release pressure (and I do it very slowly), the bandanna contains any slight amounts of gas.

The other thing (that I know of) you can do is when you are done cooking, you can try flipping the bottle over so that the intake hose, which typically sits at the bottom of the bottle is now drawing in from the roof of the bottle and nothing but air (and a slight bit of gas will come out and be burned through the stove.)
The bottle will be de-pressurized in a few minutes.
I do think this (and the XGK) are probably some of the best non-self-pressurized white gas stoves stoves ever made.

Last edited:
I am talking about depressurizing before packing. I really hate getting showered with gas, but even the MSR website says to unscrew the pump assembly, let out the excess pressure, then reseal with the pump or a stopper. Make do with what you have, I guess. Thanks!

We have had this discussion before...

The risk of leaving the bottle pressurized is that if you do develop a leak, a lot more gas will spill than if the bottle is not pressurized. IMO, an unnecessary and easily avoided risk. The amount of gas lost in intentional depressurizing is trivial.

Doug

Bobby said:
I am talking about depressurizing before packing. I really hate getting showered with gas, but even the MSR website says to unscrew the pump assembly, let out the excess pressure, then reseal with the pump or a stopper. Make do with what you have, I guess. Thanks!

I hardly ever do that. I just let it stay pressurised. I keep the gas tank in a large zip-lock and if I need to open the tank to add more fuel I keep the baggie over the pump end. That contains any spray and then turning the baggie inside-out while I refill is usually enough time for the spray to evaporate.
-vegematic

I do something similar to vegematic. I just keep the thing in a plastic grocery bag for all transport in case of a small leak. When I de-pressurize, I throw the bag over the bottle so all the spray just goes on the inside of the grocery bag.

FWIW - I only de-pressurize when I get back home from a trip, not after each and every use.

I stressed over this issue as well. However I took the good advice from this board and now just unscrew the pump after each use and let the pressure out. I loose very little fuel and the spray is minimal. The speed with which you open the top is not important. When the seal breaks the pressure will equalize at the same rate whether you open it fast or slow. Do hold it below and away from your waist with one hand over the top so spray stays on your hands. It will evaporate right off. I store the bottle in an outside pocket on the back of the pack so if it leaks it will just evaporate off the bag and not into my synthetic clothes,food ect. I also would be very careful about hiking with the pump seperated from the bottle. It is very easy to get sand and dirt in the tubes and to break key parts of the pump when it is stuck in a pack. Nothing worse than a broken stove when you really need it.

Interesting, I've always depressurized and stored the pump assembly seperate from the fuel bottle after every use. I guess I always assumed it provided better protection of the pump being seperate. I've never considered the "fuel spray" a problem, just a slight asperated bit of fuel which quickly evaporates.

Not to hijack the thread, but since we are talking about Whisperlites, which are supposed to be multi-fuel compatible, do not try using diesel or kerosene. You end up with one carbon-fouled gunked up mess of a stove!

Whisperlight Stove

If the fuel level is very low or empty I just open the valve and let out the pressure that way.

I've been told that leaving the bottle pressurized over an entire trip is a bad idea, as it can cause the seal between the pump and the bottle to dry out and crack. Not sure exactly how that works, but I've heeded this advice and now remove the pump and replace it with the fuel bottle cap as soon as I'm done cooking.

DSettahr said:
I've been told that leaving the bottle pressurized over an entire trip is a bad idea, as it can cause the seal between the pump and the bottle to dry out and crack. Not sure exactly how that works, but I've heeded this advice and now remove the pump and replace it with the fuel bottle cap as soon as I'm done cooking.
The forces from the air pressure are small compared to the forces from screwing the pump in place. (If not, the seal would be prone to leakage...)

IMO, the damage to the o-ring from leaving the bottle pressurized is probably negligible.

I suggest that you replace the o-rings occasionally.

BTW, the o-rings (neopreme, gasoline-proof) on the MSR bottles are a hardware store item. Or you can buy them from MSR (more expensive). I have seen the MSR o-rings at Reading REI (not listed online). Also included in MSR maintenance kits: http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/accessories.asp.

Just checked my notes:
* Sizes are inside diameter, 1/8 inch thick
* material is neopreme (ok for gasoline, but NOT ethanol)
* MSR cap uses a 15/16 in o-ring.
* MSR GK pump uses a 1 1/16 in o-ring. (Don't know about the newer models.)
* Take your old o-ring to the store to make sure you get the same size.

Doug

Last edited:
I always de-pressurize my stove after using. My brother taught me a trick along time ago and I've used it ever sense then. I store my fuel pump in an old cotton running sock, I use the sock to wrap around the the opening when de-pressurizing, preventing gas form spewing everywhere and then I use the sock for clean-up and storage. Works great! :)
kmac

DougPaul said:
The forces from the air pressure are small compared to the forces from screwing the pump in place. (If not, the seal would be prone to leakage...)

IMO, the damage to the o-ring from leaving the bottle pressurized is probably negligible.

The Whisperlite instruction manual says that it's ok to store fuel in a bottle with the fuel pump attached, but that the bottle should not be pressurized- it should be depressurized after each use.

Also, I've seen fuel bottles get so pressurized that fuel came out even while they were shut off... The results were pretty spectacular. So be careful never to overpressurize your fuel bottle.

DougPaul said:

DSettahr said:
The Whisperlite instruction manual says that it's ok to store fuel in a bottle with the fuel pump attached, but that the bottle should not be pressurized- it should be depressurized after each use.

Also, I've seen fuel bottles get so pressurized that fuel came out even while they were shut off... The results were pretty spectacular. So be careful never to overpressurize your fuel bottle.
I've stated elsewhere that I don't think that it is a good idea to store/carry a pressurized bottle (with a hint earlier in this thread).

My quoted statement just says that it will probably not damage the o-ring--not that it is a good idea.

For those with long memories, Sigg used to make fuel bottles (IIRC before MSR started producing them). The Sigg bottles were not adequately designed to withstand the pressure that could be developed with the MSR pump and some bottles failed. Not something I want to exerience close-up...

(Sigg seems to be selling the bottles again, but marketing them as water bottles. IMO, water bottles that look too much like fuel bottles are a safety hazard. Nothing like taking a swig of fuel late at night...)

Doug