Mt. Biking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother just gave me his old bike. It's in need of repair, but I plan on getting it worked on and giving it a whirl in the southern Adks this spring. I tried it for a few miles last summer on a Kmart bike and thought it was way hard, but it probably makes you way strong!
ecc

I'm in the process of getting the FSR in shape for springtime.....

Sure gonna miss XC skiing, though. Wish I took up the sport years ago.

C'mon next winter!!!

I've been mt biking since 1985 and have many years of racing and race promotion behind me. I still ride a lot and go to a few races a year (as an official) but I do more hiking on weekends now than offroad biking. A group of us still get together on Wednesdays in the warmer months and I still do a lot of commuting miles. I will always be a cyclist.

I love to road and trail bike when I can't get to the mountains for a hike. Great exercise, scenery and friends.

I live in Western PA and ride alot at Seven Springs ski resort - ride uphill (non-stop) to the top of the ridge, ride around up there and then enjoy a finishing downhill cruise.

Old logging Roads

I find the best places to mountain bike are old logging roads. They are not that steep, wide, yet still nice and rugged. I love mountain biking, and even just plain old biking, but I hike and fish a lot more.

Mt biking for sure

I Mt bike ,also stash the bike in the woods for ride back to car after a good hike.Bike a mixed route to work in summer.Mein Zweirad ist ausgezeichnet:D !!

I ride more than I hike, probably because it's so accessible. It's more fun to ride at the local parks around here (NJ) than hike through them.

Then again, I travel to bike trails as much as to hike trails...

If I had a point, I don't remember it.

Mountain no, but trail yes. I have a "comfort bike" (halfway between hybrid and mountain) and so I ride it on the road, bike paths, and through conversation lands to and a from work.

I love heading out on old railroad grades and random paths through the woods. I have to say that as thrilled as I was to see the work done on the Nashua River Bikeway (Ayer, Pepperell), I was a little sad when it was paved. :)

I'm looking forward to trying some hike-and-bike trips this summer, as well as getting out to Quabbin to ride around.

Yup - I have been riding a lot more than I have been hiking lately. I have been mtn biking since the beginning (88??) on a bike with no suspension. My latest ride, Santa Cruz Blur, is a full suspension beauty that will go anywhere and take some serious abuse and let you just keep peddling.

Stinkyfeet is right - Kindgon Trails in East Burke, VT rock. I don't ride in the Whites cuz most of the trail there are pretty boring. Southern NH and central MA are prime locations, tho. This winter has been bad for skiing but great for riding. I just slapped some studded tires on and hit the snow as soon as it packed down.

Anyone interested in Sedona this Memorial Day weekend?

Stinky Feet & Chomp,

Yeah, I hear the Kingdom trails are a must. Rage, Boston goes there every year for a group gathering. I've been a down hill punk up until the past 3 years. I also enjoy So. NH and North Shore, MA. Unfortunately my only experiences with VT biking are on ski area DH trails. I swear those places are designed with bike part dealers profit margins in mind.

MichaelJ,

I hear you on the cruise/trail bike you have. I have one of those, it happens to be my first bike rigged for commuting and mild trail riding. I'm in the process of de-punking my other bike to be more of a free ride bike.

-X

chomp said:
Yup - I have been riding a lot more than I have been hiking lately. I have been mtn biking since the beginning (88??) on a bike with no suspension. My latest ride, Santa Cruz Blur, is a full suspension beauty that will go anywhere and take some serious abuse and let you just keep peddling.

Stinkyfeet is right - Kindgon Trails in East Burke, VT rock. I don't ride in the Whites cuz most of the trail there are pretty boring. Southern NH and central MA are prime locations, tho. This winter has been bad for skiing but great for riding. I just slapped some studded tires on and hit the snow as soon as it packed down.

Anyone interested in Sedona this Memorial Day weekend?

I lived on Candia Road and was a Massabesic regular until I bought a house in Leominster last summer. I miss having that resource and being able to ride on the weekdays before the weekend crowds came in, and having the whole FOMBA trail system to myself while night riding in November/December.

What's the deal with Sedona? Sounds interesting.

Mark_151 said:

I lived on Candia Road and was a Massabesic regular until I bought a house in Leominster last summer. I miss having that resource and being able to ride on the weekdays before the weekend crowds came in, and having the whole FOMBA trail system to myself while night riding in November/December.

What's the deal with Sedona? Sounds interesting.

FOMBA is a favorite of mine as well. Just rode three of the trails yesterday as a matter of fact. Some of them were packed down, but they are pure ice right now.

I just threw the Sedona thing out there. Thinking about heading out there for Memorial Day Weekend. If you want an idea of what to expect...

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-sedona03?&page=1

My husband (AdackR) and I do quite a bit of trail riding and old roads. We especially like some of the trails in the Old Forge area, and the bike loop in Speculator, NY is nice for a short trip.

This spring (June 1st I think) we are going to participate in the Black Fly Challenge, a 40 mile race. I think the name of the race explains itself!!

chomp-

Thanks, really nice pictures. My wife and I were just discussing going to Sedona on Memorial Day weekend for her 50th birthday. Hiking, not biking. Any good information sources about the area that you might want to share would be appreciated.

Steve

chomp said:

FOMBA is a favorite of mine as well. Just rode three of the trails yesterday as a matter of fact. Some of them were packed down, but they are pure ice right now.

I just threw the Sedona thing out there. Thinking about heading out there for Memorial Day Weekend. If you want an idea of what to expect...

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-sedona03?&page=1

Hmmmm, Interesting place! My neighbor just let me borrow an Epic Sedona map. I might get back to you as Memorial Day approaches....

Sedona riding is unbelievable!

I highly recommend riding in Sedona. When we were there the bike shops sold a cool little blue book with all the trails and funky pictures/maps with descriptions. It was perfecto!

I'm also thinking about doing the Black Fly Challenge! Maybe I'll see you there.

Still a roadie(long mountain passes being the best!) at heart, but love the woods!

I only started hiking about 4 years ago, but it seems to even more addictive than the fetish I had with cycling?!

mt biking

i took mt biking up a few yrs ago and love it. but it's hard to find challenging and fun trails that fit my capabilities. they are either just dirt paths/carriage trails (minnewaska st park is nice but you are on carriage trails / good views tho) or killer downhill trails with way too many rocks & stumps for my little body to handle (plattekill)! i live across from the pine bush and close to thatcher park. both are ok places to go after work for a good workout but i'd love to find some longer trails. i've been on some of them up around lk george and you can find some good ones but again many are for those of you who really like the mean rides. i bought a new road bike last year, a fuji royale and although i didn't get to ride it much before the season was over i hope to do a lot more this summer. any suggestions on rides you think i'd enjoy let me know! i have a good full suspension iron horse and can handle intermediate stuff;just don't like a lot of stump jumping & big rock. so many great things to do, so little time. who the hell came up with the idea of working anyway? :mad:

X -
Yeah, it's great to be able to cruise down the road, then just turn onto a little dirt path through the woods, and the bike and tires take it just fine. I don't get as much speed as I'd like on the pavement (average 14, mid 20's on the downhills), but when I need to do about 1/4mph to weave the trees on the little windy stone path on the way to work, it's worth it.

Oh, and those are conservation lands I ride through, though I'm sure people have conversations there.
:D

Latest posts