Mt Cabot Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
balls

hike it if you dare??? no balls no glory???

So, one would risk future relations with a populace to prove a point? Is that correct?

That coercive game can degenerate into an extortion (protection) racket, of sorts.

I have no quarrel with landowners asserting property rights they legitimately own and hold. But I do have considerable quarrel with landowners attempting to assert authority they do not have by virtue of property rights they own and control; that is usurpation. The same applies to hikers, berry pickers, etc..

Of course, I am all for communication and cooperation, finding shared interests and values, and reaching mutual understanding and agreement on access issues. But parties to the discussion must be honest and open, and bring good will rather than threats (overt or implied) to the table.

This is a general statement, since I do not know the particulars of the situation involving the Mt. Cabot trail in question.

G.

All good points, and if there was no question as to the landowner's rights, then I would agree with these point. From everyone's understanding, there is a question as to the legality, but there is nothing definate.

My point is, as long as there is a question, and it's not being pursued otherwise...WHY RISK IT? Why run the risk of a negative impression, and the potential for backlash. There is a perfectly acceptable different route to use.

My point is, as long as there is a question, and it's not being pursued otherwise...WHY RISK IT?
Because, assuring rights of way is also important. I choose to use the other approaches; some folks can come to a reasonable decision to use the trail. It's not nearly as black and white as you make it seem.

My point is, as long as there is a question, and it's not being pursued otherwise...WHY RISK IT? Why run the risk of a negative impression, and the potential for backlash. There is a perfectly acceptable different route to use.

I have never used the Mt Cabot Trail before or after the closure except in winter, when the route from Stark is impossibly long and the fish hatchery route is too dangerous in 2wd and as some people I know found out getting a wrecker from Berlin is expensive. These routes are simply not acceptable to me in winter.
There are several landowners who have land that borders WMNF land. They are upset with bootleg campsites, parking issues, noise, and trespassing.
These are serious problems particularly as at one time the FS used to gate roads right at the Forest boundary so you had to park on private property. I complained about this in a previous Forest Plan and now the gates seem to be farther back. I fully respect the rights of private landowners, but I'm not sure why you think that somebody who owns land on both sides of a road has the right to close it.

At least one of his deeds specifically says that the sale to him does not affect the rights of third parties to use the Mt Cabot Trail - not that the deed is required to say that for it to be true if they previously had those rights.

Do you take the old North Kinsman Trail? Do you take the old Flume Path? Do you take the Old Osseo Trail?
I have never used the "old North Kinsman Trail" since it ceased to be the official route, and probably never will as the new route is nearby and reportedly fine.

I have used the old Flume trail and old Osseo Trail multiple times since they were discontinued, neither is posted. Does this mean that I should also use the old Mt Cabot Trail?

Last edited:
I agree with Roy in that this approach is the only reasonable option in winter for those of us with 2WD. Also, I think that it is not valid to say that usage of the trail is upsetting the "natives" as they use this trail as well. Every time I've been back there, I've been greeted by people with no packs and no cars parked at the trailhead who were just out for a stroll.

I agree with Roy in that this approach is the only reasonable option in winter for those of us with 2WD.

maybe you all have hit york pond road in much worse conditions than i have, but the last two winters i have had no problem driving the road and parking either at the unknown pond trailhead or at the the pullout at the start of the york pond trail. this was in a corolla. the only problem i ever had in november 05 when the bridge just past the gate was being constructed/fixed and you had to wind around closer to the fish hatchery. getting back out up a small hill on the way out was tough (it hadn't been cleared of snow well). since then with the bridge open it's been a piece of cake with a little care if parts of the road were icy.
maybe i've been getting lucky?

bryan

I had no problem going through the fish hatchery in my little Honda Civic, FWIW. My snowtires are top of the line though, maybe that makes up for not having 4wd..?