Mt. Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
I'm planning to do a trip this Saturday and I would like to know to presant conditions and the best trails to summit this venerated peak. Thanks for the help.

Piper trail is one of the more popular trails off RT-16 (on the left if heading north), parking is behind a store. There's a small fee to park there. Champney Falls is nice also off Kangamangus. We hiked Piper around this time of year, trail can have a section of snow and ice just below the summit before you come out of the trees. I haven't seen any recent reports though.

On May 7, MarkJ and I did Chocorua via Champney Falls trail and on to Paugus on the Bee Line. The Champney Falls trail was clear up to the switchbacks (about 2500 feet) and then hardpack snow and ice to treeline. Above treeline there was no snow, just the occasional light glaze of rime ice. We neither carried nor needed crampons.
The trails on the south side of the mountain were completely clear of snow and ice. You just have to watch your footing in places as the ledges were wet and slick.

A group of five went up Chochora last Friday(the 13th). We went up via brook trail and down Liberty to make the loop. Trail was excellent with no snow and only one to two very small blowdowns. I suggest hiking from this side if you are planning a weekend trip because other trails to the summit tend to be a super highway of people in good weather. Just remember that the road you are looking for starts as Fowler Mill road (the AMC guide only lists paugus mill road, which is what branches off from Fowler).

Have fun, chochroa is such a fun mountain. !

Heather.

Ridgewalker, I hope to do Chocorua on Saturday too. I expect to be at the Piper trailhead about 9. If conditions are good, I'll do a big loop using Piper, Nickerson Ledge, Carter Ledge and Middle Sister, coming down the Liberty, Hammond and Weetamoo.

I think most of the snow and ice are gone, but I'll throw my instep crampons in the pack just in case.

Happy trails.