Mt. Equinox, Sunday February 20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Join Dr. Wu for an adventure to the high point of the Taconic Range, Mt. Equinox (3825') in Vermont. Incidentally, this is a New England 100 Highest peak for all the list-folks out there. It is also #10 rank for prominence in the North East US for those who follow this list -- the one and only US list that I love dearly.

I plan on hiking the Burr and Burton Trail, 2.7miles (one way), 2730' elevation. Meet me at the trailhead at around 7:30am if you're interested.

Hope to see you there...

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Hey Dr Wu, Fred and I will try to make this. I've never done much hiking in VT, but I've done some bike touring there.

Sounds fun, I got a road map from mapquest how to get to Skyline drive, but I need details of how to get to the trailhead for the Burr Burton Trail. I wish I had a sled, it sounds like one could sled down the toll road (Skyline Drive) which is closed this time of year. (assuming there is snow there).

Anyway, Fred and I will be in the catskills on that saturday and camping over so that will save a lot of drive time on Sunday. But we should be able to make the 7:45am start time. Give us detailed directions from the south on 7A and I should be able to find it.

Looking forward to my first VT peak... And another on the NE100.. hahaha...

Jay

Jay H said:
Anyway, Fred and I will be in the catskills on that saturday and camping over so that will save a lot of drive time on Sunday. But we should be able to make the 7:45am start time. Give us detailed directions from the south on 7A and I should be able to find it.

Looking forward to my first VT peak... And another on the NE100.. hahaha...

Jay
From The Book: The Burr and Burton Trail begins at the Northwest corner of Burr and Burton Academy's upper parking lot - please do not park at this lot; ample parking is available nearby at the Equinox Hotel and Resort on Vt. 7A in Manchester. Hikers should leave their cars at the upper (west) end of the large parking lot at the hotel and then walk to the trailhead.

From the west end of the parking lot, follow an unpaved sandy trail (the old route of West Union Street) to nearby Seminary Avenue. Cross Seminary Avenue onto West Union Street. Almost immediately on the right is the Burr and Burton Academy parking lot. Proceed to the northwest corner of the lot to the spur trail. Take the spur past soccer fields and the academy's ropes courses. At the fork in the trail bear left uphill to the red gate.

Sounds easy, right? I think so. So, I'll see you there at 7:45. I have a map from the book which should be good enough. I'll try to see if I can get a hold of anything else. See you then.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Equinox

I'll be on the summit for the day. You'll find me hanging out on the back porch,be sure to drop by and say hi.

OK Dr. Wu, I guess we will meet you at the Equinox Hotel and Resort at 7:45 am... I think I've seen the website for the Equinox Hotel and Resort.. I should be able to google that and find an address and mapquest that too..

Oh, I'll even bring a quarter for you, Mr. Robohiker! ;)

Jay

You can't miss the Hotel. It's right on the highway, it's a beautiful historic building:

aaa.thumb.jpg

You just walk up the hill past the obvious prep school looking place to your right, turn into the lot and at the upper end look for this:

aad.thumb.jpg

BTW, get a copy of the Day Hikers Guide to Vermont, it's a great little book.

I wasn't planning on going to Vermont soon, but Jay convinced me, so I guess I'll meet Dr. Wu and Robohiker on Sat. I've never met Dr. Wu or a Robohiker before so it should be interesting!

Richard, thanks for the pictures and directions! I remember you telling me about Mt.Equinox on our drive back last year from NH. Thought I was just working on the Catskills 35's for a bit, now all of the sudden I'm doing a 100 highest peak in Vermont and looking at the prominence list as well!

Danger, danger, Will Robinson! :p :D :eek: :) :p

Thanks Dr Wu for organizing, this, I have caught the VT bug now after my first VT peak. Took a little over 3 hours to get back home and then I had to drop Fred at the bus stop. Gas in VT is cheaper than NY so I'm glad I filled up in VT rather than in New Baltimore, NY.

Had a great day, I will get pictures up tonight and hopefully send both of you a link. Perhaps do a trip report in the trip report section...

Robohiker, I said hello to you, but perhaps you were too cold, your lens was all covered with snow and ice and you weren't looking so happy. I lent you a wind shell when I was there but had to take it back when we left for lookout rock. Next time, I will bring you a nice wool blanket. You're also in the shade, you should move around to the south side for winter sun!

Jay