Mt Marcy via Loj

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rover

My brothers and I started off from the Log Friday afternoon, the trail was well packed down and not much snow but there was some ice on the trail. we started out bareboots, but put on our stabilicers pretty quick. easy hiking after that. We set up base camp in the large lean-to on the other side of the dam and hunkered down for the night. Saturday we dawned our snowshoes and set out for the summit of Marcy. The snow pack was good up to about 3500ft, then the trail had a few inches of fresh snow. Snowshoes definitely helped quite a bit. Only 2 blow downs that were easily maneuvered around. Just before the Alpine Zone we put on another layer, as the wind and temp was dropping. not having crampons we had to do with just snowshoes for traction. Leaving the treeline, the wind and snow made visibility only 10-15 ft. and finding the route was tricky, but with some help from a couple from Montreal we made summit just before 3 pm with beards full of ice! it is a shame that the storm rolled in and we didn't have any views from the summit, but that is how it goes. the hike down was quick (always better going down), and we packed up and headed out. Making the econo lodge in placid by 9. Great trip and as my nephew turned 15 we broke in his new year on mt. marcy!