Mt St Helens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntlerPeak

Reaction score
As there is not much going on today I though I'd throw up a few pictures of our climb of Mt St Helens a few years ago. If anything can go wrong it will and on the way to the climb my trusted slr died and we had to rely on my buddy's camcorder. Now then these pics came from VHS of all things tape. They are not what I'd like but not totally bad. How often do you get to climb St Helens? So we did the best we could at least the tape is fun to watch.
http://www.geocities.com/slr74/St-Helens-1.html

Nice.

We saw it from a distance back in ’97. My son wasn't even six years old at the time, but he was the one who realized we were looking at dust-covered glaciers near the top.

We hiked about five miles, I think, to Norway Pass and back.

Raymond

That old VHS shows its limitations but when your camera is toast you make do. The next day we drove to Seattle where I bought an old Canon FTB used body for like $50 bucks. The thing still works.

Norway pass was impressive, what did you think of those huge trees just snapped off? And the few million that were floating on the lake. I noticed that hundreds of trees were broken off up high and the lower half still standing. It seems they just sheared off where they stuck above the ridgeline. We hiked from Norway Pass up Mt Margaret to the West great Mt. Also took that loop around Independence Pass. A few years ago there was a mud slide along the slopes and the western side of that loop is closed now.

Very cool. I agree on the "you gotta be kidding!" part! :)

This is a good opportunity to point out the live webcam of Mt. St. Helens from the Johnston Observatory.

Antler, I remember we pulled into an observation area where there was a display with a series of photographs (taken at that place, I thought, but maybe not) that showed the eruption step by step. We had to stand on the stone wall to see the mountain. We got back into the car, pulled back onto the road, went around a bend...

And the trees were all down.

It was incredible how suddenly it went from absolutely no indication whatsoever of anything amiss to complete devastation.

I'm sure our jaws must have been dropped all the way to the end of the road, which, as Michael has reminded me, was the Johnston Observatory.

I didn't realize until we began our hike how much I missed the shade trees provide. It was a relief to get in the lee of a hillock where some were still standing.

My son was five years old at the time, so we just hiked as far as Norway Pass. I'd originally hoped to go to Mount Margaret, but we still got a great view. The next day, we wanted to go to the Ape Cave, but Cam had caught a cold during the flight to Seattle, so we skipped the damp lava tubes.

We did a couple hikes later near Mount Rainier, one to Comet Falls and the other from Sunrise around Burroughs Mountain (or was it Second Burroughs Mountain?). That was memorable, not because Susan and Cam saw a marmot (which I missed, darn it), but because on the way back we encountered a big snowfield that we had to cross and Susan and I were scared half to death that we would slip and slide down, down, down onto some nasty looking rocks at the bottom. I carried Cam in my left arm and kept trying to bash my left foot into the bank on that side, because I thought it would feel more secure than walking only in the narrow path, but the snow was too hard to get my foot into. Talk about walking a knife's edge. If I'd ever lost my balance...

Phew.

Anyway, thanks for the memories.

VolcanoCam

You can check out Mt St. Helens and watch the dome grow on the VolcanoCam located here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

It is a static image that's updated every 5 mins.

If you hunt around on the website some, there are some great photos of the recently occurring activity.

My grandmother has a baggy filled with ash from the erruption way back when. She went out there to vist as soon as was possible after it errupted. What an opportunity to go out to see such a mountain. Hopefully she is done errupting after that last scare?! But who knows right? Nice pics too by the way!

I read this morning that there were three days of earthquakes and the building dome in the crater collapsed. Which is regarded as not good. Now I can't find the story as the Seattle Times updated at 2pm (11) their time and it is not there.