Music at Gathering 9.5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
With a HUGE THANK YOU to Unfrozen Caveman :) :) :) for graciously hosting this Gathering, here are our thoughts:

1) Gray Knob and the Bluffs will play two short sets Saturday and Sunday evenings from 7-9. We’ve been practicing, and we’re really looking forward to this! :D :D

2) From 9-midnight, it’s an open jam session. Drums and a PA system will be provided, but please bring any instruments you want to play. As for amps and mics, we’ll have some there but not enough for a big old jam, so one or two more would help. Guitarists might want to bring stands so that you don't have to lay your axe down in any vulnerable spot (and most spots will be! :( ). We’re really looking forward to playing with lots of new folks, with new musical ideas, and it will be fun for all of us to do some listening, too.

3) The “jam” format is really open. It can be anything from solos and duets to multi-guitar Dead-like explorations. :eek: (You should hear Funky Freddy & Gris when they get going together!!!)

4) Please send song suggestions to SherpaKroto if you’d like to play or sing. Chord & lyric charts would be appreciated, too, so that we’re all playing in the same key. (Yeah, I know, after awhile nobody will notice, but still . . . .) This doesn’t mean we can’t be spontaneous, but it gives us a little bit of foundation from which to take off into the Winter Musical Wonderland. :cool:

5) Interested musicians should contact SherpaK via the VFTT E-mail system (so as to keep his E-mail address somewhat private and pretty much limit things to VFTT folks. Lurkers, who of course are welcome, can find some way to contact him.). Edit: Oh, and keyboard players please get in touch with me. Those things are hard to move!

6) One more thing: Bring your dancin’ boots, folks! We’re gonna have us a helluva time! :D

Anyone who has any other thoughts on the matter is welcome to PM me. The goal is to make good music and have a great time. The other thing is that we really should end at 12. UFC is being great about having this at his place, so let’s respect his wishes.

Mad Townie, on behalf of all the Gray Knobs and all the Bluffs (and bluffers, too)

Last edited:
Harps

Not the kind for angels.....the good kind(where's the evil 'emoticon when you need him?)

So I have 4 harps...C, D, G, A. I'm not an "oh susahana" type, more of a blues, dirty, note bending, train kind of sound. I can't pick out the right key to play in on my own. Usually I tell Chip, okay I've got my G harp, I wanna play blues, play something and I'll play along, or whatever. I'm a music theory dolt. Just wondering if anyone else coming to the winter gathering plays blues harp and might be willing to give me some juicy tips?????
(This is so far removed from the topic of hiking.)

Toe Cozy said:
What do you mean? Harp is the quintessential hiking instrument. Weighs nothing and doesn't have to be plugged in.

Anyway, I have the same ones you do, so let's do some battling, or call-and-response, or whatever.

So.... I think I know you, Mad T.... You know my style... I have an acoustic with a pickup, but no amp.... Could I plug into something? And if I find someone to do an acoustic set with me, would we be able to have a mic?

Of course, that is all based on the assumption that I will be there. So far, I will not be there unless I am there. Things may change in the future, however.

Pete_Hickey said:
I have an acoustic with a pickup, but no amp.... Could I plug into something? And if I find someone to do an acoustic set with me, would we be able to have a mic?
There will be amps--from band people, and from anyone else who brings one (we could use a couple more). There will also be a few mics, but anyone who has their own should bring it. SherpaKroto has a sweet PA that will be great for vocals. :cool:

Pete_Hickey said:
Could I plug into something?
You don't really want me to answer that , do you?
Pete_Hickey said:
Could I plug into something? And if I find someone to do an acoustic set with me, would we be able to have a mic?

Of course, that is all based on the assumption that I will be there. So far, I will not be there unless I am there. Things may change in the future, however.
Pete, you will see us there if you are there and then you can see us watching you play, and you can watch us play while we see you in the crowd. If you are able to make it, as MT says mics and a vocal PA are available, and you could also plug the acoustic electric into the same system. If you are not there, send us one end of your guitar chord and I'll plug it in for music between sets. You would be perfect for the transition period from Bluffs to jam session (and then into the jam when things get sticky :eek: ) And yes, things often do change in the future, otherwise it would get pretty boring.

Last edited:
Mad Townie said:
SherpaKroto has a sweet PA that will be great for vocals. :cool:
PA system got a major upgrade for X-Mas. Sort of an "out with the old, in with the new" ;). Will be excellent for anyone with an acoustic/electric who wants to plug in.

Bring your intruments, and we'll have a good ole' jam party!

BTW, I haven't heard from many of you musicians. Please let me know what you are planning to bring. No sense having too many or too few amps, etc.

I never to commit to stuff like this more than a few days ahead of time, but I was just thinking yesterday that it does sound like a good time. I am also a guitar player. If I did come, I would probably just want to bring a guitar and not haul the amp, if it might be okay to plug into someone else's amp for a few numbers. Again it's real tentative at this point whether I'll even be there.

Toe Cozy said:
So I have 4 harps...C, D, G, A. I'm not an "oh susahana" type, more of a blues, dirty, note bending, train kind of sound. I can't pick out the right key to play in on my own. Usually I tell Chip, okay I've got my G harp, I wanna play blues, play something and I'll play along, or whatever. I'm a music theory dolt. Just wondering if anyone else coming to the winter gathering plays blues harp and might be willing to give me some juicy tips?????

In case I don't make it to this thing, here's some advice.
Blues harp players commonly play "cross harp" or "second position" which means the key of the harp should be the interval of a perfect fourth up from the key of the other instruments. So, if the guitar player is playing in G, play your C harp, if they're in A, play the D harp, etc. In theory terms, this places the harp in the mixolydian mode, giving it a flat 7th, an essential "blue note." The other blue notes (minor 3rd, flat 5th) must be achieved by "bending." If you don't care about theory, just go listen to Little Walter! :D

This is indeed very far from hiking, but if it helps you make better music at a VFTT gathering, I suppose it's relevant. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Matt

SherpaKroto said:
BTW, I haven't heard from many of you musicians. Please let me know what you are planning to bring. No sense having too many or too few amps, etc.
Just in case you didn't hear from me... Nobody knows most of what I do, so I'll just play with myself. I still need something to plug into, though.

Pete_Hickey said:

I hope you are there. Pete Hickey Originals make for such happy fireside entertainment! ;)

Pete_Hickey said:
So far, I will not be there unless I am there.

Remember, Pete. No matter where you go, there you are.

I'm currently debating upping my ante and bringing my digital piano. I need to figure out if I have a way to protect it from the cold.

Actually, I'm more concerned about massive internal condensation during the transition from cold to heat. I think it will be fine if I put it inside its travel case while in the cold, and leave it sealed in there to slowly warm up. I just want to be sure.

MichaelJ said:
Actually, I'm more concerned about massive internal condensation during the transition from cold to heat. I think it will be fine if I put it inside its travel case while in the cold, and leave it sealed in there to slowly warm up. I just want to be sure.
Leaving in the case until it is warm works. That's what I do with my electronic stuff after having it out for an hour while cycling at -30.

If you think about it, equipment is not shipped in heated trucks/planes. As long as it remains wrapped while warming.

MichaelJ said:
You could also wrap the instrument (or instrument + case) in a plastic garbage bag to help hold the moisture at bay until it warms up.

Doug

Pete_Hickey said:
...I'll just play with myself. I still need something to plug into, though.
Again, I wouldn't even attempt to comment on that :eek:
Matt: so far we have 2, maybe 3 guitar amps. We're shooting for 4, so anyone planning to bring one up should let me know ASAP so I don't have to chase around for one. No way I can carry any more gear or I'll need a bigger vehicle.
MichaelJ: I'd drop the piano off before going wherever you are going, but it should be fine unless it gets VERY cold. For sound, at the very worst you can plug into my PA.
Steve: I figured the cave was heated, otherwise you'd be FrozenCaveman :rolleyes:

SherpaKroto said:
Again, I wouldn't even attempt to comment on that :eek:
Chicken.

What can I say... I'm a straight man. I give you the line, and it's up to you to do something with it.

Amp: I'll see if I can bring my son's Cavrin, but...

1) I big old tube amp seems weird with an acoustic.
2) Maybe he took it with him when he moved out.
3) It's big, and I hava a small car. If the decision is amp or beer.......

I'll let U no.

Oh yeah...I have a song for Darren.. A Hawiian love song.... yeah, That's what I'll call it.... Someone heard it... Because I distinctly remembe someone saying. "That song is for Darren." or something like that.

Last edited: