N-P Trail advice again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
My thru-hike begins in less than two weeks. Can't wait. We are pretty much geared up, and the logistics are in order.

I do have a few questions however.

I am still waffling on my choice of footwear. I am having trouble choosing between a good pair of waterproof trail funners(Adidas Response Trail Waterproof), and my EMS by Asolo leather hiking boots. Obviously one sacrifices stability for weight/comfort and vice-versa. they are both great shoes in good shape. Recent trail reports mention a lot of mud in sections so i am leaning toward the boots. Also, i am running the NYC marathon 2 weeks after the hike and want to have my feet in as decent shape as possible. What are your recommendations based on experience?

Second, we are really gonna hump it the first few days and plan on being to Lake Durant by day 4. That is the day the State Campsite there closes for the season. Anyone know my chances of being able to crash on the property there if it is closed? Has anyone stayed there off-season during a thru-hike? We are meeting a friend there that nite, and will have wheels. Any cheap hotels nearby? (if we cannot camp). And good pizzarias?

Any other advice before we head out?

Thanks all!!!

RVT

Last edited:
Hey There!

I am in the process of redesigning my NP site (sneak peak here: Avatar12 - Northville Placid Website ) and just finished my second thru-hike over Labor Day.

Lake Durant in 4 days is certainly a brisk pace - just make sure you take time to enjoy the Spruce Lake/West Canada Lake region. It is one of the best of the trip and would be a shame to blow by it.

The trail is extremely wet and muddy this year, with parts of it completely washed out. There were several areas where it didnt matter what boots you had on, it was time to take them off and wade knee to waist deep in mud water.

With that being said, I chose trail runners this year - North Face XCR goretex trail runners REI Link - and I couldnt have been happier that I did. 2 years ago I went with bulky boots and my feet hated me for it. The trail runners not only gave me the same amount of moisture protection, but agreed with my feet much more. Only hesitation I have in recommending them over sturdy boots is the ankle role factor. I averaged about one a day with my weak ankles and clumsy foot work. But it was soooo worth it to me.

My guess is that you shouldnt camp on that property after it closes up.... but that is just a guess. I would give them a call. There are several nice places to stay right in Blue Mountain... cottages really, more than hotels. I am not sure how they handle the off season, but I know the outfitters that is right up rt 30 offers lodging. There is also a few cottages left down rt 30. Another option , if you will have wheels the next morning too, is to head to Indian Lake and grab one of the cheap motels on the way. The corner store gas station has Pizza, but other than that I don't think there is much in Blue Mountain - again, I think the best bet is to head into Indian Lake and grab some eats and drinks.

Hope that helps!

N-P

Holdstrong,

Thanks for the advice. I think i will start with the trail runners - have my buddy bring my shoes up when he meets us. Just in case.

My Uncle has a place in Long Lake, so we thought we would really push it till there, and be able to spend a little extra time in town - laundry, food etc. Your last post may make me rethink that.

I really appreciate all the advice. If you have any suggestions or further advice, keep it coming.

Can't wait!