New Adirondacks Map series - review

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I'm a confessed map weenie and always have been. While I'm slowly learning my way around GPS's and their software, I love maps.

After reading a review about the new 5 map, National Geographic Trails Issustrated series for the Adirondack part, went out to buy a set.
If you enjoy or use maps with any frequency, you simply MUST has these maps.

They are folded like roadmaps and are constructed of non-tear, waterproof material that will take many many foldings to deteriorate. The sections can be purchase individually at $9.95 each. They are expensive and worth every penny. National Geographic worked with the ADK maps, and then improved on them in every way.
They are printed on both sides, with a scale of 1.1m / inch. Latitude and longitude are show along the sides as well as GPS coordinates. Campgrounds, trailheads, small trail mileages on all all trails, woods roads/gates, private land is shaded, and they are multicolored with steep contour elevations shaded so a quick glance gives a very fast picture of the terrain. You can spend hours just looking at one side of 1 map and see new things as you keep looking. Because of their size, good sized areas can been seen in one map size.
The maps are:
Saranac/Paul Smiths, Old Forge/Oswegatchie, Northville/Racquette Lake, Lake Placid/High Peaks, Lake George/'Sacandaga. Each map can be purchased separately if there are certain areas you're not interested in. I'm going to buy a second set eventually, keeping one for home/research and the other my pack map.
They do have one drawback, however. Map legend and information sections, while copious, take up too much space and hide map areas underneath. Unless you simply must have the area that is covered, they are too good a map not to own. I haven't had a chance to look, though, it may very well be that the area covered by a legend on one map, may be displayed on the next one over.
The Mountaineer has the maps in stock, as does the Book House in Stuyvesant Plaza, Albany.

Peakbgr,

Are these maps USGS quadrangle maps? Nat.Geo. Topo software uses USGS mapping, which I like, instead of their own style, like DeLorme does.
The extra info on the map sounds great, especially the trail mileages and the private land shadings. Combine that with USGS accuracy, and it sounds like a winner.
Also, what scale is the map done in?

I found this online store reference which has some detailed info on the maps, prices discounted to $8.50 (although 3 of the 5 maps, including the High Peaks map, are currently out of stock).

They are also available on the Adk Club website. (on pages 6 and 7 of the Books, Maps, and Gear) Member price is $8.96. I'll be ordering these from the Adk Club later tonight. Thanks, Peakbagr.

Mark,

Thanks for the links. These are definitely 'got to have' maps. If there's a down side, it's that the scale is 1:75,000, and that the contour interval is 50ft.. The plusses are that elevations are in feet, and the wealth of useful info contained on the maps. Thanks for bringing these to our attention!

Thanks for taking the time to let us all know about these new maps and for writing such a detailed review. Much appreciated–I ordered three of the maps. Can't wait to see them!
ecc

Just received the Lake Placid / High Peaks map yesterday. Peakbagr, thanks for posting the info ....... you are right, this map is really nice and has a lot of useful information. I really like the look and feel to this map and spent hours last night examining routes that I've done and others that I have yet to do.

I bought the map directly from National Geographic for $9.95 plus $3 for shipping. Worth every penney. Thanks again.

The NG maps of the WMNF published about 2 years ago did not impress me. However, the WMNF seems to have more published maps to choose from so I didn't feel the need to purchase them.

On the other hand, the ADK region seems to be lacking, with the ADK map (the most used I think) being woefully inadequate IMHO. I look forward to seeing one of these maps close up.

Thanks for the info PB.

One of the rangers showed me this map when I was on top of Dial this Saturday. They are awesome. I need to buy it myself.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely like my maps too and even for simple hikes, I enjoy the hike more if I've spent some time checking out a map ahead of time.

I was looking at them in the loj Sunday. I like the design and water proofing, but waterproofing isn't worth $10 since I have to carry a high peaks guide with me anyways (in a ziplock, already with a map).

The more I think about, Peakbagr, the more I'm thinking I'm going to take a crack at the ADK100 probably starting next year. I've been pouring over my Delorme's NY Atlas for the past couple of days picking out many of the mountains that fall outside the High Peaks map coverage area. While I'm certainly satisfied with what Delorme's offers, I was talking with my wife tonight about the National Geographic map series making a nice Christmas present. If I get a chance, I was planning on heading over to the Stuyvesant EMS and Book House tomorrow to get a quick preview and also pick up the new ADK High Peaks guide. But given that you've studied these maps extensively, I was hoping you might be able to offer some comparison to this map series against Delorme's in the specific area of the bottom 50 of the ADK 100 (you know ... the tough ones). Thanks in advance for any input.

PS - after more research, I found out doing the NY County High Points would require me to trespass no fewer than 23 times. Definite list killer! My wife thought it was a dumb idea anyway.
:)

I know this is lame... but ill pay an extra whatever it takes to get a good map of the adk that lists the trail mileage right there on the map - instead of having to flip through the guidebook and look up tha trail to figure it out.

do these uber maps have that tiny little simple feature for me? :) :)

Mileage on the map? Yes

The mileage is given in two places:
- On the trails there are little red pointers at each trailhead, trail intersections, mountain tops, some saddles, etc. The section mileage between the red pointers is given next to the trail. Same technique as used on most highway maps.
- Each trail is also numbered on the map. There is a key on the map that gives the total mileage for the entire trail, along with other info on the trail such as map grid location, usage (hiking, snowshoe, XC ski, horse, snowmobile).

These maps are a beautiful contribution to the ADKs.

Mark S:
I spent a couple of hours looking at the maps, unfortunately, not any longer due to work, family and hiking commitments. My review was after buying them at the Book House and taking a little more time on the map table in my basement. Unfortunately, I can't provide an intelligent comparison to the Delorme.

As someone who's working on the ADK100, though, I can offer a couple of bits of input.
These maps are printed on a tear and water resistent material, a huge jump up from paper maps, particularly if you're taking them in and out of your packs checking routes on bushwacks.
They have LOTs of space when opened up, and they printed on BOTH sides.
The private land boundries are shown, which is a really nice thing when trying to either avoid trespassing or deciding who needs to be contacted to obtain permission.
The shading on the maps make them very handy for either trail hikers or bushwackers.
Some of the ADK100 ranges of peaks are now on one map, and you don't have to drag out multiple maps to look at the grouping, approach, etc.

Finally, if you're looking to hook up on some of these peaks, feel free to contact me as Spence(peak_bgr), Brian(Bushwacker) have been working on some this Spring and Summer and they've been doing them for quite a bit longer.

Peakbagr

Thanks, Peakbagr ... I just took a quick peek at the maps (incidentally, the Book House had 4/5 but not High Peaks ... EMS had all 5). From what I saw, I have to agree with the praise lavished here. The biggest thing they have on Delorme's is that the elevations are in feet instead of meters although I have grown attached to my Delorme's (I have NY, VT, ME and MA). The National Geographic maps are also far, far more detailed ... no contest there. I'm not sure I'd call them a must have, but they are definitely a "want have."

Also, with respect to the 13th edition of the High Peaks Region guide and map, I was somewhat surprised to see the ADK map now shows herd paths. Also, Moose Mountain near Bloomingdale is now officially listed as having a trail.

Lastly, Peakbagr, I'm strictly a weekday hiker ... I work on weekends exactly 1/2 the time and the other half, I'm home with the family. This has generally forced me to hike solo over the years, but this has basically been out of necessity. I'll defintely keep an eye on planned trips and try to tag along where possible. Thanks for the generous offer.

Last edited:
I managed to get three of them in an NYC ems. Very nice, much better than the other NG series maps.

some nitpicks:

"herd" paths are not included, not sure how much of a problem this is- it's nice to have to discover some things for yourself.

Designated tent sites are not included, again may be a good thing, but I think not.

From memory (I'm at work) I dont recall seeing a clear division on east/west High Peaks area or any mention of the rules.

My biggest let down: slides are not indicated. Even if only done by dropping out the color as is done on the USGS topos it would make for the ultimate planning map.

Hope NG has it in them to do the Catskills....

First let me say I really love these maps. As I mentioned before I web ordered all five from the ADK club. All were in stock, and they took just a week to be delivered.

Since we are nit picking. I do find the background shading to be a bit dark which makes the contour lines a little hard to see (while indoors or in dim light outdoors). In bright light they are easier to read (yet another use for headlamps perhaps). Also in the steep areas they tend use relief shading on one side of the mountain - making the contour lines all the harder to see. Come on NGS - do you think we are idiots? We know what mountains look like and don't need the relief shading. The NY/NJ TC has also started to use these shading techniques on some of their lower Hudson Valley trail maps making them harder to read. I fear for the next edition of their Catskill Maps.

Despite the nit pick I cannot recommend the five NGS Adirondack maps enough. Can't wait to use them in the field.

These maps are a beautiful contribution to the ADKs. Can't wait to use them in the field.
Mark, I coudn't agree more. Personally, I would have paid even more, but don't tell NG that. :p As far as nit-picking, any map could be critiqued and either raved about or slammed depending on the use and the user. Some of the herd paths are marked (TableTop, Redfield, Marshall, etc.) and although I wouldn't mind seeing all of them marked, this map is still the best ADK map I've ever seen. OK, I admit ..... I'm a closet map nerd myself. Love any and all maps. :D :D

Peakbagr said:
Just my opinion... There are too many reasons beyond just the waterproofing to make these maps indispensible for the likes of me.

I agree, for certain uses the map looked superior... but I couldn't see myself getting much use from it following herd paths/trails in the high peaks area (other parts of the dacks, on the other hand, I agree 100% would benefit especially when bushwacking and using a GPS).

My opinion too! we're 1 : 1 !! :p