New Bridge at Johns Brook Int. Outpost

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
DEC has installed a new bridge over Johns Brook at the Interior Outpost, 3.1 miles from the Garden. It has wood decking and framework and is suspended by steel cables.

That's great news! :D I've been hiking only 8 years, and have never been able to cross at that point (and never had the nerve to cross a closed bridge over a flume that is also next to a DEC outpost!).

Gee, they replace bridges there about as fast as they do here in Massachusetts.
The project must've gotten bogged down in the design phase.

I've always crossed the "closed" bridge without worrying about it; it didn't fall down while I was on it!

I'm glad it FINALLY got replaced. The "closure" of the bridge endangered countless hikers. I am relieved no one was seriously injured trying to cross the brook elsewhere, at high water, while the bridge was signed as "closed."

My understanding was indeed that it was bogged down in the design phase. There was a battle between the "natural materials" folks and the "build a bridge that will last" folks in a couple State agencies.

(Another constituency, the "tear out all the bridges to restore the wilderness" folks, apparently did not get traction here, thank heaven.)

Based on the description, it sounds like we built a bridge that will last. I think that's great, because the next replacement cycle will probably take even longer.

TCD

How long was the bridge closed? (Just as a matter of curiosity.)

I think I recall warning (if not "closed") signs posted on it as far back as 1981. Could that really be? Or has keeping it in repair been a long-standing on-off problem?

G.

I think the "closed" sign was up for about 5 years. In the last two years the sign had become "hinged" on one side from everyone just pushing it out of the way.

Anyone want to talk about the bridge over Sampson Bog Outlet on the NP?