NEW double plastics $63.96, sizes 6.5 to 8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you happened to buy these recently at the higher price (like me :eek: ) they have a 2 week grace period for price drops on these clearance sales, but you have to contact them, they won't give you the lower price credit automatically.

I have no vested or unvested interest here, just thought the other winter hobbits out there might appreciate the info.

Questions: Are these boots appropriate for traditional winter hiking in the Whites or, is this more boot than would be needed for attempting winter 4K climbs?

The site says that the boots run small and that you should order a half size larger so, does this mean that since I normally take a US size 8, which would be a UK size 7, that I should order the size 7.5?

I tried them on and walked in them and they are more than a half size small. If you normally take a size 8 US, you should order the size 8 UK (9US). These are double plastic warm winter "hikers", step in crampon compatible. They may be a little more than what some would deem as required in winter Whites, but I am getting them for just that and the Adirondacks. I plan on winter hiking, snowshoeing, cramponing, in them all day and then again the next. I also don't plan on covering 20 miles a day in them, however.
I don't believe these would be recommended for vertical ice use by experienced climbers as the ankle is not able to be really locked down tight, but I don't do vertical ice.

"For vertical and mixed ice climbers, the new Scarpa Alpha is designed to be the most lightweight, precise, comfortable plastic boot made. This comfort and precision is due in part to the fact that the Alpha is created on an asymmetrical leather boot last. A lightweight thermoplastic carbon fiber midsole provides rigidity and a low profile rubber sole places your foot closer to the terrain for ultimate sensitivity. The tongue and ankle areas of the shell are made of softer Pebax for climbing and walking comfort and to provide a soft forward flex. The ultimate plastic boot for performance, comfort, warmth. Designed to enhance mobility and enable precise foot placements. Speed lacing system provides quick, powerful closure."

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I just recently (Last winter) started to "test the waters" of winter hiking. I of course think it's wonderful but have always seen people more experienced with this type of hiking wearing the boots you speak of. What is the purpose of these boots? Are they just for extra support and warmth? or are they also better in the snow? I've always wondered.

Hi Sarah -

I am something of a newbie to the winter game too...from what I know the plastics are totally waterproof, so your feet cannot get wet. Also, they never freeze, so getting them on in the morning is never an issue as it can be with leather.

Are there more reasons?

sapblatt said:
I am something of a newbie to the winter game too...from what I know the plastics are totally waterproof, so your feet cannot get wet. Also, they never freeze, so getting them on in the morning is never an issue as it can be with leather.
Your feet/socks/boots get wet from the inside in winter. Frequently more of a problem than water from the outside. In fact, it is possible to get trench foot from using moisture blocking boots. (Countered by keeping your feet warm and dry overnight.)

Depending on the materials used, the liner boot can freeze.

Doug

I can tell you what happened with me. I'm now more into winter and was interested in some of the EMS Mountaineering courses. They require double plastics and have them to use. I've got 4e feet, so chances are slim I'd be able to use their boots. So I have to buy and have the boots stretched to widen them. As to why they are required by EMS; warmth when standing around being instructed seems to be their biggest concern. There are technical aspects to the boots as well for crampons and ice climbing, and such. On a day trip where you'll keep moving, double plastics wouldn't be required, but if you're overnighting the liner comes out of the boot and stays on your feet in the bag. No frozen leather the next day. I asked this question a while back and this is the link to a good discussion;

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7645

DougPaul said:
Your feet/socks/boots get wet from the inside in winter. Frequently more of a problem than water from the outside. In fact, it is possible to get trench foot from using moisture blocking boots. (Countered by keeping your feet warm and dry overnight.)

Depending on the materials used, the liner boot can freeze.

Doug

Both this and what sapblatt said are true. A double barrier boot, either plastic or some of the new leather winter models, will keep your feet warm and dry from external wetness (while summer leathers tend to soak through). As DougPaul says, the way you deal with keeping you feet dry in winter (once you've eliminated the risk from the outside) is by keeping your feet, boot liners, and the next day's socks warm in your sleeping bag overnight. On day hikes, this isn't really an issue unless the day trip turns into an overnight but, then you've got all kinds of issues! :eek:

New England Backpacker in Worcester also has a sale on leftover Koflachs. Something like 30 or 40 % off. I have no idea how much their prices are maked up to begin with, or how big the selection is, but I thought I'd toss it out there for anyone interested.

Smitty

Alphas are a compromise boot. Not as warm as a full blown double boot and not as nimble as a leather. They may serve some well. A good ice climbing boot. I thought I liked them, but they really didn't work for me. Very narrow and impossible to cinch down the ankle.

Last edited:
Chip said:
On a day trip where you'll keep moving, double plastics wouldn't be required, but if you're overnighting the liner comes out of the boot and stays on your feet in the bag.
The weak point in this day trip logic is that if you, for any reason, have to stop for an extended period or bivy, you may be risking foot injury.

Once, when presiding over an accident scene, I refused an offer of help from another trip leader because I saw that many of the people in his party didn't have enough insulation to hang around...

At night, I think it is better to take the inner boot off and dry it elsewhere in the sleeping bag. IMO, the inners will be drier next morning. Also if the inner presses anywhere on your foot, it will impede circulation to that spot. I sleep with just socks or socks and booties on my feet. But never having tried wearing the inner at night, if it works for you, then fine--do it.

Doug

Here is a review from Backpacker http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,7591,00.html I researched other sites and they seem to meet with good reviews, especially as BD has improved the design since they were first introduced.

Overall, it seems more like a hybrid than a "compromise" and like it will work well for a variety of activities. Besides, I figure it would be hard to find something as good for winter activities at a lesser price!

All this talk of plastic boots is getting me in the mood for winter. :) I own a pair of Koflach Degrees.They have worked really well for me.My feet have never been cold with these boots.I agree your boots get wet from the inside in winter.careful on taking the liners out,as the heel will scrape the plastic and cause wear.

Double Bow said:
Overall, it seems more like a hybrid than a "compromise" and like it will work well for a variety of activities. Besides, I figure it would be hard to find something as good for winter activities at a lesser price!

Well a hybrid IS a compromise of 2 things.
Anyway, these are equiped with the old liners not the new thermo ones which are much warmer.

If you are looking for a double boot for its WARMTH, look elsewhere as this boot is really not that much warmer than a top of the line leather. As well it does not hike as well as a leather either. It's a nice boot but there are much better choices depending on what you are looking for.
If you climb in the cascades or places that are really wet and not that cold this could be the boot for you.
Some people love these boots some hate 'em. You can decide where I fall :)

Fit is everything. Is pretty risky to buy online without first trying. But at only $65 I guess the risk is mitigated.....
climb on...

Snowman, while I believe these boots will work out well for me, I'm interested in your experience with them re. your level of dislike for them. I wouldn't head to Nepal or try to break any distance/speed records with these boots, but for winter over nights in the Whites and dacks, I expect they'll be fine.

Re. buying on line; there are no stores that carry plastics locally. I did return the first pair I ordered (half size off) and it cost me $15 round trip for the shipping. still cheaper and quicker than the closest store that might not have what I'm looking for anyway.

Note that these boots have a rigid sole. More aimed at technical climbing than hiking. That said, I winter hike in rigid-sole technical-climbing leather boots--a little awkward on rough bare ground, but fine on snow, snowshoes, or crampons.

Doug

Last edited:
Chip-
I'm not trying to deter you from buying these boots just trying to communicate what they are and are not.
The ones with the old liners actually fit me pretty well and I liked them. The newer liners changed the fit a lot and where way too narrow and low profile for my foot. If you have the right foot they may be a sweet boot for you.
I was just saying that they will not be as warm as say a Koflach Expe and not hike or climb as well as a top tier leather.
My biggest beef with them is that its nearly impossible to cinch down the ankle cuff tiight enough for my likes. You'll here other complain about this.

i think they could be the perfect boot for climbing in the cascades.
it's not that cold so leather's were great, BUT it is very wet so the plastics shell serves well to keep dry.

At $63 I personally would buy them. Full price would be another story.

Be wary of gear opinions, mine as well. There is not a piece of gear that exists some will trash while others say is the best. Get a lot of opinions.

i hope they work for you!

Last edited: