New electrolyte(?) drink to be marketed in India

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
They can't call it Red Bull.
Full story at this link, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article5707554.ece
but the excerpt copied below may be more than you want to read.:eek:

Maybe they'll call it Yellow Cow?

-----first 4 paragraphs------
"Does your Pepsi lack pep? Is your Coke not the real thing? India's Hindu nationalist movement apparently has the answer: a new soft drink made from cow urine.

The bovine brew is in the final stages of development by the Cow Protection Department of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), India's biggest and oldest Hindu nationalist group, according to the man who makes it.

Om Prakash, the head of the department, said the drink – called "gau jal", or "cow water" – in Sanskrit was undergoing laboratory tests and would be launched "very soon, maybe by the end of this year".

"Don't worry, it won't smell like urine and will be tasty too," he told The Times from his headquarters in Hardwar, one of four holy cities on the River Ganges. "Its USP will be that it's going to be very healthy. It won't be like carbonated drinks and would be devoid of any toxins."

I don't see electrolyte mentioned anywhere in the article.

The description doesn't really say much. One could simply extract water from the urine, add flavorings etc, and sell it. While technically it might be made from urine, the urine would just be an expensive source of water.

Methinks interest is cow urine is a cultural thing and may not translate well across cultures.

Doug

Last edited:
Doug, I love how you translate everything literally.:) I'm guessing that "New electrolyte(?) drink" and "they can't call it Red Bull" is joking around with an interesting link to what most of us would consider an odd ball story.

Doug, I love how you translate everything literally.:) I'm guessing that "New electrolyte(?) drink" and "they can't call it Red Bull" is joking around with an interesting link to what most of us would consider an odd ball story.

Thank you. I was attempting to add humorous commentary. And being salty, it has to have at least one electrolyte, even if the article doesn't say.

Thank you. I was attempting to add humorous commentary. And being salty, it has to have at least one electrolyte, even if the article doesn't say.
Perhaps. Depends on whether you filter it out or not. The article didn't say what is done with the urine. To me, calling something a soft drink generally suggests that it contains sugar, carbonation (CO2), some flavoring, and perhaps some coloring.

You wouldn't want to drink only full strength urine (or water with the same or a higher concentration of salt). Your kidneys can only output a certain concentration of salt and if you drink water with that concentration or more (eg sea water), you will become progressively dehydrated. People have been known to drink urine or sea water diluted with fresh water in certain survival situations. (It has to be diluted by a sufficient amount to be helpful.)

Humor is fine, but the article gave so little detail that it is virtually meaningless. Typical marketing fluff: "Because it passed through a cow, it must be magic!". Whatever sells...

Doug

Last edited:
They should try feeding the cows glucosamine and chondroitin.