New hiking dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Ok...so, after losing our doggie last year, and picking up the new hobbie of hiking for us this year...we are getting another dog.

I must admit, other than having a family pet, I find myself wishing every time we hike and see someone coming up the trail with their doggie (ok...so doggie usually comes first and THEN the hiker!). It just seems so very natural to have a dog companion when hiking.

Hubby and I talked about it for a while and, yes...hopefully doggie will be coming home with us on Thursday. He's a shelter mutt, 9 months old, seemed quite calm and laid back.

The question...how do we TRAIN him to be a good hiking companion?

Wow -- congrats! You will have to post pics!!

I would suggest doing lots of in town socialization before hitting the trails, on leash, with lots of treats. Get a sense of how he reacts to strangers, and encourage calm, positive greetings.

If you can find a large enclosed area, like a baseball field, work on recalls. A good method is to use a 20 foot long cotton line and let him drag it. When you call, if he doesn't turn and come to you, step or gentle tug on the line and reward him with praise the second he looks your way.

Keeping a new dog on a short line in the house (again, letting him drag it) is a GREAT way to get them off on the right foot and establish a strong connection. Keep treats handy (divy up his food and feed him as rewards for good behavior instead of full meals). If you notice him doing something wrong (like jumping up on a counter or person), simply step on the line, he'll feel the pulse and stand down. The minute he looks at you, reward and praise! This will teach him manners very quickly and also he will begin to look to YOU for what's right and what's wrong. As he gets it, add "ah ah" just before the pulse on the line -- pretty soon you can drop the line because "ah ah" is all you will need.

Definately get into a group basic training class. These classes really help young dogs learn self control. And it will also give you a resource should you need one, if you run into behavioral challenges -- having a relationship with a trainer can help nip things in the bud.

I think most hikers would agree that they appreciate trail dogs who:
1. come when they are called
2. approach them only when invited

So I would work on socialization and basic training first. Dogs learn really quickly, that is Right and Wrong, so going to the trails to early could set the both of you up for problems -- best to avoid them from the start by introducing him to his new life incrementally.

Just my 2 cents!

A really great book/video combo is:
"My Smart Puppy".

www.familydoginc.com

Last edited:
As a "w/ dog" hiker I second everything Sabrina said--Very important to be become "pack leader" ASAP.. as "Ceasar" says..Good Luck and have fun..Your pup sure will!!
When you start him hiking go slow at first..especially if there is climbing..check paws often...get a harness..Ruffwear makes a very nice one..Comes in handy whem he may need help up and down ledges
Here's a pic of Shiloh w/ harness and booties (for winter)

Last edited:
Thanks, Unadogger. Your post should be required reading!

Unadogger, as someone who likes dogs, but is easily intimidated by them, and has had a couple of unpleasant dog / dog-owner experiences on the trail, I really appreciate your thoughtful, considerate approach to training a dog for hiking. It's good for the dog, and it's the right thing to do out of respect for your fellow hikers. There's room for all of us out there. :) Thank you!

Excelent thread!!!

I just got a dog. Mostly boxer, female, 2 yrs old?, rescue dog, with a good disposition. I hope more of you that hike with dogs chime in.

I gotta get trained properly. ;)

I'm no training expert having had only 2 dogs in my adult life. The first one came out of a street pack in New Haven and was probably a year old when I adopted him. He would either not leave my side in the woods or had homing radar as soon as I whistled or called. No worries. The second (and current, now a 16 year old pound puppy) had a great nose and liked to sniff out and chase animals but could not relocate me well and got lost more than once. I guess my point is; different dogs have different skills in the woods. Don't be too quick to quit the leash. Training is great to do, but I still feel some have the sixth sense in the woods and some don't.

Hey. Until you can get your dog trained like this, I don't think you should hike with him on the trails. :D

Dogobedience.jpg

As an owner of a two-year-old Lab, I would add that only in the last six months has he matured enough physically for hiking. We've started him very slow on real elevation, while he gets significant walks & play daily.

Of the dogs I've seen on the trails, too many on the high peaks looked dehydrated and raw-pawed. In only one case do I recall the owner being substantially aware of the situation.

I also think most owners over-estimate the effectiveness of their voice control over their dogs. When faced with the excitement of strangers, most dogs I've encountered are subsequently deaf to their owners' calls. It's almost never been a problem for me personally, but I'm a big guy who's experienced with dogs (what if I weren't?). As a result, I almost always keep our pup leashed when out in the world. When he has a track record with strangers in the local park, I'll consider off-leash for the higher trails.

Good luck!

Hey. Until you can get your dog trained like this, I don't think you should hike with him on the trails. :D

Heh-heh! But seriously, do train your dog to poo off the trail. My understanding is that naturally dogs do not want to do their business in the open and do "get" the idea of a treadway as the place they walk and not where deposits are made, and that it shouldn't take too much effort/encouragement to get them to go off-trail for that.

Aww, what a cutie!

Another very useful command when you're hiking with les chiens is "wait," or being able to get them to sit when you're at a distance. It helps keep them from getting too far ahead without them actually coming back to you - very useful if you're negotiating a tricky water crossing, rock scramble, or the like.