New Major Mountain biking trail Newfoundland to Florida going through the whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I gave a ride to someone I know who was meeting his son and planning to do 600 miles going south from Gorham on the Eastern Divide trail. This is a new one to me. https://bikepacking.com/eastern-divide-trail/

I had thought it would be following the Cross NH adventure trail and it does for a short distance and then takes a left up and over Jefferson Notch Road to the Base station road. it then runs along RT 302 until Zealand where it switches over to a snowmachine trail that roughly parallels RT 302 and then Rt 3 to Franconia before heading under the interstate and up over Sugar Hill before connecting up with the Adventure trail again. I have seen this snowmachine trail cutting across various trailhead roads but have never heard of it being maintained as a 4 season route. At most of the crossings its looks pretty rough for mountain biking.

My guess is someone with access to mapping software has connected up lines on maps and are hoping users will fill in the gaps regarding actual field conditions. Kind of like the Coos Trail approach or the International Appalachian trail, lay it out on paper and hope people use it. This approach gave both the Coos Trail and the IAT a real rough start, the Coos Trail is still official non existent in the WMNF as the founder refused to ask the WMNF for permission to build the trail and get it permitted.

I am unsure on the legalities as usually trails in the WMNF need to be officially approved and permitted for specific uses. State snowmobile trails on private land usually are only seasonal right of ways specifically for snowmachine use.

I hope to hear from them when they have completed their trip.

Wonder why they didn't start from St. Anthony as the most extreme northern point?