New MSR Stove design and Jetboil

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
One of my technical magazines (Mechanical Engineering)has an article about new backpacking stoves. It has some info on the Jetboil, but it also has a section on a new MSR design that is getting ready to be sold. Its a white gas stove that looks like it going to make all of our stoves obsolete, it uses a new fuel vaporizer that doesnt need pressurization. Therefore no metal fuel bottle required, the fuel tank is plastic. It looks like a Jetboil design with an integrated heat exchanger and pot, but it should be a lighter pack weight (including fuel) as you dont have to lug a pressurized isopropane cylinder, plus white gas has a higher heating value than isopro. (plus no empty cylinder to get rid of!).

Might be worth waiting a bit if you are in the market for a new stove.

Wow!!! it's kinda scary looking in a futuristic way - Almost like a UFO. I don't know if I am ready to give up my old school MSR (or my pepsi can stove) for something that looks that mystifying yet.

Oh my God!!!!
I just reread my post and realized I am starting to sound like a grumpy old obstinate man instead of a young spry techy gear afficianado.. I'd better rush out and get one as soon as possible....

GSI Hard Anodized Double Boiler

Sherpa,

Before you spend $$$ on a titanium pot, have you checked out the GSI Hard Anodized Double Boiler? The price is right, it's still pretty darn light, and you get better fuel efficiency with aluminum. I believe the weight is as follows:

Larger pot: 5.1 ounces
Smaller pot: 3.4 ounces
Lid: 2.5 ounces

Don't quote me on the exact weights of each component, but the total kit is listed as 11 ounces.

John

Any article that starts off talking about Flyin' Brian is an attention getter right there!

Can't wait to hear more about this stove, though it'll take alot for me to give up my little pepsi can, it's just so simple! :)

new technology

Sounds good; there is an achilles heel to the new design & concept though:

The micro-pore and capillary fuel delivery system will be subject to plugging easily with 2 common contaminants:
1. dirt (found in your fuel)
2. water

The fuel can't displace water once the water gets into the pores of the capillaries, because there is no pressure behind it to wash it through. The only way to get rid of this problem is to mix the fuel with alcohol (which will draw the water in the fuel out, and allow it to pass through) - but this problem will become acute in the winter. Once the water freezes, it's game over, unless the alcohol concentration is very high, which reduces the specific energy of the fuel mix.

Keep in mind that when it's -40, and you have to refill your fuel cannister, the wind is at 40mph and snow is blowing around- it's pretty well unavoidable to have a few snow flakes fall into the fuel can. Been there. Seen 2 stoves fail in 1 day due to fuel line water freezing. The only reason we didn't abort our trip is because of a mis-commmunication, resulting in the 3'rd person in our party also bringing his stove (normally, you'd have only 2 stoves for 3 people to save weight).

so - I'm looking forward to finding out how MSR deals with the potential reliability problem. I'm sure they'll solve it.

the wall......

Re: new technology

wally2q said:
so - I'm looking forward to finding out how MSR deals with the potential reliability problem. I'm sure they'll solve it.

the wall......

Wally, thanks for the info (I didn't even consider the water issue as I'm a pressurized cannister guy! lol).

Rick recently 'hooked me up' with one of those alcohol stoves, looking very forward to field testing it :) (VERY lightweight!). If that works for pennies on the dollar, then I will probably skip this device.

The MSR stove looks really neat, can't wait to see if it holds up to it's promise.

As for the Jet boil, when I first read the product page it mentions it's the first of a series. For those interested in the stove that statement may mean there will some form factor variations in the future. Something to keep in mind....

Warren said:
As for the Jet boil, when I first read the product page it mentions it's the first of a series. For those interested in the stove that statement may mean there will some form factor variations in the future. Something to keep in mind....

I rushed out and bought a Jetboil as soon as they became available, and have regretted it. The old campingaz has been recalled from retirement for Peak Week (9/3-9/11).

Steve

sp1936 said:

I rushed out and bought a Jetboil as soon as they became available, and have regretted it...

Steve
This is analogous to buying a new model of automobile in its first model year - they don't always have all the design bugs worked out until they get some out on the road in real life conditions...