New Years Hike Anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysgirl

Reaction score
I need 21 for my winter 48, I am pretty open to any of these if there is someone who wants to join me?

Madison
Jackson
Cabot
Moriah
Owls
Osceola's
Isolation
Lafayette
Lincoln

Anyone?

I have been watching that!! Yikes! Osceola's look the best and they are still quite scary.

I don't need any of those for my winter 4K list (I've got only The Bonds and Adams left) but my goal is simply to hike every weekend and day off I possibly can. That being said, I can't imagine this forecast is going to change appreciably for me to want to hike in the conditions that are being forecast. I hope it changes, and I'll be watching the forecast closely as well, but, unfortunately, I doubt I'll be getting up anything Wednesday.

For what its worth from someone who has been there, despite the drive to get the list done, try to pick weather conditions where you can enjoy the trip and view along the way. It may seem to be forever to have to wait a few weeks but odds are the weather conditions will improve over the next few weeks. I remember finishing the list including several summits done on marginal days and the first thing I did was reclimb the ones where I didn't get the views.

I have been watching that!! Yikes! Osceola's look the best and they are still quite scary.

Of those that are there I would suggest Cabot, as you can seek shelter in the Cabin and enjoy a hot meal if need be. Bunnell Notch is pretty well protected from West/Northwest wind/ and the entire hike is pretty well in the trees. Plus, from the Cabin to Notch is an awesome sled. :) That said, brrrr.

I've been planning on hiking Cabot New Years myself for a while now. Heading up to the top of the state through the end of the weekend snowmobiling after that and figured I would get a northern peak on the way. I've hiked before when it was -13 and it wasn't that bad, until I needed to change my camera battery (hard to do with gloves)

Cabot can get cold as the last mile of so is facing westerly where the wind comes from and up higher there is far less of wind break from the trees. The last 1/2 mile from the cabin to the summit can be a challenge as the trail drifts in quickly and its easy to lose it. Basically zig zag the ridge line and even if you lose it, you will find it again. Winter is when the old trail up from the west is sorely missed.

One major caveat is that York Pond road tends to get icy and folks tend to be in a rush when driving it, it is real easy to go off the road into the ditch without trying (been there done that). If you do, there isn't a lot of traffic on the road to pull you out and very poor cell service if at all.

Lot to be said fro sticking with a mountain that gets lots of traffic on New Years.

I do need the Bonds as well, not this Wednesday!! But whenever you want on a weekend I will do Bonds with you!! I have done it before in and out Lincoln Woods. I looked at weather for Cabot and it is worse at Cabot (winds and temps) than it is a Osceola's! Go figure, winds from the north......