New York Long Path-Opinions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
In the course of writing on my Shawangunks thread, I just posed this question:

Should the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference and hiking community get really serious about making the Long Path into something that could potentially be thru-hiked, or should we just accept the Long Path as a mish-mash of nice trails suitable for dayhiking and section-hiking? As it stands, there are a lot of problems rendering it very difficult to thru-hike. Lack of areas one can camp and road walks are two outstanding problems. Having said that, the nice sections of the LP are, well, really nice.

It occurred to me that I've often thought about the LP in these terms, and I thought it might merit it's own discussion. If not, this thread will die a quick death, no big deal.

So, to all who currently or may someday hike in Southern New York State, what do you think? Do you care about the LP? Does New York "need" a long-distance trail like Vermont's Long Trail or all the states with sizable AT sections? (New York's AT section is comparably very small and covers very little of the state). Do you have ideas about re-routes? Should the LP be extended up into the ADKs, where it likely would include the Nortville-Placid Trail? Would you ever consider thru-hiking it (or even section-hiking it) if it were improved? Are you a member of the Trail Conference? Would you be willing to work on the Trail or do other volunteer work on behalf of the LP? Am I nuts to think about this stuff?

Matt

long path

startin' out at the george washington bridge in N.Y.C. doesn't sound appealin' to me, and bear mountain state park has some of the most confusin' poorly maintained and thought out trails on the A.T. just my opinion!
p.s. where the heck did my buddy bruno go???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
did he get booted,or did he voluntarily resign?? :( :( :( :(

Hi Matt,

This stuff HAS crossed my mind from time to time. I'm guessing that many on this board don't even know about the Long Path that runs from NYC to Albany and beyond. I've only hiked a small section of it. I don't know enough about its history, purpose, etc., but my understanding is that it was not designed to be a thruhike in the first place. It was to be unmarked, and the sections I have hiked have been, even over-marked. The only sections I've done are the several miles north and south of Thatcher Park. Even within that short span, there have been a few problems: current road walking until private land permission is granted, private easements suddenly closed without warning, etc. The problems seem to be that it goes through private land, and that it was built for one purpose. My understanding is that the northern end would somehow be routed into the NP trail, though I've heard nothing about any progress on that front. I don't see how the few re-routes in the Capital District area could happen without encroaching upon still more private land. Extending to the NP still wouldn't solve the downstate land ownership problems.

No, I'm not a member of the Trail Conference, and my opinions might not be informed ones because of that fact. Sure, I'd be willing to help...but the problem seems to me to be not entirely grunt work but rather something more political. Once it were to become a thruhike, and another long-distance goal, would it then attract proportionally more traffic, causing private land owners to reneg?

I really know so little about the trail, but I'd be interested in hearing from those more experienced.

Post'r Boy: The Long Path does go through Harriman/Bear Mountain State Parks, but it doesn't run along the AT. Actually, they cross one another if I'm not mistaken. I don't know about the design or condition of that part of the LP as I've never hiked it. Poor trails can always be improved of course.

As to your opinion about the metropolitan starting point, I can see your point. However, I've always loved both New York City and the Adirondacks, and I've always sort of viewed them as poles that are symbolic of my state's contrasts. I find the idea of a trail connecting those two areas appealing. Probably just a romantic dream that'll never happen, but still...

Dick, you are correct that the original intent was for this to be an unmarked route and your other points are also well taken.

Matt

i'm aware of the fact that it doesn't run together with the A.T. and that it most certainly crosses it(i passed by that junction this past summer) but I.M.O. NY wasn't a very interesting part of the A.T. hence i can see why there might not be that much interest in the trail you're referrin' to! :)
until you get farther north in NY :D
p.s. your state is my state. it's all part of the geography of north america, i just don't partake in the politics of it. :D

Last edited:
AT - Harriman

post'r boy said:
i'm aware of the fact that it doesn't run together with the A.T. and that it most certainly crosses it(i passed by that junction this past summer) but I.M.O. NY wasn't a very interesting part of the A.T. hence i can see why there might not be that much interest in the trail you're referrin' to! :)
until you get farther north in NY :D
:D

The section of the AT on Bear Mtn, in Harriman SP is not only the oldest section of the AT, it is by far the most hiked section!

Fred

nothing wrong with the long path, which starts in fort lee new jersey, crosses the pallasides, hudson highlands, shawangunks, catskills, schoharie valley (vromans nose & middleburgh cliffs), helderberg escarpment and ends in altamont n.y. - the more trails, the better - - - - really the part in harriman park is pretty nice - especially in the spring when the laurel is blooming or the fall where there is a good variety of reds, orange & yellow (not as many "evergreens" as up north) plus the views are good due to the many bald summits in harriman - the long path also goes out of it's way to cross interesting places (unlike the northville placid trail which goes past the high peaks without crossing any) - i have mostly done sections but there have been thru hikers (i did do the long path northern excursion for the patch).

frytz said:
The section of the AT on Bear Mtn, in Harriman SP is not only the oldest section of the AT, it is by far the most hiked section!

Fred
mmmmm. either way you cut the cake,my opinion won't change. where do you get your water from when you hike through that section??? :eek:

The southern part that runs through Rockland County NY goes through a pretty developed area. It'd be hard to camp out there without someone seeing you and calling the cops! :D I love the parts through Harriman though. I hiked most of that section when I lived in Nyack. I think the trail is something the NY/NJ Conference could hype up if they wanted to, but they need to take care of that southern part first to make it more thru-hiker friendly. Just my 2 cents.

The crossing of the LP and the AT in Harriman is pretty neat, has a really nice and huge sign on it pointing out to various locales and distances... There are lots of trails in Bear Mountain and Harriman so I can see where there is confusion involved, and since those parts are governed by the PIPC, no bushwacking, no rolling of kayaks, stay 300ft from shore, no tent camping... ;)

Jay

I passed by the AT/LP junction this past year also. It was interesting to check out the signs and the distances, we took pictures (that I tried to attatch......)

But the trail (AT) was pretty confusing through that area, seemed to follow a washed out riverbed with paint blazes all over the place, that was the only time I've crossed "paths" with the Long Path. It must be a very busy area with hikers.

I like long distance hiking, but if/when I go out for another hike, it won't be on the Long Path only because what I've seen of it........wasn't very appealing to me......granted I haven't seen much, (ok, I've seen an intersection) but when there are other LD trails.........with views galore, high mountain lakes, tall mountain peaks, scenery that people talk about for ages, photos that win prizes, in other words, other trails are just more popular for good reason. I want to see what everyone is raving about!

Michelle said:
I passed by the AT/LP junction this past year also. It was interesting to check out the signs and the distances, we took pictures (that I tried to attatch......)

But the trail (AT) was pretty confusing through that area, seemed to follow a washed out riverbed with paint blazes all over the place, that was the only time I've crossed "paths" with the Long Path. It must be a very busy area with hikers.

I like long distance hiking, but if/when I go out for another hike, it won't be on the Long Path only because what I've seen of it........wasn't very appealing to me......granted I haven't seen much, (ok, I've seen an intersection) but when there are other LD trails.........with views galore, high mountain lakes, tall mountain peaks, scenery that people talk about for ages, photos that win prizes, in other words, other trails are just more popular for good reason. I want to see what everyone is raving about!
RIGHT ON SISTER!!!!
can you say triple crown?????? :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

Artex said:
The southern part that runs through Rockland County NY goes through a pretty developed area.
but at least they aren't claiming to be a "path through the wilderness" (like that long one with all the ski lifts at the summits).

Sleeping Giant said:
And the fire towers.
firetowers!!! what about the tent platforms, cabins, leantos, outhouses, caretakers, ski slopes, etc. - - - - but once we close down the ski slopes and the trees grow back, we will need those firetowers to get a view from those wooded summits (why would anyone hike up a mountain with no views???) - you can take a walk through a valley and not get views just as well as going over a wooded summit and not get views (with a lot less sweating)...

really if you want wildernesss, you can just go someplace else to hike and leave all that stuff there for the ones that enjoy it (firetowers, etc.).

Last edited:
A brief overview of the Long Path is on the NY/NJ Trail Conference website. I would like to see the LP rerouted off roads as much as possible making thru hikes more attractive. The original intent was to eventually connect to the Northville - Lake Placid Trail. There are also current connections with the Shawangunk Ridge and Finger Lakes trails. I am a member of the Trail Conference and would be willing to work on the trail.

As Matt mentioned in the Shawangunks in the News thread, I also had mixed feelings about the reroute proposed for the Shawangunk - Catskill connection. But after I started to whack around in the recent western additions to the Minnewaska State Park I began to get stoked about the reroute - some neat cliffs, open areas, and rock formations over there. I have also whacked the Vernooy Kill below the waterfalls and the stream is attractive. So I am all in favor of the reroute. The current Shawangunk attractions on the LP (Castle Rock and Rainbow Falls) will still be great hiking destinations in their own rights - just off the LP when the reroute occurs.

Nobody should be put off by the southern urban southern sections. It was intended to provide direct access to the metropolis. Further upstate there is a lot of wilderness and scenery on Schunemunk, the Shawangunks, and in the Catskills. It covers some of the best the Catskills has to offer: Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg, the eastern half of the Devil's Path, and nearly all of the Escarpment Trail.

americas finest?? i think not

it amazes me how one can perpetuate misery and be happy with it, must be because of the enviroment they were brought up in. you reap what you sow, this is your harvest. :D
p.s. back on the ignore list you go!!!
being on the last page of the rep scale and havin' the most posts on that page speaks for itself, i say.....take a hike!!!

Last edited:
post'r boy said:
it amazes me how one can perpetuate misery and be happy with it, must be because of the enviroment they were brought up in. you reap what you sow, this is your harvest. :D

Hello?!?! I think Matt is looking for CONSTRUCTIVE opinions and ideas about NY's Long Path, not a bunch of elitist BS from someone who has NEVER hiked on it! Personally I wouldn't dream of criticizing a trail I've never hiked on, but I guess there are a few here on VFTT who think they know everything:rolleyes:

Just for your information, the Long Path goes through and over the Shawangunks and the Catskills where there are lots of waterfalls, wildlife, and great views, including ones from Slide, Wittenberg, Peekamoose, the Escarpment Trail, Blackhead, etc. Frankly, before criticizing a trail it might be a good idea to look at a map of it or maybe even hike a section or 2 of it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as my opinion goes, I think the LP has many lovely sections and is a great idea which needs a bit more work. I would like to see more coordinated effort put in to getting the Long Path off of the road and into the woods, would love to eventually see it hook up with NLP trail in the ADK's. With a few more connector trails the Catskills could evolve into a great SYSTEM of trails.

In particular I would love to see the proposed LP Catskill reroute happen over the Romer Mt. ridgeline from Wittenberg, which would take it off of Woodland Valley Rd. I am eager to help with this reroute as well :)

Last edited:
funkyfreddy said:
Hello?!?! I think Matt is looking for CONSTRUCTIVE opinions and ideas about NY's Long Path

Thank you FF. The Long Path does have some nicely routed sections, as well as some which could use improvement. I think there is a place in our world for trails such as these (ones that come to mind are the C&O Canal in MD and the Horseshoe Trail in PA) that offer a potential connection from the urban environment to a somewhat wilder setting.