New York Long Path-Opinions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
post'r boy said:
it amazes me how one can perpetuate misery and be happy with it, must be because of the enviroment they were brought up in. you reap what you sow, this is your harvest..
funkyfreddy said:
Hello?!?! I think Matt is looking for CONSTRUCTIVE opinions and ideas about NY's Long Path, not a bunch of elitist BS from someone who has NEVER hiked on it! Personally I wouldn't dream of criticizing a trail I've never hiked on, but I guess there are a few here on VFTT who think they know everything.
he never has anything meaningful to say - he blurts out weird stuff without even being provoked
funkyfreddy said:
Just for your information, the Long Path goes through and over the Shawangunks and the Catskills where there are lots of waterfalls, wildlife, and great views, including ones from Slide, Wittenberg, Peekamoose, the Escarpment Trail, Overlook, etc. Frankly, before criticizing a trail it might be a good idea to look at a map of it or maybe even hike a section or 2 of it.
the long path is pretty new compared to the other long distance trails, much of the the state was already populated at the time it was planned - if a person doesn't want people walking around on thier property, you have to go around it on public property (a road) - - i did the 23 mile quinnipiac trail one day a few weeks ago, and that has some road walks too (but no one is bad mouthing it) - - - - and the long path is one that you have to earn the patch from (not like others where you can just buy the patch someplace, or show up at the pizza party and give them the money without even being checked out to see if you are "entitled" to wear it).

Last edited:
Mark, you make a good case for that Shawangunk reroute. You've also given me an excuse to buy the newer Gunks maps to replace my beat-up ones. I also agree w/ Freddy about the Woodland Valley reroute-I think it should be a Trail Conference priority. There are some cliffy areas on that Romer-Pleasant ridge which you can see as you approach Phoenicia on RT 28-perhaps the reroute will go near these. The only thing that looks to be a physical problem w/ that section is the area where the trail will go into the little notch between Wittenberg and Cross Mt. It looks like it might be steep and/or sidehill in there. Hopefully it will be designed to minimize erosion problems.

Ken, what does the LP Northern Excursion encompass? Does it in include the Catskills, or is it the section north of the blue line, or what? Did you section hike it or thru-hike it in one shot? From the guide it seems as if almost every section from the Catskills on north has a campable area, albeit w/ limitations. I'm a pretty inexperienced backpacker, but if I ever work my way up to many-day trips, I'd give the northern half some thought.

Matt

mcorsar said:
Ken, what does the LP Northern Excursion encompass?
if anyone is interested i will be leading an AMC/3500 club joint hike next saturday of the southern section of the "excursion" - you don't have to be a member to participate (e-mail [email protected] ).

the "northern excursion" is the eight sections that the long path north hiking club maintains, from schoharie reservoir dam to altamont - - i was hiking vroman's nose one day in august 2004 (a small hike, but if you go up and down every trail and the old woods road that goes behind the cliffs it can be 6 miles) it is part of the long path - near the summit is a register - while signing i noticed a bunch of brochures - it was for "the long path northern excursion" which is the eight 10-12 mile sections north of schoharie reservoir dam - - that brochure sat around until one day in mid november - my friend and i were sitting around my house (i have land and a house 1 mile up the road from vroman's nose) and we were drinking beer one night, we were going to go to the adirondacks in the morning... well, when i woke up early in the morning i had a headache, i called up to mike to see if he wanted to go - he had a stomachache - we decided to go back to sleep for a few hours - when we woke up it was too late to go to the adirondacks, so now what??? sitting on the table was the brochure "long path northern excursion" with a picture of the patch on the cover - we knew how to find the end north of thatcher state park so we began there and worked our way around to the the indian ladder trail and out finishing our first section that day - then i did a few sections by myself (with help from non-hiking friends to get to the beginning and end or spot my car at the end) - i did a few more sections with mike and finished in december (mike had 4 sections now) - in early january i got the patch that i expected along with a certificate that i didn't know was included (or in new england they call it a scroll) - to my surprise it was numbered "001" (that means no one in the club that maintains it has done all eight sections????) - so it looks like i was the first - eventually my friend finished it in may (but he was #3, we found out that he missed being #2 by 4 days) - - - - if anyone wants info on it you can e-mail me ( [email protected] ) and i will send you the brochure/tally sheet - or if you want you can join the hike that i am leading as a joint hike of the AMC and 3500 club (clubs like hikes in non-hunting areas during gun season) on the section from schoharie reservoir to blenheim next weekend (i will not be doing the 2 miles of roadwalk since the 2 clubs insurance probably wouldn't like that so it will be about 10 miles) - it passes schoharie creek gorge, minekill falls and the new york state power authority visitors center through non-gun hunting state park and n.y.s. power authority lands.

Last edited:
funkyfreddy said:
Hello?!?! I think Matt is looking for CONSTRUCTIVE opinions and ideas about NY's Long Path, not a bunch of elitist BS from someone who has NEVER hiked on it! Personally I wouldn't dream of criticizing a trail I've never hiked on, but I guess there are a few here on VFTT who think they know everything:rolleyes:

Just for your information, the Long Path goes through and over the Shawangunks and the Catskills where there are lots of waterfalls, wildlife, and great views, including ones from Slide, Wittenberg, Peekamoose, the Escarpment Trail, Blackhead, etc. Frankly, before criticizing a trail it might be a good idea to look at a map of it or maybe even hike a section or 2 of it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as my opinion goes, I think the LP has many lovely sections and is a great idea which needs a bit more work. I would like to see more coordinated effort put in to getting the Long Path off of the road and into the woods, would love to eventually see it hook up with NLP trail in the ADK's. With a few more connector trails the Catskills could evolve into a great SYSTEM of trails.

In particular I would love to see the proposed LP Catskill reroute happen over the Romer Mt. ridgeline from Wittenberg, which would take it off of Woodland Valley Rd. I am eager to help with this reroute as well :)

never did criticize the long path. check my posts. read carefully. elitist??? not at all,never was,never will be.
i did mention that it must get better the farther north you go. i did mention that it didn't sound that appealin' to me. i did mention that the trail through harriman/bear state park was confusin' and poorly maintained.
i did respond to a negative post made by others. what's the problem???
new york,massachusetts,new hampshire,vermont,maine,connecticut rhode island, they're all political boundaries, try not to take it too personally! :D
p.s. my last post on this thread was not directed at matt. try not to draw your ammo so quickly.

The long path is a newer trail. It is not like the AT where it has been around for a long time. Look how long it took to get the AT off roads and private property. There are still sections that require road walks and onto privat land. The long path is still at work. Eventually it is going to end at Whiteface and be off roads. It is just going to take time.

You also have the option to take the AT south from Harriman and then get onto the Shawangunk Ridge trail at High Point NJ and then take the SRT to the gunks where you rejoin the Long Path. A little more scenic doing it that way.

Long Path Rambling

I have run the long path from; Fort Lee to Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory (~ 13 miles), entire length through Harriman (~ 22 miles), Slide/Cornell/Wittenburg (~ 7 miles), Devil's Path/FLT (~ 11 miles), and Escarpement (~24 miles). I grew up in the Santa Susana Mountains of California, and lived in the San Juans of Colorado before moving to NYC a few years ago. Excluding altitude and exposure, the Devil's Path and Escarpement sections are as rugged as anything I have been on in the US.
A thru hike of the Long Path is not an easy accomlishment. Personally, I have been considering a speed record for the trail. Does anyone know of the current record, if one exists at all?
according to "The Long Path Guide", the trail is 349 miles in length, from Fort Lee in the south to Altamont in the north.
As for the trail, one improvemnt I would like to see would be for a terminus in Central Park, NYC (perhaps at either the reservoir or at the NYC marathon finish line?).
According to the "New York Walk Book" (fifth edition, 1984) the "Long Path generally seeks mountain ridges but occasionally crosses valleys and lowlands". I think following this stated characteristic of the LP should be kept in mind as extensions and improvements are planned.
Also, I am sorry for the folks who felt the Harriman section of the AT was poorly marked and ill-maintained. However, I have to disagree with this assessment. I run the trails of Harriman-Bear 4-6 days per month. There is indeed a very poorly marked section of the AT as it climbs out of Beechy Bottom and up onto the ridge of West Mountain. This portion of the AT through Harriman lacks erosion control measures, and has random multiple white blazes on trees throughout the hillside.
Aside from this hill though, the markers are plenty and the trails are clear. I'll be out there this weekend and the next. If you can recall specific locations of neglected trail or poor markings, I'll do some renegade trail maintenance.
Although I don't think the LP is for everyone, I do think it is perfect for the individual who loves the idea of walking off into the woods from the center of the universe (NYC!). I mean this literally. I regularly run from my doorstep (a stone's throw from Central Park) across the GWB, and into the Pallisades using the LP.
There are not too many places in the world where one does not need a car to enjoy rugged trails (laugh if you are ignorant, but the trails of the west are paved gems from heaven compared to the rocky beasts of the east!). Additionally, one can very easily run from one end of Harriman-Bear using MetroNorth and NJTransit train stations. Given the 200 plus miles of trail between Harriman and bear, and the locations of the train stations, there are many variations of car-free trail pleasures to be had with distance ranging from 23 to more than 100 miles.
Imagine, starting on the LP in NYC, heading across the GWB and up to Albany 350 miles away. Upon completing the trail, one can then hop on a train back to NYC. A 350 mile point to point hike, without driving a car... BAD-ASS! Heck, extend the trail to the ADKs, just make sure it hits some train stations and I will be stoked.
Enough of my rambling and roaming.
Please post to this thread with regard to future actions on the LP, I would love to help out.

I forgot...

I forgot to mention that my avatar happens to be an image that was taken from the Long Path as it passes over Wittenburg Mountain in the Catskills.

I agree with those that say the Long Path is not for backpacking. Yes the trail does not have many wilderness areas until you get to the Catskills. Then from eight miles west of Kerhonkson thru to NY 23 is a whole different story. It is a great backpacking route (with some modifications) including the climbing of 13 - 3500 footers. However, there are many spectacular views along the southern section of the trail. Palisades, Hook Mountain, High Tor, Big Hill & Stockbridge Mountain all offer beautiful panoramas and are worth visiting. I am dayhiking this trail over a number of years and my photo albums of the trail are located here. Start with Long Path I and work your way northbound.

I beg to differ with anyone saying the trail is not worth following. You might meet as many people on it as the Franconia Range Trail, as it is so accessible, but the beauty, historical features, quaint villages passed make it a pleasure to follow. Winter scenes are especially pretty. Even the road walks on a nice winter day are a pleasure to walk. Although the road walks on a couple of busier highways I could do without. But if you follow the AT you have road crossings that you have to deal with and until the 1990s there were significant road walks on the AT that did not stop thru-hikers from traversing.

Long Path VII

On Saturday, April 8, I led a group of 7 on a hike along the Long Path from US 6 (Long Mountain Parkway, Harriman Park) to NY 32 in Highland Mills, NY. Here is the photo album for Long Path VII. While there you can take a look at Long Path I - VI. Below is the attachment to my hike report for LP VII.

BTW: If you read the report, the conflicting personal conflict that I stated was so I could attend the Catskill 3500 dinner in Kingston and receive my 3500 certificate. So I had to cut out early from the hike.

Last edited:
The Long Path has always been such a great idea but so overlooked!

I hiked it a few Septembers ago from Harriman to the other side of Schenemunk....there was a ton of road hiking, plus about three miles of hiking on railroad track. I was also swarmed by yellow jackets while in Harriman....needless to say, I have no fond memories of the Long Path.

To make matters worse, I was actually mistaken for a homeless person as I trekked through a subdivision, I really had a hard time convincing a longtime local resident that the blue blazes on the telephone poles in her neighborhood were, indeed, trail markers.....OY!

However, the sections through Minnewaska and the Catskills are just lovely.

It would be great to see the trail rerouted in some of the highly developed areas -- here on the East Bank of the Hudson, the group Scenic Hudson works with local towns/etc to preserve open space and connect a network of trails (the Hyde Park Trail in my town being a recent addition).

Dog gone path!

una_dogger said:
To make matters worse, I was actually mistaken for a homeless person as I trekked through a subdivision, I really had a hard time convincing a longtime local resident that the blue blazes on the telephone poles in her neighborhood were, indeed, trail markers.....OY!

About 5-6 years ago, in the fall, I did the road walk section between Jenny Lane (Gunks) and the Catskill Park (2 day hikes!). On both hikes, a local dog came out and tagged along for the whole hike - both ways! The dog near the Catskills followed me back to my car as I changed out of my boots! When she realized I was done hiking, she returned to the end of her driveway, presumably to wait for another hiker!
So I had better luck with local residents than you!

Fred

You guys need to come down to my new house and do "the Short Path". I am officially labelling my walkway from my driveway to my deck "The Short Path". There is too much Long things these days, the Long Path, the Long Trail (frequently confused). I am bucking the trend.

I already have a bunch of official A.T. signs and there is a "Natural trout stream" in my basement. As well as a "Hiker trail only" sign there... ;)

Jay

Jay H said:
You guys need to come down to my new house and do "the Short Path". I am officially labelling my walkway from my driveway to my deck "The Short Path". There is too much Long things these days, the Long Path, the Long Trail (frequently confused). I am bucking the trend.

I already have a bunch of official A.T. signs and there is a "Natural trout stream" in my basement. As well as a "Hiker trail only" sign there... ;)

Jay

Good camping sites there? How about fire regulations? If I have to step off the trail, is it 150 feet, or will just by the side of the trail do? Most important, is there a patch in it for me?
:D

I need a trail register!

Camping is not allowed except at designated campsites. Fires are allowed since my designated campsite has a nice firepit and is next to a garden of lily plants.

If you were to camp 150ft off the trail, you would be camping in my neighbor's yard :)

I'll have to work on a patch right now. I wonder if NJ will mind if I put up official NJ State Park Boundary signs (in Tyvek too!)?

Jay